1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off topic - can any iMac users help me out with ADSL??

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by dynamic turtle, Jul 18, 2005.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have both an iMac (an ancient one) and a windows laptop and want to get a broadband internet connection.

The modem/router/ISP have not provided me with any antivirus or firewall software.

1) Is this absolutely essential to install?
    2) Does windows XP & Mac OS X have personal firewalls built-in? (I think this is the case with XP?
    3) Do Norton internet security suites require annual subscription?

Thanks,
    DT

2. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Also,

I'd like to connect the iMac using a wireless usb dongle, but the only examples i've seen for sale are for Windows PC's.

How do iMac users use wireless networking without such devices - do they have to use one of those "Air-port" things??

Bemused,
    DT

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Mac OSX has a built-in firewall - look under Sharing in System Preferences. It'll be turned on by default. No need for anti-virus on Mac OSX - there aren't any viruses (about the only use for AV on a Mac is to stop you from forwarding dodgy, virus laden messages to Windows users).

Not sure on the USB-wiresless options - have a scout around on MacInTouch. Or get a wiresless to ethernet bridge instead. Or a couple of wallplug ethernet thingies.

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Cwick - always very difficult getting people to respond to this sort of question ;-)

The iMac is so old, it doesn't even have a card slot (that I can find anyway) for the AirPort system. I'm going to try a USB WiFi dongle first (found one with Mac OS X drivers). If that fails, it's going to have to be hard-wired.

Cheers,
    DT