1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd reds and other probs on my JVC

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Paul_J_Smith, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Paul_J_Smith

Paul_J_Smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a JVC 32" widescreen TV and the picture is generally okay apart from three things:

1. Small red objects (e.g. snooker balls at a distance) seem to have black horisontal lines through them.

2. When looking at Sky via composite or Terrestrial white text seems to have a black shadow behind them which makes them look odd. This is particularly noticable on the BBC weather broadcasts.

3. On panning blue sky or green/yellow fields I can really notice bright area's on the tube. They seem to be patches of brighter areas and cover a fair amount of the screen. This makes these panning style of shots look very dirty.

I do have the contrast set fairly high (75%) - the brightness is about 45-50% but I need this to get a picture that is bright enough to see properly as the JVC is a little "dull", especially in the daytime.

If I get the engineers at JL in to look at it then is there any way they can reduce the bright patches by adjusting the yokes/guns/magnets etc or is it just a "poor" tube that I have to live with (or get replaced). It's not unbearable to watch but if they could imporve it slightly I would be happier. The TV is about 9 months old (got it from JL so 5 yr warranty) which goes to show that it's not that bad but it just p*sses me off sometimes

Any takers?

Cheers,

Paul

2. Paul_J_Smith

Paul_J_Smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps. The bright areas are on both the composite and RGB when using sky (and on all other sources - i.e. they are not a problem with the source - definately the tube). Obviously the contrast setting on the JVC does not work with the RGB so to get a watchable picture (i.e. not too dark) I set the contrast on the Sky box to high (I only use RGB with Sky).

Cheers, P

3. Paul_J_Smith

Paul_J_Smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Does nobody have any thoughts on this? I would really appreciate some help.

Thx

4. lucerne20

lucerne20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new JVC does exactly the same but with the added additional of case rattle, I'm waiting on John Lewis bringing me a replacement but I am not very hopeful after reading several posts in the forum. This is my 7th widescreen tv, all had different faults, from turning off to blue lines down the picture etc. I am going to try S-video for feeding the DVD and video but this is a work around more than a fix!

5. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which model(s) are you talking about?

TIA.