1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ofcom allows reduction of bit rates on DAB

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by digitalradiotec, Oct 20, 2005.

1. digitalradiotec

digitalradiotec
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    See the first article on here:

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/

Basically, Ofcom will allow the bit rates of the stereo commercial radio stations on DAB to be reduced from 128kbps to 112kbps. It probably won't happen all at once, but I would expect that over the next year or two the vast majority of the stereo commercial radio stations will reduce their bit rates to 112kbps, and the audio quality will be diabolical. The audio quality already is dreadful, but it'll get worse.

2. droseman

droseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But then again, if you look at what people generally listen to commercial radio as an accompaniment to their lives, working, driving in the car etc, then audio quality is not important. AFAIK, the BBC are not going to do this, the last time I looked Radio 3 was broadcasting at 192kbps, and sounded very good.

IMO, its appropriate to how people use their radios.

Dave

3. digitalradiotec

digitalradiotec
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it was advertised as being low audio quality, then you'd have a point. The fact is that DAB is advertised as providing high audio quality, and people are unwittingly buying DAB with the expectation that that is what they're going to get.

Also, although high audio quality isn't important on small portable radios (because such devices mask the audio quality), audio quality is far more important on hi-fi systems, car stereos and personal radios.

At the end of the day, good audio quality is being denied everybody that would like it. That happens to be a large percentge of the adult population (63% of analogue listeners in a survey said that better audio quality was the main advantage that digital radio would offer).

So, sorry, but I entirely disagree.

4. Chanes

Chanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a shambles! I totally agree with you though, they are selling this as good quality audio (and to be fair it better than analogue) This seems to be a way of easing more onto the bandwidth at the cost of quality of sound. Pathetic of them, they should be increasing bandwidth and quality.

5. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    What annoys me is that DAB has now become a portable 'on the move' medium.

I haven't a problem with that so long as they advertise it that way and not the old 'superior to FM' cobblers.

But what about serious FM listeners? What are they going to end up with when FM is turned off?

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    FM won't get turned off!

7. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I thought I read somewhere that the government wanted the FM bands for another use in the not too distant future.

8. crater

crater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent in a question to ClassicFM about a week ago on this subject. I got a phone call this morning from them. Currently they broadcast at 160 Kb/s and have no intentions of reducing it, which I'm very relieved to hear. :smashin:

9. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That is disgusting news. The bit rates should be increased not decreased.

At the moment I have 2 DAB radios. One is a Panasonic RF-D1 which is next to my bed and the other is a Cambridge DAB300 which is hooked up to an amplifier.

The sound quality on the RF-D1 isn't that important because as a previous poster said the quality of the device affects this. However the DAB300 is as I bought it with serious radio listening in mind.

All channels should be at least 160kb in my opinion and I think if DAB did do that more people would migrate to DAB.

10. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    You are 100% correct in your statement, but how do we get the "powers that be" to sit up and take notice of this point of view and act on it?

Cheers,

Martin.