1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off the scene for awhile - can anyone help me out

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dUnKle, Aug 16, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,171
    Well back when they where first out I got myself I nice bargain PTA100E - then just under a year ago I treated myself to a plasma - had a move around and never put the PJ back up - yesterday it returned and as nice as a plasma is I realised for true HC you need a BIG screen

Anyway - Im not allowed a new Pj until this one dies a natural death (bloody house saving) so got to make the most of what I have - so the A100E is now connected to my HCPC and I have a big Dunelm blackout blind acting as my screen (its about 7ft wide)

Anyway - have few problems and questions and could just to with some help and memory jogging

(1) The PJ has had to be mounted much higher up the wall this time on a tilted shelf - unfortuantley its quite a severe tilt to allow for a comfortable viewing angle (too much like sitting at very front of cinema otherwise) This results though it a slanted picture which I have improved using the inbuilt keystone correction. However although the picture is straight at the edges it seems I still get the light making angles at sides of the picture - its hard to explain so will try with diagram

/ | | \

The | represent sides of the film whilst the slants represent what I see at sides of screen - is this correct

(2) My room is blacked out when watching the PJ - proper blackout curtains and a blind ensure no unwanted light gets in the room - should I though have some form of backlighting beind the screen ?

(3) Is there anything I can do that does not cost money (or if it does is only in very, very low double figures) that could be done to improve the screen ? Its just a pull down black out blind at end of day but the projected image is very good - the problem is though that part of the screen thats not showing image seems to put me off due to it being so light

anyway - thats it for now - I am sure I will have more questions but any help you can provide and any tips for things I may have missed will be great

Thanks in advance

Dunk

2. Ianf

Ianf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a PTAE 100 used with a home made blackout screen about 7 foot wide. I use black felt around the edges of the screen to improve the apparent contrast (it works but I don't why). The secret is get the edge of the felt level with the edge of the lit area of the screen. Most movies appear to have a 2:35 to 1 ratio and I have placed hooks on the frame screen to hold the felt in the correct position. For watching 4:3 material I simply unhook the felt.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,171
    Thanks for that - may give it try - any other suggestions or tips for me anyone ?

I guess the problem is that the screen needs to come down so far so the projected image can be watched in comfort - but leaves a good 4 to 5 foot above the image of unprojected and rather noticable white screen

4. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,171
    if anyone can suggest a few hints and tips - maybe things I have missed since not having a PJ then would be most grareful - at work now but have couple hours free this afternoon - would much liek to imrpove image as doubt I am going to be allowed new PJ for a year :(

5. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,171
    anyone ? please - got Sin City to watch later and want to make sure have it at its best

6. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    You could try holding a lump of cardboard with a hole in it the same size as the lens in front of the projector. If the extra light remains then it's internal to the projector and short of buying another one I don't see how you could fix that. If the extra light disappears then it's light spill coming from the projector's case in some way. You'd have to experiment with some masking to see if you could eliminate it completely, without blocking up any venting, which would be a bad idea.

Regards

Mark

7. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By 'light making angles' (/||\) I presume you mean the area that was filled with the image before you applied keystone correction? This is because the keystone correction is digital, it works by changing the shape of the video image (by crusing the top in and adding black edges), the actuall projected area doesn't change. However becase the panel can't display a true black the edges get a visable not quite black.

If this is all within the confines of your blackout blind then adding black felt will do a good job of reducing this effect aswell.

8. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,171
    cheers - only problem is how I get the felt etc to stay when it rolls up

9. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi there.

My first PJ was an AE100 that I bought through the forums - it's long gone now, but it came with a Hoya filter that improves contrast and cuts down slightly on vertical banding... IIRC!

I still have the filter, but I don't use it any more so if you'd like it just send me a PM with your name and address and I'll get it off to you. :)

10. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,171
    Thanks - dropped you a PM

One thing that has struck me is I can not alter the colour when reciving signal from my HCPC - will this effect my image