Odd Subtitle or CC question

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by gnomus, Jan 7, 2018.

1. gnomus

gnomus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have run into a very odd issue using Kodi and a .mkv of 'Aliens' (Theatrical Cut) that I ripped from my Alien Box Set. I was pretty certain that I had ripped only the Movie and the English audio. When I play the film through Kodi there are no subtitles as such, until I get to the scene at the end of Ripley's meeting with the executives. At this point, someone types 'Closed' into a computer screen, and, lo and behold, I get this (DOSSIER: CLOS in white at the bottom of the screen):

aliens_sc.jpg

Now, I have made sure that all subtitles are switched off in Kodi. Yet no matter what I do, this French subtitle come up. I repeat, there are no subtitles accompanying the dialogue. I ran the same file through my default PC media player - I do not get 'Dossier: Clos'. Likewise, it doesn't appear when I play the file through Plex.

At the same time that I ripped the Theatrical Cut, I also ripped the Special Edition. This does not come up on the Special Edition in Kodi. (I much prefer the Theatrical Cut, however!!!!)

Computers make little or no sense.

2. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Run the movie through mkv toolnix

This will show you the video audio, & sub tracks (if there are subs)

if there are no sub tracks showing, it means the sub is hard coded, so no way to remove.

you can only try to rip the movie again

if it does show subs, then untick & create the movie again

3. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Forced Subtitles will sometimes override the default settings, so you get subtitles for foreign parts i.e. English Forced Subs but not regular English Subs.