1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM or Retail DVD Writer???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by adrian3221, Apr 7, 2005.

1. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I want to buy a DVD Re-Writer for my computer. I've noticed that you can buy two different versions of the same drive - OEM or Retail? From what I can gather the OEM version comes with no software, manuals, drivers etc and the retail version is fully boxed with everything but is more pricey. Have I got this right as I dont have much experience installing drives on my PC and would rather pay the extra and have the instructions to hand when it starts to go wrong!

Thanks in Advance.

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,218
    I reckon that is about right! For ease of use and to save possibly hours of grief, I'd go with the retail version. I bought a Philips DVDR1640P. I'd never even looked at a writer before and I was able to instal, set up and start burning (with the supplied Nero software) in under 30 mins! Fantastic bit of kit!

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I wouldn't disagree with shodan's advice, especially for someone new to this technology, all I'd add is that there are no device drivers necessary for DVD players or burners.

The PC's BIOS and Windows know all about them so all you need to do is install the device and connect the cables, on re-booting the BIOS will recognise it and Windows will install it.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you already have a DVD-ROM or even CD-ROM/RW drive and will replace it with the DVD rewriter then all you need to do is unplug the old drive and replace with the new useing the same cables. Other than making sure the jumper is set the same as the old drive that is all there is to it.
    But as has already been stated, if in doubt go for the retail version.

Mark.

5. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

Agree with Shodan - I have the above drive in my home PC and it works a treat. There is also a multi-region firmware available on the web which works fine.

6. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    OEM Drives do sometimes have software and manuals and cables, when I bought my CD ReWriter it came with everything, but when I bought my DVD Drive it just came with cables.