Odd one: remote volume dial - can it be done?

MultiRoom

No doubt some will find this a slightly odd enquiry, but it really appeals to me and would love to get it done.

Currently I have quite a minimal setup in my listening room, with 2 in wall speakers, and the AVR and amp down in the garage, with all the cables brought up the side of the property and dropped down into the wall cavities from the attic.

I can control the volume of my Marantz NR1607 either via my iPhone app or via the IR remote supplied with the receiver.

Often, on a night listening to music I've thought it would be really cool to be able to twist a dial on the wall to increase (or decrease) the volume of the AVR. Something as similar to the volume dial on AVRs, with the same sort of resistance and infinite spin.

Could it be achieved, and if not with my current AVR with a different model?

A link to how my system looks just so it can be visualized: Please post photos of your oled in your home set up

WilberOne

Standard Member
Yes, I've done this. I've done it with a nodeMCU (esp8266 wifi micrcontroller), a rotary encoder and a bit of arduino code.
I have a Denon AVR, but I believe the commands are the same. You just publish a POST command along the lines of http://<AVR IP Address>:8080/goform/formiPhoneAppDirect.xml?MSG;
where MSG is MVDOWN for vol down, MVUP for up and you can also use MUON and MUOFF for mute on/off if your rotary encode has a push function.
(you can try this by just putting it in a web browser on the local network.)

Last edited:

MultiRoom

Yes, I've done this. I've done it with a nodeMCU (esp8266 wifi micrcontroller), a rotary encoder and a bit of arduino code.
I have a Denon AVR, but I believe the commands are the same. You just publish a POST command along the lines of http://<AVR IP Address>:8080/goform/formiPhoneAppDirect.xml?MSG;
where MSG is MVDOWN for vol down, MVUP for up and you can also use MUON and MUOFF for mute on/off if your rotary encode has a push function.
Great! I’ll have a look into all of this. Can’t believe someone else has implemented the same thing. The world we live in…….

MultiRoom

Hi, I did try this in a web browser after editing your URL with the IP address of my AVR, unfortunately none of the commands worked.

Is there a resource somewhere where you managed to pick up these strings?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom