Question Off axis stereo imaging options?

BOUNCINGNRG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I' looking for some floorstanding speaker options.

I never sit central to my tv, 5 of us in our family and I'm always binned off to the sides, so I need a floorstanding speaker that does off axis well.

I've been searching for some used Kef Q500 as they do this well but don't come up for sale often - except for crazy ebay.

What other options out there are there?

I should also mention as it' a shared space (lounge/dining/1hr, 24ft long x 15ft wide) i can only have them at a max 12inches from the back wall. Screen is 10ft from seating area.

Thanks
Mark

Tannoy Precision series, perhaps? They're dual concentric, like the KEFs, and I rather like them :) Not cheap for the floorstanders, though.

Discontinued and getting harder to find. I have Tannoys in a 5channel system and like them. Mine are the revolution signature range which predates the precision.

There is the current revolution range, but I've only heard them in stereo. I know the centre is more compact and I like that my front speakers have matching drivers.

I think concentric speakers like the KEF won't be best option off axis. I wonder if any speaker with waveguides is not going to drop off quick off axis. Off hand being greater the 15-30def off axis the roll off above 10,000hz is going to very noticeable. For sure my focals are pretty good, but at greater than 30deg you can hear a notable drop-off

I looked at the KEF R100 and the Tannoy Precision 6.1 (which I still own) largely because the dual concentrics had a great reputation for off-axis response. I don't have all the links I used to research them, but soundandvision.com, for example, said here that "The R100 and R200c both measure fairly flat, and both have the consistent off-axis response expected of a concentric woofer/tweeter design. Out to ±30°, you barely see any difference in the frequency response compared with the on-axis measurement, and at ±45° and ±60°, the anomalies (dips at 4.5 and 6.5 kHz, respectively) are mild."
A quick search for the Q series showed these measurements, which look pretty decent to me
Quick KEF Q100 1m measurements. On/Off axis & comparisons • r/audiophile

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom