1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offer at Dixons! Good Value?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by beavis, Apr 8, 2002.

1. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would never think of buying from these type of stores, BUT... this doesn't seem a bad offer, or is the tv a lemon?

The price is £965 and consists of a:

32" Toshiba 32Z13B
    Toshiba SD110E DVD Player
    Toshiba Nicam VCR V631UK

I was going to go for a Toshiba picture frame or a Panasonic, but this doesn't seem bad value and it is in Silver!

Comments?

2. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The price is not bad, but the spec's could be better.

If you have a local John Lewis, see if they have the items in stock and get them to price match. This way you would get a 5 year warranty included in the price.

Alternatively.

You could go to unbeatable.co.uk and get the next model up for each of the DVD and Video Recorder and pay £980.92

Toshiba 32Z13B INC OPEN CABINET Z Widescreen televisions £720.96

Toshiba V632 NICAM stereo video recorders £99.99

Toshiba SD210E Z DVD Players £159.97

Ok, it is £15.92 more expensive, and with delivery costs added (another £43.00) it starts to look a little more expensive but does the price quoted at Dixons include delivery?

As for the TV, What HiFi liked it, 5 stars in the Dec 01 edition "High-Quality TV for sensible money - delivers good performance and is well built".

Remember that the DVD player is Region 2 only and needs a hardware modification to make it Multi-region.

Guy

3. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, it's about a month before I move in so a bit closer to the time I'll probably price match either a Panasonic 32pl10 or 36pl30 at John Lewis.

One thing I have noticed is that there is a big difference in price between 32" and 36", e.g. of the models above it's £540!

Can you tell the difference between the two that much?!

Thanks all.

Beavis.

4. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Yes, the jump from 32 to 36 is noticeable.

Though not as much as the jump from 28 to 32.

When I first looked at the Toshiba 36, it didn't seem that big (thanks to the small frame size) until the dealer placed the 32 next to it.

Best way to show off the 36.

If I had first demoed the 32, and then tried the 36, to be honest I would have looked at the 36 as just a little too much of a luxury buy.

but as the 36 was the first demo, could not go back to 32.

Just need to save a bit more.

Guy

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I have the Toshiba SD110E DVD (Multi Region) Player and I have to say that I am very happy with it. Considering the price it is excellent for sound and vision.

The only faults I can note are:

1) It doesn't play CDRs
    2) It has trouble playing the Region 2 Robocop special edition DVD (But then so do a lot of budget players)

Hope this is of some help,

Lex.