1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odds and ends....

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Oct 1, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

1 - Why on earth did Fox want to charge £40 for the R2 edition of The Simpsons, and only half of that, for the R1 edition, which has more content on it?!

2 - Nice to know that R2 owners are still getting shat on, with Anchor Bay's commentary-less release of the 2xDVD edition of "Hallowe'en"!!! Another plus, for the R1 edition, and I didn't need to wait nearly 2 years to get it, either!

3 - The Godfather Boxed Set - why the US/UK price difference? In the US, it should retail around £65, but in the UK, it's about £10 to £15 less! Nice one! Shame about the problem with the box, though! (See my "The Godfather - A warning" post, and you'll see what I'm talking about!)

4 - What on earth happened to the picture quality to Universal's recent UK DVD release of "Xena: Warrior Princess - Season 1, Box 1". It could possibly be one of the worst picture transfers ever! A shame!

5 - The "Basic Instinct: Special Ice-Pack Edition" set from the USA - be warned, the ice-coloured packaging is rather stiff to open and close, and the DVD doesn't stay in place, resulting in a scuffed disc! And the ice-pick shaped pen, is useless! Also, the "TV/Cinema Comparison documentary" is interesting, but why only show the swearing being removed. What about the violence?" The documentary could've been so much better. Thank God, I didn't pay more than for a normal US R1 DVD release! Such a dissapointment! (Oh, thank goodness that UK TV censors don't stoop to the level of p*ss-poor censorship, that the US have had to endure, if that TV edit of Basic Instinct is anything to go by! Some of the worst censoring in history! It makes ITV look positively award-winning - I kid you not!!!)

Okay - rant over!

Pooch

2. Manhunter

Manhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No commentary for Halloween? I expected better from Anchor Bay now. But at least we get the TV version

Its a bitch about the Godfather DVD box set though.

3. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch - are you saying that the unrated version of Basic Instict (I think the one I have on order is the one you are talking about) a pile ?<br />Is it not worth having ? Is there any more in the R1 unrated than we saw at the cinema in the UK?<br />I read what you wrote 3 times, but its been a long day and I'm breaking the matchsticks that are holding my eyelids open...

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    The unrated US version is identical to the version released theatrically in Europe. It's the best quality version that's ever been available with a couple of good commentaries. As usual many of the extras are "watch once" things, but that's normal with any special edition.<br />I'm not disappointed with mine, but a normal amaray box would have been better, not that I've had a problem with a floating disc with mine and I haven't had any agggro opening it. The pen's definitely a daft idea though.<br />If you like the film then I'd keep the order in for it as it's not looked this good before but it doesn't exactly look like the latest blockbusters as regards picture quality.<br />As for TV censorship, I remember how I nearly cried the first time I saw Aliens on ITV. The dubbing actors didn't sound anything like the real actors from the film. Not good. At least it seems to have gone a bit less puritanical these days.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    The blue ice box and ice-pick pen have been consigned to my "box of stupid DVD collectable items". The booklet has been scanned and reprinted onto standard booklet-shaped paper, and the front and back pages onto a slip cover. The whole thing then installed into a lookalike Amaray case (5 for £1 from Poundland).

6. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the french version of BI, earlier this year.

170FF, not bad.

Don't need gimmicks like pens!

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Koosnaff,

You asked: "are you saying that the unrated version of Basic Instict (I think the one I have on order is the one you are talking about) a pile ?" Is it not worth having ? Is there any more in the R1 unrated than we saw at the cinema in the UK?

Actually, it is worth having, but the ice-pick-pen looks and feels cheap! Also, the "unrated" edition is no different to the version that everyone in the UK and Europe saw originally, both in the cinemas and on home video.

It's still worth getting, but purely for the DVD, and not for the special Ice-coloured box, and pen!

Hope that clears matters up.

Pooch