off the reel speaker cable?

buns

Ex Member
Reaction score
there are a pile of examples of cables off a reel which are ideal for interconnects, but i cant think of any with regards to speaker cable........ so does anyone know of any cable which makes a half decent speaker cable just straight off a reel i can buy?

thanks

ad

mains cable....... id always seen that one as a no no!

Im sure that studios and such dont pay fortunes on speaker cables....... doesnt anyone have any insight into what is used in that area?

thanks

ad

Well ... PA companies use mains cable.

Use 15a (1.5mm) as minimum with 2.5mm being better.

ok........ well 2 votes and im paying attention! I'll give it a shot and see what it sounds like!

Ad

i tend to use 2.5mm or bigger twin and earth for fixed wiring,and for flexible cable 1.5 or 2.5 mm mains flex,or van dam pro loudspeaker cable if i need a good flexible multi core

out of interest, what cores do you use?
brown +, blue -, green/yellow NC
brown +, blue and green/yellow both -
or something else?

if i can find it i use 1.5mm 2 core flex, brown/red + and blue / black for -,no green/yellow to worry about

Or according to tnt use a 4 core......

im just returning to cat 5 cables since only place i could get the mains cable i wanted was RS and they refused to sell me on the phone.

Ad

Buns,

I've used Maplins Hi Fi cable for all my set-up and the sound is great. Its more than thick enough.

Its costs £40 for 100 meters which puts it at 40p a metre.

Its perfect. I tried more expensive Hi Fi stuff and could
not hear any difference what so ever.

You do not really need to go for the Maplins Hi Fi stuff.
You could go for the Maplins heavy duty speaker wire. I think
that sells for £22 for 100 metres.

According to the figures that matter when considering speaker cable. i.e the diameter has to be big enough not to induce
losses in the length of the cable, causing distorion to the sound.
The Maplins heavy duty speaker cable is well up to the job.

But I went for the Maplins Hi Fi stuff cause it was thicker.
But realistically I probably wasted money on it.

Seriously I dont think you would hear any benifit from paying
pounds and pounds for brand name stuff.

Only problem is its white. But I painted it the same coulour as the wall and it blends in great.

Cheers

Chris T

Screwfix sell mains cable in single cores for conduit wiring.
4mm is £19 for 100m, 2.5mm is £9 and 1.5mm is £5.80. You'd need two reels to make a +/- pair, still very cheap.

Maplins do do some hefty cables! :D

I got a big reel of cat 5 stuff and am trying an a derivative of my previous attempt...... i'll let you know when im done...... if nothing else the stuff looks like a wonderful celtic design and is a thing of decorative proportions and not for hiding away!

Ad

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom