Off The Shelf Speakers To Match With DIYSG

sjackson

In the next few months the house is getting some work done and I'll be going from a 7.1.4 system to a 5.1.4 system.

I'm thinking about moving my 4 x Volt-8's from surrounds to Atmos to replace the Monitor Audio 265-IDC's. I can make some sort of bracket from B&Q iron bars to ceiling mount them a bit like the JBL SCS-8.

But that leaves me looking for something to fill the surrounds void. Erich has nothing in stock and can't get parts.

Any recommendations on what I could look at for my two surrounds? I could do DIY again but I'd want a kit but off the shelf is easier.

sjackson

This might be an option if I go DIY

Maybe the klipsch RP-600M if I buy off the shelf.

Or the Behringer B212XL

Last edited:

Ringnut

Distinguished Member
That Volt 12 design when sealed looks very interesting as a surround speaker, those would get my vote.

sjackson

That Volt 12 design when sealed looks very interesting as a surround speaker, those would get my vote.

Hard to argue with the Behringer B212XL though for €115 each from Thomann.

Lots of love for them on AVS

I just got one of the Behringer A800 power amps and they are a really solid piece of kit.

Ringnut

Distinguished Member
Hard to argue with the Behringer B212XL though for €115 each from Thomann.

Yes, I agree. You could always get one or two to try and then return it if you didn't like it/them.

I've had Behringer sub amps previously and always found them excellent value for money. I also saw recently a test of one of their mics that was compared to something far more expensive and they were a suprisingly close match.

Ringnut

Distinguished Member
One aspect to be considered of course is that the normal close proximity of a surround speaker would give a coaxial design some notable benefits plus with a DIY speaker the ability to make it fit in with room decor somewhat better.

sjackson

Agreed. Looks are not really a concern as planning to put whatever I get inside the corner bass trap.

1649771700107.png

sjackson

Hard to find stock of the Eminence F110M-8 so DIY might be a no-go

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom