Odd Layout Help...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by xhellionx, Jul 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. xhellionx

xhellionx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm at the point where I want to upgrade my home theater. I currently have a 52" TV with an outdated (10 year old) inexpensive Sony soundbar system. I'm looking at spending $1000-$1500+ on a receiver and speakers. My wife and I spend a lot of time at home watching movies, etc. so I wanted to invest in a little better setup to enjoy the experience more. I am not an audiophile so I am not necessarily looking for an insane setup...in fact, I am not even asking for help here on the component piece, I will figure that out on my own.

My issue is the room layout. It's not ideal to say the least. I made a crude paint drawing of the basic layout. we can't really move things around too much because the couch is SO large, there really isn't anywhere else to put it based on the room. Also, the DirecTV connection is where the TV currently is on the drawing so can't really move the TV setup either. My question is, would it be possible to get a decent surround sound system working on this layout? If so, where would the speaker placement be? Would I opt for 7.1 or 5.1? Or based on the layout, would I just be better off with another soundbar?

I know I am basically asking for "free" advice here, so I completely understand if no one replies or is willing to help. I just thought I would try given the amount I have learned on this site over the years from great people.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    Could you replace the couch with something smaller?
    Looking at your room and layout you are not going to get a good surround sound effect across all seating locations on the couch. You maybe able to get something working for the bottom right seat that is sticking out towards the kitchen area. you will only really be able to get 5.1 and I would forget about 7.1 given the layout constraints. However, you may be able to get Atmos in one for or other which may get you a better overall sound.
    The surround speakers are going to be the hard ones to place and although you may be able to get a reasonable performance from the one seat location it will most likely mean a significant compromise (and maybe even a drop in overall effect) for the other seats. Given that you may be better looking at a 2.1 system especially since the front soundstage seems very narrow anyway which kind of reduces the need or benefit of a centre speaker. Hence I would be tempted to go for a stereo amp, pair of good quality front speakers (standmount or floorstander) and a decent sub to underpin it and give some impact to the sound. The benefit of this option is that your budget will stretch further to fewer but better quality components and hence a better overall sound quality. Hence you enjoyment of movies and your overall experience will be better than a surround sound system that is poorly positioned and made up of cheaper components.

3. xhellionx

xhellionx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate the advice and input! I definitely considered a smaller couch but ultimately we have a lot of people over (big family) so we need the sitting room. I just have to compromise and sacrifice the ultimate surround experience for now. I will look into the steeeo options. Thanks!