OEM products and XP Activation - eh?

D

Dr Nick Riviera

Hi all
Could anyone clarify for me the situation with regard to XP activation. I have read that XP records a "score" based on your hardware components at every boot and if you are building and upgrading components regularly and not enough of the original build components remain, the OS can fail to boot and you have to get a fresh activation code from Microsoft. Is this correct? Surely this would limit system builders' scope for future projects?

Also what is the situation with OEM hardware/software?

Apparently if I buy an OEM copy of XP with an item of hardware at the same time, Microsoft are OK with that, but if I don't buy it at the same time as some system component, there's a problem.

Am I correct in thinking that I can't (for example) build a machine now and install an OEM copy of XP on it, then completely upgrade all the main components (and sell them as bits on ebay for example) a year later and be unable to install the same XP? Is taking a Ghost image the only way to do this?

I understand that the idea of this is to stop me building a machine, flogging it, then building another with the same XP discs, but it seems (to an uninformed oik like me :D ) to be a serious stumbling block in building and upgrading.

Course I could always use Win2K Server (which I have genuine copy of and doesn't require activation AFAIK) to get my HyperThreading going, but I happen to like XP!

:confused: Confused - anyone clarify?

Nick

Re-activating is not a difficult process (had to do it when I upgraded my MB), just a quick phonecall to MS and they give you a new one, didn't even want to know why I needed it.

The process is meant to be quite resistant to change, certainly adding new drives, changing video card etc should be ok, only complete system rebuilds would need reactivation.

If you've got a genuine copy of XP then don't worry about it.

Owain

Alternatively, you can get this for around £199.

http://www.microsoft.com/southafrica/partner/actionpack/information.asp

It is called MS Action pack and comes with all sorts of MS Software apart from development tools.

If you want to use XP system when changing hardware without hassle, you can get XP Pro Corporate edition, and that never needs activations... Where to get that one ? Well.....

regards
Darko

Originally posted by Dr Nick Riviera
Apparently if I buy an OEM copy of XP with an item of hardware at the same time, Microsoft are OK with that, but if I don't buy it at the same time as some system component, there's a problem.
I have bought such a copy, the vendor was breaking their agreement with M$ since I was sold it without any hardware but the XP itself was fine, it installed and activated in the normal way as there's no tie-in with hardware .. note the hardware can be just a disk drive would you believe, it's a cynical marketing ploy by M$ nothing more.

Re-activating is usually automatic if you have an internet connection, I have done that twice without a problem .. OTOH one of my machines wouldn't auto-activate and a phone call was needed, like Owain I wasn't ask for any reason why I needed to re-activate.

Don't try the Corporate Edition idea BTW, it's completely illegal for Joe Public to use this variation .. which isn't my main concern as far as M$ are concerned since they are convicted law-breakers themselves ;) .. but you leave yourself open to lack of future support as M$ are trying various things to detect and block corp. ed. users from getting patches and updates via. Windows Update.

Originally posted by babaroga

It is called MS Action pack and comes with all sorts of MS Software apart from development tools.

If you want to use XP system when changing hardware without hassle, you can get XP Pro Corporate edition, and that never needs activations... Where to get that one ? Well.....

regards
Darko

The MS action pack does not contain the corporate edition.

It contains the MAP version which does require activation just like the retail and OEM versions (this applies to all the desktop software in the pack).

As far as where to get one, well assuming you meet the requirements on the website which is here (not sure why the previous link was for the MS South Africa site), then you pick up the phone to MS, pay your £199 plus VAT and they ship it to you within 10 days (you can also order online).

It is important to note however that MS do check if you qualify AFTER taking your money. In my case, I work for an MS partner so no problem but I have seem some people get caught out.

Originally posted by KraGorn
Don't try the Corporate Edition idea BTW, it's completely illegal for Joe Public to use this variation .. which isn't my main concern as far as M$ are concerned since they are convicted law-breakers themselves ;) .. but you leave yourself open to lack of future support as M$ are trying various things to detect and block corp. ed. users from getting patches and updates via. Windows Update.

Unless you have little utility that generate keys for it ;)
Probably available at you nearest Kazaa outlet ;)

Of course, I'm using my Action pack copies that has to be activated, but hey, £199 is a way cheaper for that software lot that a probably a single copy of winXP.

And of course the MS Action Pack is 199+VAT PER 12 MONTHS!!!!

Not knocking it as I have signed up myself (got 4 XP Pro machines)

Have heard MS occasionally offer a 20% discount after initial year

or just get a serial number generator

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom