Offer on SONY KDL-40V2900

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Wally West, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Wally West

Wally West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I am a member of Costco and every season, they hand out a booklet of vouchers for discounts in-store. The offer for mid-October is a Sony KDL-V2900 - doesn't give a price but the voucher is for £150 and their prices are usually pretty good (plus free 3 year warranty). Which set is this? As the new 3000 models are out soon, how good is the V2900 likely to be? The only info on the voucher is that it is a Full HD panel. Is this just a re-dressed W2000 bacause the photo (which doesn't state the model) looks like a black W2000. Any ideas?

2. MrLOL

MrLOL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    could be

i dead read somewhere that sony were going to continue the W2000 under a different name as a "budget entry"

3. rb1

rb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone has managed to find out more about this model?

4. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Its pretty similar to the 40V3000(for rest europe).Its a very promising model and better(better specs) than the W2000!!!

5. rb1

rb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just spoke to someone at costco about this - apparently it will be priced at £1174 inc. VAT, but then there's an extra £150 off with the passport voucher.

I'm not sure whether it's such a good deal considering it's not far off the current W2000 prices...

6. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Hmmm,but I think that V2900 has better specs than W2000....

7. Wally West

Wally West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I asked about it last week - got a similar answer - will be about £1000 after voucher is discounted. They don't know much about it and it won't arrive in-store until a couple of days or so before the offer starts on 15th October (to prevent people buying it then being upset that it's discounted shortly after they have paid normal price for it). Asked a guy at the Sony Centre who hadn't heard of it but suggested it might be some sort of "Store Exclusive" - so may well be a Costco V3000 a bit like the Samsung M86/87 Currys/non-Currys thing.

If that's the case might be worth picking one up over a W2000 - and initially at least, it should be cheaper that a 40" V3000, but I was hoping my next screen would be 46" so will probably give it a miss. I'm itching to buy a TV NOW and this wait to see the new sets is killing me! The W3000 didn't arrive at my local Sony Centre as they were expecting so the wait goes on..................................

8. finallycruising

finallycruising
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having discovered that the 40W3000 doesn't have 100Hz and that I'd need to go to the 40X to get this feature, the V may be a good buy at getting on for half the price of the X.

If the 40V2900 iturns out to be a 'store exclusive' version of the 40V3000 then it should be full HD and accept 24p. Apart from a different verson of the 'engine' the V only seems to lack the 2nd component input and the HD terrestrial tuner.

P

9. Wally West

Wally West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    W3000 also has a 10 bit panel and X.V colour - dunno if this is worth the extra premium though........
    Still waiting for delivery of W3000 to my local Sony Centre so that I can see it in action and guage whether it's worth the money for a 40W3000 or for about the same get a 46" W2000 with free DVD/HDD recorder.

10. finallycruising

finallycruising
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hadn't realised about the 10 bit panel. Thanks. Also note that the vouchers at Costco are normally off the ex-VAT price (don't have it to hand to check, though), so that amounts to £176.25 off the VAT inclusive price. Have seen W3000 for £1400 on web. The same site had the old models: W2000 for £835 and X2000 for £1157.

11. harrinp1

harrinp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Been to costco today and they are stocking the v3000 for £999 plus VAT as I guess it will be this model that they are selling on offer.

12. rb1

rb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to the supervisor for the electricals section at my local Costco today. He confirmed that it will be the V3000 that is on offer tomorrow. Apparently Sony decided to send them the "next model up" instead of the V2900...either that or someone originally got the model number wrong?

Anyway, they had them stacked at the back of the store, but won't bring them out onto the shop floor until tomorrow morning.

It's going to work out at just under £1000 (inc. VAT) using the Costco Passport voucher. Hmm, the question is, should I wait for the W3000 to come down in price or dive in and buy this...

13. harrinp1

harrinp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good news it is the better model. To be honest I am pretty lost with the Sony line up these days, what would paying extra and getting a W3000 or X3?00 give me extra?

14. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    The X3000 adds the 100Hz motionflow,the Bravia engine pro mainly

15. rb1

rb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, according to this:
    http://www.sony.co.uk/product/CompareProducts.action?site=odw_en_GB&pcReturnUrl=%2Fproduct%2FProductComparisonWizard.action%3FmodelName%3DKDL-40V3000%26site%3Dodw_en_GB%26sectiontype%3DProduct&models=KDL-40W3000&models=KDL-40V3000#
    The W3000 has better audio (I'm not bothered about this as I already have a decent home cinema system), the Bravia Engine EX technology (is this worth the premium?), and a 10 bit panel. I don't know the significance of the 10 bit panel, because the other stats e.g. contrast, pixels resolution etc seems to be the same - although according to other posts on this forum, it should make a significant difference.

16. miw01

miw01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

Yes it was there at Costco today -KDL40V3000, (there isn't and will never be a 2900, well only in the Costco misprint),
    Price was 999.99 exc VAT, the 150 discount comes off before VAT is added which makes it £998.73 plus 29.37 if your not a member = £1028 with free 3 year warranty

Anyone know if John Lewis price match with Costco?

17. finallycruising

finallycruising
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm 'struggling' with the same choice! Apart from the different 'engines', V gets you Full HD and 24p. W gives you 10 bit screen and HD Freeview tuner (for when [if?] it becomes available). X gives you the W features plus 100Hz and doesn't appear to be available yet. I've a separate sound system so I'm not really interested in those features.

As I'm not a sports fan I think the X may be overkill. I think I need to view the V and W side by side to determine if a web supplier's W is worth £400 over the cost of a Costco V.

P

18. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    In a similar boat, looking at the V3000 because it is up from the 'W' series in that it is full hd future-proof and has the 24p engine - but it does not have 100hmz Motionflow. Is that a mega important feature, I know the 'x' series has it but that price range is beyond my budget.

19. rb1

rb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm going to wait for a first hand review of the V3000 from an owner or someone who has seen it in the flesh before buying it. Has anyone been to see it in Costco today?

20. pmj

pmj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've bought one of these from Costco today for the discounted price of £998.73. It is a bargain and a fantastic looking tv (imo better looking than the w3000) and is packed full of features.

I haven't really had a chance to sit down properly with it yet, but the initial impressions are very good. SD from my virgin box looks very good and the quality of the built in dtt tuner is very good as you would expect with all Sony tv's.

I will be hooking my PS3 into it later on and I will test out the blu-ray quality.

For those that are tempted, get yourself down to Costco and take a look for yourselves. They have them on display and with a bit of luck, they will have a PS3 plugged into it.

21. rb1

rb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic, keep us updated on how you get on with the PS3.

Cheers.

22. Crowley69

Crowley69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Why not use the 30 day no quibble returns facility that Costco offer and decide for yourself? I'm off there straight after work in...oh about 20 mins!

23. rb1

rb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was trying to supress the impulsive, gadget-freak obsessed side within me. Now that you've reminded me of the returns facility I think I may well head over there this evening...

24. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very interested in how you guys get on with this TV as I'm sorely tempted to go and get one. I've spent tooooo long trying to decide on the model that I want and I think that this TV ticks all the boxes.
    I'm assuming that it should be better build quality than the Sammy M87 with comparable picture.
    Wouldn't mind hearing some more reports on SD picture through Sky+, SkyHD first though and some pictures would be good.

25. Rockboy uk

Rockboy uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Come on guys, post pix plz!

26. blakeysnakey

blakeysnakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone actually bought this set yet as I'm itchin to know how it performs. I'll go and get one this week if it turns out to be any good! Looks ok on the Sony site.

27. finallycruising

finallycruising
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's not 'up' from the W3000 - that has full HD and 24p. The W3000 is more expensive as it has 10 bit TFT and terrestrial HD tuner for when (if?) it becomes available. Web price of W3000 is about £400 more than the Costco price of the V3000.

28. Wally West

Wally West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think that for a brand new model, this is an excellent price from Costco - web prices currently floating at around the £1100 mark and with Costco there is the bonus of a 3 year warranty. If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted a 46" screen, I think I would have seriously considered buying this V3000 from them. Bear in mind that currently this offer is only on for a week (although Costco do sometimes extend popular offers).

Having said that, I do prefer the look of the W3000 over the V3000's "Piano black" and shops are now starting to offer the 40W3000 with a free PS3 for around £1500 - is a 10-bit panel, HD tuner (not that you can receive anything currently), better sound and a 40Gb PS3 worth the extra money? Might be if you can convince your local Sony Centre or John Lewis to price match an e-tailer and get a 5 year warranty into the bargain.

By the way, not sure that John Lewis will price match a Costco price as they will argue that technically Costco is a wholesale shopping club for members only.

29. Luvverboy

Luvverboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have been tracking the W2000 prices for ages and then decided against one as the new 3000 models were due to be released. Thought about the W3000 but could not wait any longer for the price to come down (its a bit expensive in my view at the moment) so bought one of these yesterday at Costco for £998 about £160 more than a W2000. For that I get a more up to date style, better controller, a 3rd HDMI, 24p etc. Set it up with a Virgin Media V+ box last night. Had to play around with some settings but got it to my liking without too much bother. The light sensor is useful as originally it was too bright for the room. I am no expert but I think its brilliant, especially on the BBC HD channel. The picture on other channels is very acceptable as well but I think the V+ box must be upscaling to 1080i (does anyone know whether that is the case?).

I will not be using the tuners and I have not tried DVD input yet. Going to give a Virgin HD Movie a try in the near future.

30. richs99

richs99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After about 4 months of deliberation and research, I've finally decided to go for this set. I know someone with a Costco card so I shall be heading up to Thurrock as soon as I can. I do however have a few questions:

1) The voucher you need - is this sent out in a booklet to the Costco card holders?

2) How long is this offer on for - I'm in portugal from tomorrow so I'm not going to be able to get up there before the 28th.

3) I've scoured the web for reviews on this model but there appear to be very few indeed - anyone know any links?

Many thanks!

Rich