• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Off Round the World

TravellingLady

Standard Member
Hi Everyone

I have just retired and am treating myself to a "once in a lifetime" trip around the world taking over 3 months.
I hava a panasonic lumix to take stills, but am looking for a lightweight reasonable camcorder to use whilst away.
Research has shown that a Canon Legria FS 22 or a Panasonic HDC SD 20 might be reasonable choices. Has anyone any opinions on either. I'm not a novice, but am not too confident, but don't want to miss a wonderful experience.

chrishull3

Prominent Member
Hi Everyone

I have just retired and am treating myself to a "once in a lifetime" trip around the world taking over 3 months.
I hava a panasonic lumix to take stills, but am looking for a lightweight reasonable camcorder to use whilst away.
Research has shown that a Canon Legria FS 22 or a Panasonic HDC SD 20 might be reasonable choices. Has anyone any opinions on either. I'm not a novice, but am not too confident, but don't want to miss a wonderful experience.
Can i come with you the wifes getting a nag, but if i was you it may be best to go in jessops and have a little hands on advise no one here will advise the same cam and it depends what you want to spend and if you want sd or hd, for your trip i would go hd, i hope you have a gret time.:smashin:

ronaldkwok

Established Member
Like you said, this is a "once in a lifetime" trip, so you should capture your memories in HD rather than in SD as pointed out earlier by chrishull3 so a HD camcorder should be the first choice. Assuming you'll be taking plenty of videos, the issue may be how much storage space you will need for the trip. You may need a camcorder with plenty off HDD space or carry many, many SDHC cards or tug along a laptop (with sufficient HDD space) to store your footage or some combination of the three.
The Sanyo HD2000 or FH1 has a unique feature of downloading videos directly to an external HDD without the need of a PC but you'll need external power. An external 3.5 inch HDD can be a bit hefty as well but you may want to consider this option.
Anyway, all the best. :smashin:

A n d r e w

Prominent Member
you should capture your memories in HD [high definition] rather than in SD
Perhaps. To a certain extent the choice depends on how you intend to view the end product. If you're just going to plug the camcorder into your television set, then you'll be fine. But if you intend to do any editing or converting video on a computer, then high definition demands high specification. High def (especially the AVCHD variant) is not a pleasant experience on even slightly old computer hardware.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom