1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM Software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kelvin, Oct 13, 2004.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm in the process of putting together a new PC and intend to buy a copy of XP to go on it - looking around, it seems that some places offer the OEM version of the software (which as far as i've been told is the same as the non-OEM version?).

On the basis that it's significantly cheaper than it's retail counterpart - i'd like to get a copy, but I notice the disclaimer on most sites states that it must be purchased with a "non-peripheral hardware component" (taken from eBuyer).

Two questions:-

1. Is the OEM version the same as the retail version?

2. How strict are places like eBuyer on enforcing the clause, and what in their eyes constitutes "non-peripheral hardware"? RAM/Network card, or something more substantial like motherboard/processor?

K.

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    AFAIK:

1: The OEM version is exactly the same as the retail version, but the license may only be used on one machine that the "non-peripheral hardware" component is used in, and not transferred to a different machine at a later date.

2: An IDE cable is "non peripheral hardware" whenever i've bought OEM software. :)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    ....and, aside from any motives Micro$oft may have for maximising their profit, the theory is that first-line support for

a) an OEM version should be provided by the equipment (hardware) supplier. Micro$oft don't offer this "service".
    b) a retail version will be provided by Micro$oft.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Of course, 'first-line' support is a myth with M$ anyway, so you don't lose anything in reality. ;)

On a serious note, the only 'service' Joe Public gets from M$ is Windows Update and that, being 'second-line' support works fine with OEM 'versions'. AFAIK the only identifying feature is that sometimes the product-id in the 'My Computer' Properties can say OEM, but even that's not consistent IMX.

The whole area of OEM versions of Windows is just M$ marketing b*ll*cks, evidenced by SeaneyC's comment that a disk drive is considered non-peripheral. :rolleyes:

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for taking the time to reply guys...

My main concern was that I wasn't going to be eligible to purchase since I already have the majority of my hardware. Still, i'm sure I can find some space for a fan or two, maybe i'll even splash out and go for a spare of something since that seems like it will be enough ;)

Cheers,

K.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Eligibility to purchase is determined by the retailer. They have their own contract with Micro$oft or their middle-man, which will specify terms. How they then deal with it is entirely up to them. If they are willing to sell, then you can safely buy.

7. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've seen some places sell OEM software with a case screw :laugh:

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well I guess that does qualify as a non-peripheral device. :)

9. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a CPU and Mothermaord from KOMPLETT and forgot to order XP oem. I emailled them as as they had a record of me buying the items, they arrranged for the order of XP oem.

If you have bought a major component, then contact the company you bought it from and ask, they should have a record and allow you to buy the OEM software.

10. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for that - it's something I hadn't considered.

I've purchased Motherboard, Processor, Hard Drive, and RAM from eBuyer within the last month or so - if I have any problems i'll ask if they can reconsider in light of my order history :)

Regards,

Kelvin.

11. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Problem.

I think I need to work on my typing!!!