Odyssey+ vs. Reverb G2 - Can't decide

Hi!
I want to get into VR and pinned down these to headsets after doing hours and hours of research. The G2 is said to be very good in terms of resolution, whereas the O+ seems to have really nice colors due to the OLED lenses and is also more affordable as an "entry-level" headset.

Since I also really like "dark" games (skyrim, fallout, half-life etc.), the O+ seems to be very tempting.
Then again, I also want to try some VR-mods (GTAV etc.) which might be very demanding on the hardware and since I only run a RTX 2070, performance is also very important, or to be more precise, the best possible look with lowered settings, which I think the G2 is capable of due to the better physical resolution, which should give a clearer image even when downscaled...

I really can't make a final decision here and would really appreciate some input of people who had the chance to test out both, maybe even on a low-midrange rig so I can get an idea of what performance I can expect.

Thanks!

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
out of those 2 the reverb G2.
it has a half resolution mode which with your GPU some games will need where as others will be ok on full.
I have the G2 and I came from an OLED rift CV1. whilst it is true the blacks were a bit better on the rift it has some issues of its own such as muria. the blacks on the G2 are pretty good for an LCD.

don't discard the quest. 2 just because it is cheaper. that is worth a look too

visually it's not gonna match the G2 but it's still pretty good, it's way lighter on the hardware demands and on top of that has stand alone mode as well as wireless pcvr.

personally I would not buy a light house based headset now I feel that type of tracking is past.... but if money is no object they do offer the best tracking on the market.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did some research on the resolution-scaling and think that you're right about the G2 being the better choice, even more considering I will be able to enjoy it all the way once I upgrade my rig (waiting for the RTX 40).

The Quest 2 seems to be a very neat and often-sold headset, but with the rather small price difference to the G2, I think I'll go with the higher res. G2....

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I did some research on the resolution-scaling and think that you're right about the G2 being the better choice, even more considering I will be able to enjoy it all the way once I upgrade my rig (waiting for the RTX 40).

The Quest 2 seems to be a very neat and often-sold headset, but with the rather small price difference to the G2, I think I'll go with the higher res. G2....
that is absolutely fair enough. I have both the Q2 and The G2. The G2 undoubtedly has the better visuals and sound.

it all depends what your priorities are as each have their strengths.

if you get a G2 make sure it is the version 2 one (hopefully it's automatic now if you get new but do check)

it has improved tracking over the version 1 G2, the upgraded cable and an improved faceplate allowing you to make better use of the headsets field of view.

I have the version 1 and had to mod.the headset to get an improved FOV,.had to get HP to post me the improved cable..... but I can't get the improved tracking as that is a hardware issue with the headset.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom