'OEM' parts and 'Genuine Parts'

Steve.J.Davies

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What is the difference ? Especially as manufacturers source a lot of parts anyway...confused...

Original Equipment Manufacturer parts are normally identical to original parts but without the vehicle branded packaging..Thats the way it is with Volvo anyway

I thought OEM parts were cheaper non branded parts manufactured by someone else other than the OM.?

ie copies?

OEM seems to mean either "other" or "original" equipment manufacturer depending on who you ask - obviously the latter is just as good (eg. a Lucas headlight without a ford badge stuck to it) but the former just any old part that fits.

I think it boils down to knowing who the OM is - a lot of parts not produced by the car maker. Sean (the other one) had a great post about this but it is gone now sadly. I remember one part about Alternators for S class mercs. From mercedes £372.xx pence and the same part from Bosch (who are the OM in this case) was about fifty two quid. In this case the Bosch alternator would logically be genuine and OEM and original. So that nets out 320 squids for a mercedes cardboard box !!
I would guess this kind of thing the reason for 'lack of clarity' in the terminology and the industry - well as far as knowledge available to the general public goes anyway.

I've always taken OEM as Original Equipment Manufacturer. Genuine parts as Vehicle manufacturer supplied. Copies are normally referred to as patent parts.

OEM seems to mean either "other" or "original" equipment manufacturer depending on who you ask

Only if some of the people you're talking to don't have a clue what they are talking about ;-)

I've always taken OEM as Original Equipment Manufacturer. Genuine parts as Vehicle manufacturer supplied. Copies are normally referred to as patent parts.

That's the one in my understanding as well....It is of-course in the dubious interest of Patent parts manufacturers to be confusing...

A simple neumonic(or whatever it is) helps me to remember:

patent parts, patently partially fit :)

HTH

Dave

But then there is the even greater confusion...Some patent parts can be much better quality than OEM....Especially thinking about brake discs, pads, tyres, light bulbs, shocks, springs, and even bushes, steering racks etc....

Or silly things manufacturers do...Distribution leads for my 750, by BMW nearly £500 exVAT, get two leads for a 525i from BMW put them in a bag together yourself and you'll get change from £250....How does that work, V12 drivers don't have more money all that goes on fuel....

As per the OP...A lot of it is just to make money....

But then there is the even greater confusion...Some patent parts can be much better quality than OEM....Especially thinking about brake discs, pads, tyres, light bulbs, shocks, springs, and even bushes, steering racks etc....

Or silly things manufacturers do...Distribution leads for my 750, by BMW nearly £500 exVAT, get two leads for a 525i from BMW put them in a bag together yourself and you'll get change from £250....How does that work, V12 drivers don't have more money all that goes on fuel....

As per the OP...A lot of it is just to make money....
Same as my example about the alternator - its a fiddle

OEM seems to mean either "other" or "original" equipment manufacturer depending on who you ask - obviously the latter is just as good (eg. a Lucas headlight without a ford badge stuck to it) but the former just any old part that fits.

I work in the motor trade and I understand the above to be correct.

OEM stands for Original Manufacturer Equipment, and as Sean said, it's the original spec parts, from the original manufacturer, but without the car branding on it. His example of a Lucas headlight was spot on. Lots of Fords used Lucas made headlights and had the Ford logo stamped on them. You buy an OEM headlight, you are getting a Lucas headlight, without the ford logo. Buy it from Ford and it's the same thing, made by the same people but with the Ford logo stamped on.

Same goes for windscreens. At Autoglass, we only use OEM glass. That means we buy our glass from the same place that say, Mercedes buy theirs. It all comes from the same factory. Difference is, when we get ours, it has the logo of the actually glass producer on it (for example, Secuit or Armourplate) but when Merc get it, they have their logo put in place. There is no difference in the glass, but if you buy it from Merc it will cost you about 35% more :D

Example,

needed a new headlight for BMW

BMW Part £100 from BMW.

However, Bosch are the OEM headlight manufacturer for BMW.
Bosch part £50 from Eurocarparts.

Exactly 100% the same part, apart from one has a BMW part number on it, the other has Bosch part number.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom