1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off angle viewing

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by smallangryboy, May 9, 2003.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thinking of eventually getting an LCD projector for movies. I've heard that some projectors can be used off angle, to one side of the viewing area (i.e. next to the sofa). Is this true ? If so which are they and how do they rate ?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Yes, some Sony models do this (side shot IIRC), and I think the HEC HT1000 can too.

Using that featre will compromise the image to some degree, so you'll have to see it before buying just in case it produces a poor image.

Gary.

3. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some have the capability of what is known as 'lens-shift' and can be done either vertically or horizontally. It basically moves the lens about the optical axis so that the picture uses another part of the lens and has the effect of shifting the image in the direction required without adverse effects like keystone.

However if the projector has internal digital correction then you could always fire the thing off-axis and use the internal adjustment, but you will be losing picture quality.

4. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic AE300 also does the "side shot" thing.

Though, like other posters have pointed out, keystone correction (both horizontal & vertical) should be avoided if possibe as it can be detrimental to PQ :(

5. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Does anyone know if there are places I can audition these projetors at home - without obligation ? Failing that anywhere in East or Central London they can be auditioned ?