Odd bass response. Help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lechacal, Oct 31, 2001.

1. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    My setup is Yamaha 795a amp, Kef Q35.2 fronts and a Q95.2 centre, and a fairly cheapo (can't remember the model) Yammy sub.
    I have set all my speakers to 'small' and my LFE setting is 'SW only'.
    Thing is, when I listen to music sources in particular (MTV, CDs etc) and turn 'effect off' on the amp i.e. vanilla stereo, I seem to get much better bass response from the system than when I leave it in Pro-Logic. I first put this down to my centre not being up to it, but have changed this opinion for two reasons. First, I've been advised by people I trust that the centre I have is actually have decent and should provide good balance with the rest of my setup. Secondly, after sticking my head next to the sub, I can say for certain that the sub is definitely LOUDER when I turn effects off. I can't understand why this should be with all other things being equal (meaning I'm not playing about with the speaker sizes).
    I must admit that I've never been unhappy with the sound from my setup, but in comparison the sound is definitely lacking when Pro-Logic is turned on. I have a suspicion (not yet tested) that DD and DTS sources may suffer in the same way.

Any help/advice/useful comments would be very much appreciated. Villification of my choice of components will be borne with dignity.
    Thanks.

2. elaysian

elaysian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lechacal,

from what I understand, from my research into bass, LFE and subwoofers over the last few months, what you are hearing is quite correct.

I also have a drop in 'bass' levels when listening in DPL, but when in stereo, DD or DTS the 'bass' seems much stronger.

This is due to the LFE channel being extrapolated from the front 2 channels in DPL.

In true 5.1 there is the dedicated LFE channel and also all channels that are set to small have their lower frequencies sent to the sub, therefore there is more 'bass' sent to the sub than in DPL.

In stereo there is no extrapolation, just low frequencies from the 2 channels sent to the sub. The blending between the channels is better. Also the overall volume is probably a little louder.

Hope this makes sense.

Jon

3. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand why the signal to the sub is different depending on whether stereo or DPL is selected.
    If I'm just being thick can you give the the guide 'for dummies'?

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DPL messes around with the signal since processing is applied. Keep in mind that DPL is fairly old and works usually in the analog domain.

In stereo the signal is pure and hence remains unaffected.

5. elaysian

elaysian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Same is true in DPL for me and I use a REL Q100, a Denon a1d and a set of B&W speakers.

If I have speakers set to small and bass sent just to sub then in DPL programs there is less bass because my subwoofer is connected using the phono cable. The phono cable sends bass to the sub dependent of how the bass is encoded onto the item you are watching.

With a 5.1 soundtrack you have a dedicated bass channel and no matter what you set your speakers to bass will be sent to your subwoofer, however in DPL there is no dedicated sub channel and there will be a drop in bass response.

Try setting your speakers to large, this way more bass will be sent to them.

And mainly do not worry too much, years ago when I first got an LD player and my first HC gear I was very impressed by the bass on DPL soundtracks, but 5.1 sound now does so muvh better that you are left thinking you are missing something when goin back

7. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks a lot for all the advice. I was more worried about DPL programmes (and stereo) on TV, and my real worry was that there was something wrong with my setup or I had a component that wasn't pulling its' weight.

Funny, I just set the main speakers to 'small' after seeing another discussion on the subject of bass...

I think I need to save for a new sub anyway. Cheers.:D