Question Odd intermittent internet browsing issue

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by noel-pilot, Apr 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,
    Hoping someone can shed some thoughts on my challenge with Sky Q based broadband.

Signal great.
    Approx once or twice per day i'll be browsing, typically on my iphone and the page will just stop loading or the app stops working.

Happens on multiple iphones and ipads.

Turning off wifi and back on resolves it.

It's almost as if the device has stopped being able to communicate outside of the local network despite having full wifi signal and other devices on the network continuing to work fine.

Its infuriating and I spend a ton of time on 4G to avoid the issue.

Sky have changed the router and checked everything and have no ideas what to do.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Noel

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    Is SkyQ dual band Wi-Fi..?

If so, is the issue applicable to one waveband or the other? If it is (say only affected 2.4GHz connected devices,) that could explain why some devices are affected and some not.

3. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes it is however previously just had single band configured and had the issue,
    Then configured to dual with different network names for each and have replicated issue on both bands.

4. groen

groen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you have any wired devices that can rule out whether the issue is the WiFi or the actual internet stops working? The fact that you can still communicate with other devices on the WiFi and have strong signal indicate to me that it is not a WiFi issue but the WAN issue.

If you have a wired device that you can leave connected and then when the issue occurs go and test the wired device to see if internet is working OK.

If it is the internet then it sounds like its an issue with the line sync.

5. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for replying.
    The internet definitely still works as other wireless and wired devices continue to work fine whilst one device has the issue.

We have it in multiple devices not always at the same time.

Always iPhones or iPads but then that’s pretty much all we use.

Pretty sure it’s not WiFi but some kind of routing type issue but struggling to figure out what!

6. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    Strange sounding problem you have - I wish I could offer more help, but the symptoms look really weird.

The "routing" (in the "proper" IP sense) in a SOHO router is usually about as simple as it gets - there's only two routes - "inbound" traffic gets sent out the "internal" interface (ie your Wi-Fi/LAN ports) and "outbound" stuff gets sent up to the ISP. Anything it doesn't know what to do with gets sent through the "default route" which is almost inevitably also up to your ISP.

Some routers will let you inspect their routing table - if your router does so, you could post it up (it shouldn't have anything security sensitive in it.) I wouldn't hold out much hope though.

If you have a (wired) Windows/Mac to hand, you could try running a "continuous ping" against a few of your apple devices and see whether they continue to reply when they are in "failed" state. That might give you some information about whether it's a Wi-Fi (or possibly IP addressing) issue or not.

To run such a test, find out the IP address of a few of your troublesome devices (your routers DHCP lease talbe is probably the easiest place to look) then (on Windows) open up a CMD window and "ping -t IP_Address" of the target and lave it to run. Then when the iSomethings fall off, go see if the ping is still replying or not. You can open multiple CMD windows to test against several devices concurrently if you like (my "record" is something like 30 on one job! :D )

On a enterprise grade install, I have seen Apple devices stop answering ping when they "go to sleep" for a bit to save their batteries (which may also depend on whether your router can avail such) when you're not using them. So don't panic too much if such a ping test stops answering for a period then wakes up again, then goes to sleep again, etc. What we're more interested in is whether ping is answering when they are "broken."

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  7. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Mick appreciate the advice. I'll try the ping test and check to see what's happening when I next see it.