• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Off set Dishes..

tasxof

Established Member
Guys, ? what is the difference between an offset dish and a straight dish,thinking off buying this one,to actually pole mount to try and improve a dodgy signal.

Also ?Has anyone used one of these,?if so do they work.

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Most domestic dishes are offset, including Sky.
Most problems are about a clear line of sight.

logiciel

What is the problem with your current dish?
They normally either work or don't work, nothing in between.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
Also ?Has anyone used one of these,?if so do they work.

An amplifier won't compensate for a weak signal at the dish, it can't create a signal where there isn't one.

It can certainly make up for loss in a long cable run, in which case you need to put it at the dish end, or in the middle.

However, as has been pointed out, the first things to check are the alignment of the dish, cabling, connections and LNB. and for obstacles blocking the signal.

tasxof

Established Member
What is the problem with your current dish?
They normally either work or don't work, nothing in between.

I am plagued by a neighbors trees mate,allthough i just about manage a signal albeit round about 90 qual/60 strength,so i am trying to ascertain whether or not its worth dropping a 60 cm dish up on a pole on my to chimney to try and counteract the tree /line of site problem.

logiciel

Yes, I see the cause of the problem.
What effect does it have on reception?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Satellite dish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The type of dish won't make any difference if you have an obstructed line of site. A smaller dish with a clear view will work better than a larger one looking through or very close to trees.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
In line amplifiers are really only intended to compensate for long cable lengths (more than 80 metres of good quality satellite quality cable). The main problem is that not only do they amplify the signal they also amplify the noise so if you already have a low quality (high BER rate) signal then it is not going to improve matters. There is no substitute whatsoever for dish size/siting and in your situation the trees are likely to be giving you a very poor signal quality.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom