1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OFA Mosaic

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by DaveP, Sep 10, 2003.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if this will operate the Sky+ and the Panasonic HS2 without having to teach it all the codes?

Thanks

Dave

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    SKY+ support is as easy as holding the OFA to your PC speaker... thats all I did, and have full sky+ support...

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you explain in a little more detail please? Does the configuration software have to act like the modem updates you get from the OFA Helpdesk? Can't you download using the serial link?

Thanks

Dave

4. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Mosaic has a built in microphone which can be used to add new codes to the library of inbuilt codes. Codes are available online at the OFA website. You download the code as a sound file then hold the Mosaic up to the PC speaker and record et voila a new code. Hope this helps.

5. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    There is no serial link for this remote.

6. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OFA say that there was insufficient demand to implement the introduction of the computer link although it is inbuilt. I believe Rob at remotecentral.com is looking into this subject.

7. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The word that I'm hearing from certain sources is that the serial link just doesn't work, it's not just a case of low demand. So, I wouldn't hold out much hope that we will ever be able to use it, even with homemade software.

That being said, I'm going to drop a line to the JP1 hardware expert to see if he would like to borrow my Mosaic with a view to developing some sort of JP1 support (even if it means re-wiring the current connector)

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is really bad news for me, as I just bought one on the strength of being able to customise the touch screen to give meaningful labels!

I've tried no end of remotes. My main bugbear is that I need to remember that, when using a certain device, the button to use is not named as that function. My memory is shot so it's a nightmare!

Dave

9. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, even if we figure out how to upgrade the Mosaic, we will still be stuck with the current button names.

For your situation there are just two remotes that I would recommend. If you like touchscreens, go with the Pronto, if you like buttons, go with the MX500.

10. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's an update for you. I have decoded the format of the WAV files that you can download for the Mosaic, which means that we will eventually be able to offer some limited support for this remote in the JP1 world.

The next step is for me to reverse engineer the keymap layouts for each device mode. When this is done, I can ask the guys who maintain Keymap-Master and Remote-Master to include support for it.

It's unlikely that we'll come up with a hard-wired method of updating the remote, so you would have to convert your upgrades into WAV files and load them up via the modem. (We have a tool to convert upgrades to WAV files).

What you won't be able to do is program macros and key moves via JP1. To offer support for that we would need a way to read back the data from the Mosaic (to reverse engineer the format), which the modem doesn't give us.