Odd HDMI issue with JVC DLA-X7 projector

RikC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my JVC DLA-X7 for about 2 years now. It was given to me as a reburbished replacement to a faulty DLA-HD750 under warranty. Alas it is now out of warranty itself.

This is my current setup:

JVC DLA-X7 projector
Marantz SR7007 AV receiver
Marantz blu-ray player
Apple TV
Samsung Freesat+

Here's the problem that developed a couple of days ago:

We were watching Freesat+ on the projector. Suddenly we lost the picture but sound still coming through. Here's my fault finding:

1. Turned the receiver off/on, freesat+ off/on, tried changing inputs on the amp. No success.
2. Checked that the projector was still able to project an image. Pressed the 'menu' button and yep the projector menu appeared so I went over to the Information tab. It showed the resolution to be '0x480' and vertical/horizontal refresh were both 0.
3. I put the cable in HDMI 1 input on the projector (bizarrely this input has NEVER worked) but no change. It, as ever, the projector didn't even detect an input.
4. Changed the cable from the projector to the AV receiver. No change. Still showing that 0x480 resolution in the info.
5. Directly connected the cable from the Apple TV to the projector. Bingo! Got a picture and the resolution was showing as 720p. HOWEVER it had a major HDMI handshake problem. So, I turned everything off. Then, turned the Apple TV on first and then the X7. Still got the handshake problem with the image dropping out every 5-6 seconds. Did this several times but no luck. Tried a different cable too. No difference.
6. Directly connected the Freesat+ and then the Marantz bluray player directly to the projector. No good. Still getting that 0x480 resolution thing.
7. Tried changing the resolution of the Freesat+ to 720p. No image.
8. Tried a Factory Reset of the X7 from the Service Menu. No change.

All sources and the AV are working perfectly happily with my Samsung LCD TV.

I can only surmise that there is some sort of software corruption in the X7 that means it is mis-reading the HDMI input. OR, its a problem with the HDMI circuit itself.

I've sent a message to Sontec and I've taken the projector off its ceiling mount so its easier for me to do some investigative work and with the strong prospect that it'll be getting couriered to Norwich for diagnostics/repair.

The one last thing I am going to attempt is to re-install the latest firmware on the projector in the hope that the firmware itself may be corrupt.

Has anyone else come across this issue and able to provide some guidance/insight?

Cheers.

Yes me tonight after a power cut. Same fault as you. No picture from JVC on either bluray or sky. Now sound goes to my Susano from sky via fibre optic and I can only get sound when I turn my oppo on as well. [emoji53]WTF.
The oppo has sound via HDMI to amp and the pic goes straight to the projector?
Did you resolve your issue
I have same reading as you in projector as you. 0 470 h. 0.0 v. 0.0

old thread i know, was there any solution to this? - I have the same issue now
nothing changed in system or wiring - switched on and no image and showing input signal as 0x480 resolution

Last edited:
Same problem here. But my problem seems to be monitor2 output of my avr x4700 denon ampli. Monitor1 work well on x7 and on my new lg oled tv. Monitor2 no more working with vpr and lg oled but works with other 3 monitor asus,lg,viewsonic I have tested... monitor2 also works if I add a hdmi splitter from ampli and vpr or lg oled. My problem happened after switch off power.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom