Odd Noisy CPU Fan

mudddy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently built a new system around a month ago. The motherboard was a bit basic and I decided to upgrade it. Unfortunately I had some issues and decided to reinstall my previous one month old motherboard. However since reinstalling it the CPU fan has now become really noisy as if its spinning at a much faster speed.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Various things could cause this
I would remove the existing thermal paste and replace with fresh and make sure the heatsink is fitted correctly.
The fan bearing could be failing causing a noise.
Make sure the cooler is connected to the correct (CPU) header on the motherboard, any other headers may cause the fan to run at full speed.
Make sure the BIOS settings aren't causing the fan to run at full speed.
HTH

Various things could cause this
I would remove the existing thermal paste and replace with fresh and make sure the heatsink is fitted correctly.
The fan bearing could be failing causing a noise.
Make sure the cooler is connected to the correct (CPU) header on the motherboard, any other headers may cause the fan to run at full speed.
Make sure the BIOS settings aren't causing the fan to run at full speed.
HTH

Should have mentioned its a new fan just a month old.

"Make sure the cooler is connected to the correct (CPU) header"

I'm sure it is will check

There may be several other headers on the motherboard, chassis fans, AIO cooler headers etc. Some may cause the fan to run at full speed

Could CPU temp show if its running too hot etc?

It could be running at a higher speed. If you've been troubleshooting you could have easily reset the fan profile. Check what it's set to in the BIOS.

Could CPU temp show if its running too hot etc?

That's a tricky one if it's noisy because it's running fast - more airflow will cool it down. Obviously if it's both fast and hot then there's an issue. But fast and cool doesn't mean there isn't.

Removing the paste and and reapplying again seems to have fixed it. So far its running a lot quieter again. Thanks for all the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom