1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd one - Advice on PC speakers for home AV?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by handles9, Nov 30, 2004.

1. handles9

handles9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, please don't jump on me for this, I know this is a bizarre request, and I hope it's in the right forum.

My stepdad is looking for a set of auxillary speakers to replace the ones built into his newish 32 inch TV - he's moaning about the quality of the sound. I suspect (as he's getting a bit deaf) that he's cranking it louder and louder and it's beginning to distort. He doesn't want to spend much money, and he 'doesn't want any of that complicated 5 speaker stuff', and doesn't have an amplifier handy. I suddenly wondered if he could use an inexpensive (up to £100) 2.1 PC speaker system that would be better than his built in speakers. I'm a bit worried about the quality of the mid range and dialogue, so anyone got any advice? I don't think I can get him to spend around £80 for an amp and £60 for speakers, let alone stands....

I'd be grateful if anyone has tried this, and specific speaker recommendations would be fab....
    Thanks,

Stu

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stu that isn't such a bad idea aslong as you get good quality PC speakers then the sound should be better and make sure you're dads TV has L/R pre outs.. :)

John

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I use PC speakers as my rears and I know a few people who use them all the way around their system. It's just a matter of getting reasonable ones, if he only wants stereo then there should be plenty of choice. Bear in mind that it may cause problems using the remote to change the volume. I also temporarily used them just connected to my TV and they were excellent (Logitech Z640's which PC World practically gave away for £60 earlier this year).

4. handles9

handles9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic, cheers guys...