Off the shelf PC recommendations.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Surebrec, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Surebrec

Surebrec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +571
    ok, this is not a PC for me, this is one for my dad, and I don't know why, but he has some fixation with buying off the shelf, either at PC World, dixons, currys etc. I explained to him the downsides of purchasing from companies like this (vague component details, no installation cd etc), but it doesn't seem to sink in with him.

he said his budget is about £600.

he's after a general usage pc with a bit of room to stretch its legs in terms of power. he's not a gamer, so graphics is not really an area it needs to excel in, though to stop his nagging later down the line, I would like something that can handle some older games, albeit on medium-low settings.

I've had a look, but you know what these off the shelf companies are like, they just show the HDD capacity, RAM etc without going into detail.

I've had a look on currys, and going from past experience (this is about the 6th time he has asked me to look for a computer for him, only to then find some excuse not to buy (he's a bit of a skinflint and won't spend if he can help it)) I know they all sell the same models really.

anyway, after checking the models, I have found this:

ADVENT Advent DT1410 Desktop PC Bundle with Samsung S22A100N 21.5" Full HD LED Backlit Monitor buy online | Currys

what sort of performance can be expected from a pc with these specs? what would be a better investment?

bear in mind that as I said, its going to be a general usage pc, with a bit of room to stretch in future. I don't want to point him in the direction of something that is going to be crawling like an old man with one lung within a year

2. betelgeus

betelgeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i can only talk about my own experience and i see 3 problems,it's an advent,has onboard gpu and has no pciex16 slot.

too answer them,advent are a horrible pc world own brand that spend nothing on cooling or peripherals,the on board gpu is very low,lower than my old 8400gt from 4 years ago and that could do nothing and the 3rd problem is you cant buy a new gpu as the motherboard has no slot.

i'll look around and post back later.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    The monitor with that PC is only £80 so don't let that make you think it is better deal than it is. I think one of the i3 systems you seem to be able to get from places like that would be better value at about "£300 and would be plenty powerful

4. betelgeus

betelgeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i agree,the 6gb ram and i5 proccessor seem overkill for what your dad needs it for and the bottlekneck of the gpu.even ask him if 1.5tb seems reasonable for his needs.

maybe an i3 system with 4gb ram and a good ssd with a 1tb backup drive and better gpu would suit him better

5. bryanchicken

bryanchicken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Well, hardware doesn't get slower with age. So as long as he is doing the same things with the same software then it will be the same performance.
    If performance has degraded then reinstall Windows. Voila.

6. Surebrec

Surebrec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +571
    I decided to have a look at the site where I got my pc, and did a quick spec keeping his budget in mind, this is what I came up with.

Case
    STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB

Processor (CPU)
    AMD A8-3870K APU (3.0GHz, 4 Cores) & AMD Radeon™ HD 6550D Graphics

Motherboard
    ASUS® F1A75-M: FM1 A-SERIES, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0

Memory (RAM)
    4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
    Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series Graphics

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
    1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
    24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
    INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
    350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling
    STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

Sound Card
    ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
    10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

how does this compare to the off the shelf models?