1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Radeon 9600 problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gary Lightfoot, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    Hi guys,

Just got all the bits to make a HTPC for a friend, but it will freeze up when playing DVD or Hi Def avi stuff.

I swapped the Radeon 9600 with a 7000VE from my old server PC, and now it plays everything fine for hours without freezing. I then tried another 9600 from my own HTPC and the freezing has returned - seems like the PCChips 848ALU mobo doesn't like the higher Radeon cards.

Unless this is a driver problem or something I've not considered, I'm going to return the mobo and get a different one. So this is where you guys come in...

1. Is there something I've missed in order to get the card to work with the board (loaded board drivers from CD and catalyst 4.8 from the net, set fast write on, and 8x agp speed). Or if we need a new mobo:

2. What 400fsb Athlon mobo do you recommend? We're using a 3200+ 400fsb Athlon CPU, so we need a board for it to fit on.

That's it really. A baord with optical out may be handy btw..

Gary.

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Gary, the motherboard that i use with my 9600 is this one here , i have had no problems with it as yet (touch wood) and it also has optical out. It is more expensive than the pc chips board though.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    Hi stephan,

Nice of you to reply so quickly!

That board looks looks like a good choice, plus we know it works OK with the 9600. :)

One question - it looks like it has an on-board fan for something - is it noisy at all?

Have you tried playing any Hi Def stuff on it yet? Just wondering how it performs etc. And what's the optical like? Works OK does it?

Cheers

Gary.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I ahve had almost eaxactly the same problem with a Saphirre 9600 on my Asus P4P800 mb, in fact with 2 of them.

Every now and again when using Dscaler (ie 100% load) the whole machine will freeze, I swapped ram, psu and then tried a 9500 from my desktop machine and it was fine, backed the 9600 to ebuyer who refunded it because they were out of stock, bought another from somewhere else and while not quite as frequent, it still happens, so I'm sure its a 9600 issue, its done it with whatever drivers I have used as well.

At least its not just me :rolleyes:

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    That's interesting - I was going to send the 9600 back for another, but after trying out the 7000, figured it was a board issue. Maybe it is in some way (need more power than the lesser models and the board's voltage drops or something), but hard to tell. The other 9600 I have works perfectly in my Asus MATX board though.

My next step out of curiosity was to put the 9600 into my desktop machine and see if that did the same thing. That's using a 7500 at the moment.

If Inzamans Abit board works with no issues though, I'll order that up and RMA the PCChips board. Shame really, as the same board has worked flawlessly in my desktop machine.

Cheers.

Gary.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I found I could instantly recreate the freeze by putting dscaler into a window as opposed to full screen and then using the mouse to grab the window and shake it, it would freeze every time. Haven't tried the 9600 in my desktop though but/though it does have the same mobo/processor/ram.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    If I try the swap, I'll let you know what happens.. :)

Gary

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Gary,

I do not notice the noise of the fan, infact when i play a movie from the hard drive the pc is very silent. I am using a very quiet antec case though so i dont know by how much this is affecting it, i cannot imagine that it is a great deal.

I havent tried any hidef material yet so cannot comment.

The optical out is fine, i have done a side to side with my pio 757 optical and didnt notice any difference.

I have been using the board and Radeon 9600 for about two weeks now playing from both dvd drive and hd and no problems as yet (fingures crossed).

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll be ordering one this w/e. :)

Gary.