Odd letter received from Prudential - any ideas?

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive googled it and found an old thread on MSE but it didn't have any answers, I've pasted in the post I found rather than retype as its all the same, bar the husband lol

"My husband received a letter from Scottish Amicable/Prudential it says they are writing about a policy that was claimed sometime ago, it says the policy number ends in 47, they also said over the years they have lost contact with the owner of the policy and they are trying to get back in touch with them in order to send some important information about the policy we think you might own the policy.
They have asked him to fill a confirmation of details form in, especially the section that requests details of any addresses you may have lived at in the past they also want to know his insurance number."

Basically its requesting information and says it cant give any further details until the confirm we are who they are looking for (both my wife and I received the letter) Im happy enough to contact them directly to confirm its legit, but just wondered if anyone had any idea what its about?

I vaguely recall we did have an endowment with them on our first home, and that we were contacted and told it was mis-sold, so received about 3 grand which I believe was more than we had ever even paid into it. I think we then went on a different mortgage type. Its all so long ago I struggle to recall, but I'm fairly certain they contacted us about the compensation rather than us pursuing it as seems to be quite common these days.

Could it be related to that? It sets a deadline of 2 weeks to respond.

Any info or educated guesses appreciated

Thanks

It's entirely reasonable that they have just lost contact with the owner of the policy. Over the years we have moved house 4 times and I had neglected to notify a pension provider for a pension that I'd started 20 years ago but hadn't paid into for about 6 or 7 of those years.

As they can't discuss with you the details because of data protection, they will need you to confirm who you are so that they can match it up with their records.

I doubt it's dodgy or a scam but a quick call to them (google the number) should confirm it for you.

Ive googled it and found an old thread on MSE but it didn't have any answers, I've pasted in the post I found rather than retype as its all the same, bar the husband lol

"My husband received a letter from Scottish Amicable/Prudential it says they are writing about a policy that was claimed sometime ago, it says the policy number ends in 47, they also said over the years they have lost contact with the owner of the policy and they are trying to get back in touch with them in order to send some important information about the policy we think you might own the policy.
They have asked him to fill a confirmation of details form in, especially the section that requests details of any addresses you may have lived at in the past they also want to know his insurance number."

Basically its requesting information and says it cant give any further details until the confirm we are who they are looking for (both my wife and I received the letter) Im happy enough to contact them directly to confirm its legit, but just wondered if anyone had any idea what its about?

I vaguely recall we did have an endowment with them on our first home, and that we were contacted and told it was mis-sold, so received about 3 grand which I believe was more than we had ever even paid into it. I think we then went on a different mortgage type. Its all so long ago I struggle to recall, but I'm fairly certain they contacted us about the compensation rather than us pursuing it as seems to be quite common these days.

Could it be related to that? It sets a deadline of 2 weeks to respond.

Any info or educated guesses appreciated

Thanks
Happend with a guy I work with, his ex wife contacted him (He says she could always smell money lol) and he got a few thousand.

The likelihood is that it is genuine and a call to their help centre on a number found other than on the letter (to be safe) would easily confirm. I visited an old house the other day that i use to live in and by chance, a letter had arrived address to me about a mortgage endowment policy i had taken out in 1997. Been paying in for 20 years and had totally forgotten about it!

Im not too concerned about legitimacy as thats easily enough verified,

I think any accounts or arrangements we had with them ceased nearly 20 years ago. Ill contact them on Monday to confirm its ok then send off the info.

Would be lovely if its a nice windfall but I cant really see it. Could well just be they are legally obliged to have the correct info on file or something boring like that.

Ive spoken to them on the phone today, ringing a different number to the one on the paperwork and it all seems to be legit. They wont tell me what its about but the forms are now returned so ill wait to hear.

Im hoping whatever it is, has got 15 years of interest piled up on top of it lol

Unless I owe them anything obviously...

It's like a whodunit ... eagerly awaiting the next episode!

Still no idea what it could be? Any other potentially mis-sold products/policies, not necessarily originally by them, but an organisation they've since acquired? (e.g. Scottish Amicable, M&G)

I don't think so. Natwest sent us a few hundred quid each last year in relation to some financial shenanigans they were up to in the past.

I did read that sometimes when they get big fines it's easier to compensate every customer rather than spend time on each and every case.

I've been lucky over the years with this sort of thing, I'd be amazed if it's another payout. The paperwork has been sent so I'll update as and when anything happens.

They've sent out more letters requiring proof of my wifes name change as we were not married when we had any dealings with them.

Its been sent back today so hopefully we will know what it's all about soon.

My husband had the same letter back at the beginning of July but it's now been 7 weeks since sending back the previous addressses and we still haven't heard anything. No idea what it's about as they won't disclose anything on the phone but he think it might go back to any old Scottish Amicable endowment policy he took out over 22 years ago!!

Probably sounds about right, we've returned everything asked for and heard nothing for weeks.

Happy to wait it out, starting to think it could come to something now.

We're hopeful too! No idea why now though after all tnis time. The policy was cashed in yeats ago. Would be nice to have a little windfall before Christmas. Very hard to find any info on the web either. I would've tbought these letters would be more common

Hi
I received the same letter around mid July and still not heard back and I've tried to call them but they won't speak to me due to data protection issues....
Anyone heard anything back yet?
I think mine relates to an endowment I had for about 4 or 5 years then stopped paying into 18 years ago..
Would like to think there is a windfall awaiting me too

Oh and my policy was definitely Scottish Amicable but I've long since thrown the document's away

Hi, yes we're in the same boat. Did you have to return a form with all your previous addresses too?

Ive just spoken to them, trying to get some more info but they are very tight lipped.

He indicated we should have a response within 10 weeks of initially returning our letter. I said its a bit much that they set 2 week deadline when requiring info from me, but don't work to any deadline themselves and I think he might have plucked the 10 weeks figure out of thin air.

The best I got was that they are reviewing a huge amount of policies. Im probably setting myself up for disappointment but I'm guessing if they are reviewing "huge amounts" going back 15+ years then there could be something interesting happening.

You have to love bank's timescales! I made a complaint and got a response that they'd respond to my complaint within 5 days... which they did.

The response was that they want to look into the complaint and would get back to me within 10 weeks!

I did sarcastically comment that maybe I should move my finances to Prudential if they are that quick and efficient, the fella didn't seem to follow lol

You have to love bank's timescales! I made a complaint and got a response that they'd respond to my complaint within 5 days... which they did.

The response was that they want to look into the complaint and would get back to me within 10 weeks!

It’s a standardised approach to complaint handling overseen by the Financial Obudsman Service. Although not perfect, it’s a darn sight better than some of the processes the utility companies follow (although to be fair there have been some improvements)

how to complain

Well we're now into week 9.......! Anybody else had anything through yet? We were told the prefix letters in front of the reference code meant there was an anomaly or miscalculation on the policy by customer services but that's it!

Any news guys? Found a recent thread on another site though where prudential sent out a letter to a previous Scot Am policy holder just a few days ago saying we need to give you some more money..........it was the grand total of ÂŁ44! So for all of us on here hoping for a nice little windfall, we will probably be sadly disappointed

We've not heard anything in ages, Im not really expecting anything exciting. It just seems one of those situations that potentially could be.

Im the sort of person who gets excited when I find a tenner in a coat I've not worn in ages, so anything would be a bonus. It must come to a conclusion soon either way I would have thought.

May give them another ring tomorrow. I think 11 weeks is taking it a bit far now!

Well it looks like this will all be coming to an end soon. Phoned again this morning and the guy was shocked that it's now over 12 weeks since the information was passed to the right department. He said this was outside of the FCA guidelines and he would email them directly and that the very latest we should get a response by would be the 24th. We will see

Its all very strange,

Ive heard nothing either - I've been meaning to chase them up but been so busy. I might try sending an email quoting various timescale requirements etc and see if that prompts them to do anything.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom