1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd question...re sound cards

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by scouse, Aug 2, 2004.

1. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This setup question involves a soundcard connection to a 2 channel amp and a subwoofer for 2.1 duties. :confused:

With the m-audio revo 7.1 for example, you have a sub out/centre channel output which you would connect to the low-level input of the subwoofer for the LFE parts of a DVD...(i think!!) :D

Then connect the front L + R output on the sound card to a 2 channel amp for stereo duties and then amp--->Subwoofer---->speakers using high-level in/outs to integrate the sub into music sources.

My question regarding this is if you are playing a dvd would the LFE parts of come through as if you had a 5.1 system connected even though it is 2.1?

Also would the low level sub out connection effect stereo sources being played correctly e.g. mp3 etc?

sorry for long post :blush:

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The lfe would come out of the sub while watching appropriate audio. However, you would really not get the true .1 lfe benefit using only two speakers as you can really only listen in stereo, so you would not get the correct surround sound encoding. If you try to watch a film outputting a 5.1 signal with only a 2.1 setup you would be missing a huge chunk of the audio from the centre channel, and of course the surrounds.

3. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i thought it may be too good to be true, from my point of view anyway :D

thanks for your help fella

scouse