Offer from Sky.co.uk (£1.00 - installation)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bunbenho, Feb 19, 2002.

1. bunbenho

bunbenho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am going to move to my new home at the end of thos month, and i am wishing to get Sky.

Recently, i check on the sky digital through their website, and it state as the following:

If you wish to take advantage of the free digibox and £1.00 standard installation offer, you are required to subscribe to sky digital for at least 12 monthsand agree to connect your exsiting telephone line to the digibox. The standard installation cost of £1.00 will apply when u select the top package "Sky world with the sky family package". If you choose any other package, installation will cost £70.00. The offer end in 30 April, 2002.

I am aware that i can change the package after one month.

Is there a catch? The offer seems to good to resist! But I saw one of the thread state there is another offer after the 30th April, is that true?

And just wonder do i have the choice of picking my brand of digibox? What kind of audio output does the original sky digital box come with?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There are always rumours that the next set of offers will be better than the current but if you wait now you might still be waiting in 12 months for the next offer:)

The £1 offer is genuine, take out the full subscription then as you say you can downgrade to say the £16 family pack with no worries.

SKY decide which box you get under that offer and in terms of picture performace they should all be the same.
    I've been told the £1 offer is only avaliable online but authorised independent SKY installers can offer other deals and you should get the choice of any digbox that they stock.
    All digiboxes come with phonos for audio output, carry mono/stereo and Dolby Prologic. Audio is also via the RF and Scart connections of course.
    Only SKY+ atm allows you to access Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had my £1 install last week as I moved house and it was cheaper to take out a new subscription than move the dish.

Got a lovely little Panasonic decoder and everything is fine - even though I have a three storey house which is quite high the installer didn't seem to mind so no extra charges for a difficult install.

The main difference between the new decoder and my last one year old Panasonic is the speed of changing programs and checking the tv guide plus a slightly better picture

All in all very good value for money

4. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you request the Panasonic or was it just good fortune?

5. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There's a very technical way of getting the box you want :

1. Greet the installer with a smile and a nice greeting

2. Ask "tea or coffee" very early in the conversation

3. Include biscuits with the tea or coffee

4. ask what box's he has with him today

5. ask that if possible you would like the ........... box

It has worked for me everytime

6. davand

davand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Common - are you an installer?. If not then how many bloody Sky sytems have you had installed for it to "work every time"??:D :D :D

7. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For £37 per month I feel it necessary to try and get a new box every 12 months ! - various postcodes and names have been used to good effect

8. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    hi common

you say that various postcodes have been used - how do you manage to use a different postcode at the same address?.

dean

9. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Change a number at the end of the postcode and tell sky the postoffice has just changed it "that must be why it's not showing on your system....."

Before I get blamed for changing my box by dodgy means every 12 months and therefore "it's people like me that mean sky have to charge us so much" if I had a digibox that would last for more than 12 months without becoming very slow or locking up every couple of hours I wouldn't do it, I even tried to take out thier extended warranty once but was told because the box was 1 week over 12 months I couldn't. I've had 4 new boxes in 4 years simply because Sky could not supply me with a satisfactory machine for any longer than 12 months.

Cheers

10. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    thanks for the reply common. cant see me trying that though - if theres a chance of being caught out, i can guarantee it will be me :-/

Dean