Oddball issue

Hedshaker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone might throw some light on a strange issue I've been having, that's been playing havoc with my head. About 4 weeks ago I bought a 55" smart TV from Tesco, which I was to use with a Fire-Cube. At first everything worked as it should. Then, about a week ago I switched onto the Fire-Cube only to be presented with the image below. I only had this issue with the Fire-cube. Everything else worked fine, the Tivo box, Blueray player, YouTube, Netflix, Arial, all worked fine, so I assumed the problem was with the Fire-cube.

Naturally I tried all the usual suspects: reboot the Fire-cube swapped HDMI ports and tried a different HDMI cable etc. None of which made any difference. So I ended up talking to Amazon helpline. The Amazon guy went through different attempts to discover the problem but nothing worked. Eventually they agreed to replace the Fire-cube box. But when the new Fire-cube box arrived it was exactly the same. So I then bought my old Panasonic TV in from the other room and wouldn't you know? It worked fine. The image and colours worked as they should.

This was all very rum. Why did this issue only occur with the Fire-cube? What's going on??
I took the new TV back to Tesco and got my money back, as I was, and still am, somewhat dumbfounded by it all.
But it would be good to work out what might have caused the problem. I've been wondering if I had inadvertently
put the Fire-cube in some odd ball 4K mode or something? I can't find anything but..... any ideas?

I
Buygood togobe nice to
II took the Toshiba 55" took the new TV bac back to Tesco back to Tesco and

1574642575119.jpeg

Attachments

• 1574642581463.jpeg
    1574642581463.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I sometimes end up with a similar looking picture with that pinky/purple washed out look. I've had it from both a Sky and Youview box's in the past. In the setting menu on my telly, under HDMI input, there's an option called Video. This is usually set to Auto and I generally have no problem but when I end up with this weird look, I need to manually choose a setting from the options. In the case of my TV they are just called Colour 1, 2, 3 and 4 but I can't remember what each one refers to, so I just try each of them and one of the four always fixes the issue. So my guess is your TV was incorrectly deciding what type of signal it's receiving.

Mmmm, maybe! See, the reason I've been wondering along the lines of a 4K mode issue is because, 4K can work on some sort of upgrading effect, which replaces one line of horizontal data with 4 lines...... of which I believe there is an element of guess work involved.

The reason I went for the 55" Toshiba is because it facilitates 4K, which I think will be the next thing in TV technology. My old Panasonic doesn't have 4K, + all the smart TV function are a lot more up-to-date. Don't get me wrong, the picture on the Panasonic is as sharp as a razor, just a tad dated. But I Would really like to be on point with what caused this problem.

Bit late now I know, but I stumbled upon this whilst searching other Fire TV Cube posts so thought it worth replying anyway. I saw the same type of picture issue when I first connected my Fire TV Cube to a new Philips 4K Dolby Vision TV. There was no such picture issue using the Cube on my old Panasonic HD Plasma TV.

To resolve it I went into
Fire TV Cube -> Settings -> Display and Sounds -> Display -> Colour Depth + Colour Format

And as per Timmy C's post, on my TV there are advanced settings per HDMI Input to switch the supported modes. On mine these are labelled "Standard" and "Optimal", where "Optimal" needs enabling on the TV in order to support some of the higher bit depths and timing modes.

The names of these settings and the variety of 4K HDR modes supported will depend upon the TV model, but in general, having the Cube and the TV set to auto detect 'should' work, and if it doesn't, then forcing both to the highest modes they have in common 'should' work, and if that still doesn't work then you can force both to the most basic 4K modes to get it working, and then work your way up until you find the 'best' match that doesn't break.

I think in my case the settings on the TV were fine to begin with, but were a bit messed up on the Cube where I had initially set it up with a non-4K TV and was trying to avoid a factory reset when connecting it to the new TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom