1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OFA Kameleon: key press duration in macros

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by balders, Jan 16, 2004.

1. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Kameleon after reading all the good comments here, and have a question about the macro functionality.

I understand that the macros are limited to 15 steps, but does each step also record the duration for which the key is pressed? To put this into context, I'd want to create a macro which would switch the TV to the appropriate AV input for DVD, reduce the volume to 0, and switch my amp to DVD input. In order to reduce the volume, I hold the volume button down for a few seconds (reducing from approx level 20 to level 0).

Obiously, if the Kameleon does not store the durations, then reducing the volume won't be possible in a macro.

(Before anyone suggests it, I do have a mute button on the TV, but this unfortunately puts a 'SOUND MUTE' caption across the bottom of the screen)

Can any of you happy Kameleon owners help?

Balders.

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    To my knowledge, no universal remote will learn in the way you describe (how long you keep a button pressed).

Instead, you'd create the macro with vol- vol- vol- (however many times neccessary to reduce the volume to 0).

In practice, this might not work very well when coming to using the remote for day-to-day use. You'd have to wait some time after pressing the macro enabled button for the macro sequence to be completed before operating any other buttons. While the sequence is carried out, you would also have to continue pointing the remote in the direction of the equipment.

I think you need to consider other options.

3. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks Simon,

Have you got any suggestons for other options to consider.

Balders.