1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Of HD5's and cases - a review

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KiNeL, Sep 19, 2005.

1. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The fabric sleeve provided with the HD 5 is a pretty poor effort and not really much use in practice. I've now gone through several of the 3rd party cases available and thought I'd put some comments down to possibly help others in their choice.

First off when I bought my HD5 right next to them on the shelf were the Proporta flip cases so I bought one.

[​IMG]

I liked the concept but was disappointed with it because the player was such a tight fit it almost seemed as if it wasn't the right one on top of which it made the whole thing horribly thick and chunky, it went on ebay and I ordered the Proporta condom

[​IMG]

An bit of an ugly critter to be sure and a shame to hide the player from view but it does the job well enough although the screen is still totally exposed. I've left the original protective plastic cover on my HD5 so that afforded sufficient protection. I found no problem using the buttons through the material because it has raised areas over them, if anything it was easier than the buttons themselves when groping down on the passenger seat when driving for instance. I think you can get tranparent ones now, not opaque like this one which would have made it a bit more appealing to me.

Still not totally satisfied and in the search for the perfect case I next bought the Pdair

[​IMG]

which again dissapointed because the front is completely open and therefore offers virtually zero protection, more ebay fodder then.

Finally I got the Noreve case which despite looking very similar to the Pdair is a much better solution because it has a cover for the screen so only the buttons are exposed but as I've said, I've still got the original plastic on the player so that protects thems.

[​IMG]

So thats where I am now, not 100% happy but near enough. Mine's not Red BTW but this was the best piccie I could find in the moment.

I suspect the genuine SonyStyle case may be a contender but they are in such short supply that I haven't been able to lay hands on one yet.

I'm not really into the Aluminium style cases either, partly because I'm left handed and they're the wrong way round for me.

Hope this brief review may have helped someone.

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Just me, or are they all ugly? lol

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the silicon is the best of a bad bunch, then - with which I concur, owning a pink one as I do!

4. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shadowritten, have you got a silver hd5/h? any chance of a pic?

5. chassis

chassis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, in addition to that it does not offer much protection to the corners of the unit. I constantly have to remind myself (when putting the player in a pocket or rucksack pouch) not to put anything else in with it in the to protect the edges of the player from getting scratched.

I imagine with the silicone case i would not have this problem...

6. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've goten to the point where I'm not particularly bothered to treat my HD5 like a baby anymore. I still keep it in its sock but I've come to the realisation that its been made cheapily, its inevitable that its going to scratch, and the only way to completely protect it would be to wrap it up in tissues and place it in a draw for the rest of its life, and nothing is going to change that. (though the tissues might scratch the screen)
    Saying that I still dont put anything in the same pocket unless its my leather wallet and its in its sock.
    Today I had my new flip phone in my pocket and I walked into the corner of a table at school and cracked the front screen. Im pretty peed off as thats what happened to my old phone too, im still waiting for it to happen to my HD5, though it seems to destroy itself without me helping.
    I'd like to get one of those expensive leather ones that come in a million different colours and are expensive but then the case would be better quality than the unit, i cant have that.

7. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which sites would you recommend to buy the skin and the screen protector thingy from?

8. Mahonni

Mahonni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I have received the 1st one but it's not Proporta, it's PDair.

I'm happy with it, I think it fits ok in my HD5 and I don't really know what you mean by thick and chunky. However, as chassis said, it does not offer much protection to the corners of the unit.

9. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll post comments on the Vaja case when mine arrives. It seems to address all of the shortcomings noted for other cases above. And in m past experience with vaja, they make very nice-looking, high-quality cases.

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasn't sure what you wanted to see, so here's three quick shots for you ...

11. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reply! sorry lol, wanted to see your hd5 in its lil jacket. Pink is tempting! But I think its gonna be white for me! And which is the best site for the screen protector? overlayplus or proporta?

12. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to Proporta. The screen protector is the dog's dohdahs; and I think the pink jacket, should you decide to get one, is only available directly from them, though don't quote me on that.

13. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now is that good thing lol?

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er ... see what you mean! Seriously, it's very good - hides all the tiny scratches created by the crappy felt pouch that came with the player!

15. danr

danr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, ordered my HD5H a couple of days ago, looking forward to getting my hands on it. Fingers crossed the new Connect software will be compatible...

Anyways, I have ordered a proporta screen protector and was thinking about a case. Has anyone got any thoughts on the ones going on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-NW-HD5-S...813243187QQcategoryZ86534QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hopefully the link works.

Thanks, Dan

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These aren't the official silicon cases, Dan, as I'm sure you're aware. Dare say they'll do the job adequately, although from the picture, they look shockingly badly made!

17. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will people *ever* learn the diffference between 'silicon' and 'silicone'? I guess not. :rolleyes: Just be aware that the rubbery case is indeed made from silicone...

Just want to add here that the Vaja case is beautiful, and it has a built-in screen protector. It looks like part of the HD5 itself, and protects it wll. Plus, there is NO wisible stitching anywhere! Just a nice, firm, padded and rounded leather outgrowth of the HD5 shell. :smashin:

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silicon: A non-metallic chemical element, occurring in several forms and found always in combination and more abundant in nature than any other element except oxygen. Used in the manufacture of solar cells, transistors, silicones, semi-conductors, ceramics, etc.

Silicone: Inorganic polymers consisting of a silicon-oxygen backbone with side groups attached to the silicon atoms. Certain organic side groups can be used to link two or more of these backbones together. Can be synthesized into a wide variety of materials, and varies in consistency from liquid to gel to rubber.

Er ... happier now? ;)

19. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A dim light begins to glimmer over the vast intellectual darkness of the internet... Thanks for giving me a glimmer of hope! ;) ;)

You would think, with computer chips and breast implants everywhere, that people could tell the difference between the shiny hard stuff and the soft squishy stuff... :D

20. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  21. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  22. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Been in touch with importers and Black & Red expected it about 4 weeks.

Have asked to be put on the mailing list.

23. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
  24. junglebass

junglebass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i treated mine like a baby untill i dropped it and got two nice scratches in the corners, was soo sad in the beginning but now im over it....
    since then i dropped it 4 more times(i got to stop drinking soo much)
    now i dont see the point in getting a case, i didnt buy it look at it, i bought it to listen to music and as long as it does that perfectly im ok with having it little scrached up, i dont want to make it bulkier

25. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  26. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the official sony one and I think its scratching my damn screen. I have not dropped the player or exposed the screen to anything outside of the case but it definitely is getting scratched. I was miffed to start with but not too fussed now.

27. Buzku

Buzku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That pink/white looks cool. I use the basic protection supplied with the player. Someone said that it'll scratch the case but I haven't noticed any scratches in the player and I have used it for a month. The buttons haven't got any cracks, at least no yet.

E: Oops, I checked the screen and there are some thin scratches but they don't bother me as they don't affect the readability of screen.

28. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify my post, its not the pouch that comes with the player that I use, its the one that makes your player look like a wallet :D. The cracks will come, I was in the same boat as you until eventually the little buggers started appearing in the corners...unless you have the HD5H.

29. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these Silicone(?) cases for my NW-HD5H, and I must say it's really nice - much better than in that pic! It fits very snugly, doesn't add at all to the bulk of the player, and only cost £1.75 + p&p (still much cheaper than ther official sony case), so well worth it if you asked me.. Well, I'm not that keen on the 'silver' colour of the HD5H, and this covers that up really well - I've got the blue case and it now looks fabulous, better than an ipod I'd say... ;)

Anyway, maybe I'm easily pleased, but I love my 30 Gigger much more now. Definitely recommended.. :)

30. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the pink proporta silicone case last week which I have already given away as it is the most hideous looking thing I've ever seen!! My black HD5 just looked ridiculous in it. I do like the look of the pink and white leather case though.

By the way - what's wrong with being a girl or gay???