Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Off the Shelf HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JEDIBLADE, Sep 26, 2003.

1. JEDIBLADE

JEDIBLADE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hello,
    I'd like a new PC that will play DVD's up to 1080i resolution on a projector only, play PC games, connect to the internet and have the ability to output Dolby Digital and DTS sound to my amp ? Is it possible to buy this off the shelf or will I have to have one made. If so what sort of cost am I looking at. As I've said I dont need a monitor as the games and DVD will be routed through my projector.

Dean

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    If you want one off the shelf,so to speak....have a look at UVEM
    www.uvem.com
    I had one made for me by Phil Hale...excellent service,got exactly what I wanted,and he came and spent several hours here setting it up and ensuring it worked perfectly...a colleague has also bought one and is similarly pleased.

3. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terribly rude I know alexs2 but how much did you pay for the system? I have been to the site and they look absolutely fantastic, but does the looks come with a price to match?!

cheers mate

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi there...no problems....mine was about £1300,but included an XCard,sound card for digital throughput only(avoiding Windows Kmixer)and a fairly large disk,which accounted for quite a section of the price.
    The price included all the required software,loaded and set up.
    If you didnt need the disk space and some of the xtras,the price comes down quite nicely.
    Best thing to do is to drop Phil an email and discuss the spec you want...you'll find him to be very helpful.

5. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for alexs2, that seems a very good price for something that powerful and useful. Time to go off and sell a major body part to be able to afford it! ;)

cheers mate

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    As you can see from what I've said,I'm very pleased with it,as is my colleague at work,who bought his independently,and is eqaully happy.
    Phil's a great guy,willing to spend a lot of time(and I do mean that)in sorting out exactly what you require,and tailoring the PC to that.
    I've certainly found that very rare these days,and a very welcome surprise.

7. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a number of people on the furums, not all colleagues however, who have purchased from UVEM and are very happy. Ive had mine three weeks now couldnt ask for a better product and support from Phil Hale.

Its worth noting that I am a complete Novice at HTPC, though a real Movie buff. After alot of testing/demo's I settled on a HTPC to act as my Video processor. However, when bought I wanted it to sit there *very quietly* and do what I bought it to do which is to provide the highest quality scaled digital video to panel via DVI and audio to amp.

Phil put together a list of components, actually tested variuos options (such as PSU's) for loudness, took on board my thoughts and specific needs and put together a fantastic peice of asthetically pleasing kit that sits in my AV rack. I do not have to mess with it in the slightest. Where there were teething problems (first weekend) they were quickly resolved.

I have actually added functionality to it in the last three weeks (Wireless/DVD Burner), which I guess is one of the beauties of a HTPC. For anyone interested the final specification of machine as its stands now is:-

Core PC
    Classic III case in silver
    Asus P4P800-VM Motherboard
    Intel P4 3GHz/512/800 CPU
    Zalman CNPS-7000Cu CPU Cooler
    2 x 512MB/DDR400 Ram
    Radeon 9600/128MB Graphics card
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1 Sound Card
    Zalman ZM300A-APF PSU
    Seagate 7200.7 ST3160023AS 160GB S-ATA HD
    Lite-on XJ-HD165H DVDRom (Region free)
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Writer (Region Free)
    D-Link DWL-G520 802.11g WiFi NIC
    Gyration Ultra Suite keyboard and mouse
    TheaterTek DVD player
    PowerDVD 5 DVD Player
    Windows XP Home

Other Items:
    D-Link DI-624 802.11g WiFi Router
    D-Link DWL-G650 802.11g WiFi PCMCIA NIC
    D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100Mbps NIC

Couldnt ask for more from the product or the company supporting it. Now eagerly awaiting some more HD content to play through it !!!