Oculus's embarassing direction for VR

"The Climb 2, Population One, Jurassic World Aftermath, Project 4, , Star Wars Tales From The Galaxy's Edge, Sniper Elite VR, Myst, Assassin's Creed VR and Splinter Cell VR"

I can't find trailers for Project 4.

I'm not sure what about this doesn't look Questified.

Again cheap simple artstyle, proving my point.

I mean this looks absolutely awful

I mean, have you played Vader Immortal? Its literally what I described and I can strongly bet money on this being very similar. Happy to be proven wrong at release date.

Sniper Elite VR is multiplatform so hopefully won't be hampered by the Q1/Q2.

Myst's trailer is barren of any gameplay footage. Assasin's Creed and Splinter cell games likewise have no gameplay; given how Oculus treated the Starwars and Marvel franchise, its difficult to envisage them doing a 360 and treating it with care and attention; prioritising the power of the PC over the Q1/Q2. Happy to be proven wrong with some proof.

I was talking more in terms of scope. You're not going to get PC VR visuals from a standalone headset, but the scope of the games should be the same as first generation Rift games once developers start to take advantage of the considerably more powerful hardware in the Quest 2 compared to the OG Quest. In the meantime developers will have the choice of having Quest/Quest 2/PC VR settings in their games or downgrading everything to cover the Quest 1.

Different developers will choose to do different things at the end of the day but as time goes on we'll see developer support for the OG Quest dropping considerably.

You also haven't mentioned the likes of The Climb 2 either. The PC VR version will almost certainly be up to the first game in terms of scope and visuals.

As far as I'm concerned with my games I'm going to have a user selection of what headset they're using as well as supersampling options to ensure that Dino Coaster VR will have improved visuals possible when a successor to the Quest 2 is released.

And with regards to Jurassic World Aftermath I personally really like the art direction they've taken. I think it looks great. Same with Population One too.

And it wouldn't surprise me if we see the developers of Tales From The Edge upping the eye candy quality depending on the headset that the game is running on, we'll have to wait and see.

I can see good things coming from developers for the Quest 2 now that Facebook no longer have their standalone headset being run by a potato, we'll start to see PC VR ports happening that weren't possible on the OG Quest pretty soon.

I'm still probably not going to get one but it's looking like a good quality headset at a bargain price. It's less than half the price of the G2 and the G2 isn't anywhere near twice as good in relative terms, and it's less than a third of the price of the Index and the index isn't anywhere near three times better than the Quest 2 in relative terms.

Of course, the Inddx and G2 are BETTER headsets, nobody in their right mind can deny that, but the gulf in quality is most certainly NOT reflected in the difference between the prices of the headsets.

We might even see Valve selling a good few less headsets due to the release of both the G2 and the Quest 2.

I'm pretty sure that we'll start to see a price cut for the Index soon, either that or a resolution upgrade. They're going to need to do something to stop a loss in sales I think.

I was talking more in terms of scope. You're not going to get PC VR visuals from a standalone headset, but the scope of the games should be the same as first generation Rift games once developers start to take advantage of the considerably more powerful hardware in the Quest 2 compared to the OG Quest. In the meantime developers will have the choice of having Quest/Quest 2/PC VR settings in their games or downgrading everything to cover the Quest 1.

Different developers will choose to do different things at the end of the day but as time goes on we'll see developer support for the OG Quest dropping considerably.

You also haven't mentioned the likes of The Climb 2 either. The PC VR version will almost certainly be up to the first game in terms of scope and visuals.

As far as I'm concerned with my games I'm going to have a user selection of what headset they're using as well as supersampling options to ensure that Dino Coaster VR will have improved visuals possible when a successor to the Quest 2 is released.

And with regards to Jurassic World Aftermath I personally really like the art direction they've taken. I think it looks great. Same with Population One too.

And it wouldn't surprise me if we see the developers of Tales From The Edge upping the eye candy quality depending on the headset that the game is running on, we'll have to wait and see.

I can see good things coming from developers for the Quest 2 now that Facebook no longer have their standalone headset being run by a potato, we'll start to see PC VR ports happening that weren't possible on the OG Quest pretty soon.

I'm still probably not going to get one but it's looking like a good quality headset at a bargain price. It's less than half the price of the G2 and the G2 isn't anywhere near twice as good in relative terms, and it's less than a third of the price of the Index and the index isn't anywhere near three times better than the Quest 2 in relative terms.

Of course, the Inddx and G2 are BETTER headsets, nobody in their right mind can deny that, but the gulf in quality is most certainly NOT reflected in the difference between the prices of the headsets.

We might even see Valve selling a good few less headsets due to the release of both the G2 and the Quest 2.

I'm pretty sure that we'll start to see a price cut for the Index soon, either that or a resolution upgrade. They're going to need to do something to stop a loss in sales I think.

The scope of the games look crap alongside the graphical fidelity and detail. The Star Wars game for example which you quoted will be the same as Vader Immortal, and the scope there was absolutely paper thin.

I forgot about the Climb 2. The Climb isn't really apart from visuals a very impressive game. I'd have hoped The Climb 2 would reinvent the wheel now after the The Climb being some sort of tech demo. Hopefully it far surpasses its predcessor in gameplay and interactions. However, I really think it'll be a Quest1/2 made first title. Its pretty much a made for Quest game.

The Index still has a waiting list so I think sadly Valve won't be forced to do anything, and anything they do, will be on their own time.

So yeah, I liked that you listed every single Oculus title you could think of but sadly most of those games proved my point.

I would think that the makers of all this advanced revolutionary hardware should perhaps make some software to utilise it.

I would think that the makers of all this advanced revolutionary hardware should perhaps make some software to utilise it.

i agree. my main beef with valve is this.

But we’re back to the age old argument.

Oculus is 100% VR

Valve was 100% Pancake.

Oculus started from nothing.

Valve already did the hard work with their exclusives back in the 90’s

Oculus have everything to gain and nothing to lose spending millions on VR.

Valve have nothing to gain and possibly everything to lose by supporting VR.

PCVR isn’t a new market. It’s a market that comes from pancake gamers. The more Valve supports VR the more the VR competition has of grabbing some of those gamers. But if Valve don’t support VR at all and VR became a revolution then they would see their pancake game sales shrink year on year.

So no, Valve have no incentive to turn their pancake store into a VR store which they already established years ago. If Valves store evolves into a VR store they have to hang on to as many users as possible.

Oculus on the other hand started at ground zero and if they relied on third parties momentum in VR adoption would stall and their store collapse before it hit going.

Oculus have little to no competition in the stand-alone market so it makes more sense for them to inject all their resources there.

I think we’ve had the greatest year for VR games in 2020 and Valve is heading the pack.

That post makes absolutely NO sense at all. 🤔

That’s why you own an obsolete headset when for years you said Oculus would be crazy to get rid of the Rift line. Well they have.

What’s going to be you next Oculus headset? Can’t wait to find out.

Last edited:
That’s why you own an obsolete headset when for years you ssid Oculus would be crazy to get rid of the Rift line. Well they have.

What’s going to be you next Oculus headset? Can’t wait to find out.

Probably the Quest 2 if I get a payout on my Plevin claim. Not because I want one for PC VR use, I'm more than happy with my Rift S at the moment, but because I'm developing a game for the Quest, Quest 2 and Rift and want to know how far I can push the hardware without turning it into a slideshow. Difficult to test without a Quest/Quest 2 headset. I can ask some of the guys on the Oculus forums to try things out but I've NO idea what the OG Quest is capable of so I don't want to go overboard with my draw calls and texture sizes, and don't want to subject people to an experience (even during a stress test!) the prospect of being reunited with their dinner lol :rotfl: :laugh:

If I don't get a payout on my Plevin claim then I'll carry on using my Rift S for a couple of years I expect.

My spending priorities are:

1) Yaw VR motion simulator
2) Quest 2
3) 3080

If I'm REALLY lucky I might be able to get all three with my Plevin claim but I'm not expecting that much of a payout. I got a grand for my partial refund of my PPI payments so I'll probably only get a few hundred quid. Not enough to get my Yaw VR motion simulator but enough to get a Quest 2 with a bit of luck. If I get a few hundred quid it's not enough to make much difference to when I can get my Yaw VR motion sim but will move the Quest 2 from number 2 to number 1 in my priority list above because I'll have the cash in the bank to pay for it without a problem.

I've also got £35 in my Paypal account and by the end of the month I SHOULD have another 30 quid in my Paypal account and 60 to 90 quids worth of Amazon vounchers to spend too, so I may be tempted to get one anyway because it's only going to cost me maybe a hundred quid out of my own pocket.

I'm going to have around 1000 quid saved up for my Yaw VR motion simulator before Christmas and another 700 quid to add to that in May next year so getting a Quest 2 before Christmas and a Yaw VR motion simulator next year is certainly doable even if I end up getting bugger all from my Plevin claim. :cool:

Probably the Quest 2 if I get a payout on my Plevin claim. Not because I want one for PC VR use, I'm more than happy with my Rift S at the moment, but because I'm developing a game for the Quest, Quest 2 and Rift and want to know how far I can push the hardware without turning it into a slideshow. Difficult to test without a Quest/Quest 2 headset. I can ask some of the guys on the Oculus forums to try things out but I've NO idea what the OG Quest is capable of so I don't want to go overboard with my draw calls and texture sizes, and don't want to subject people to an experience (even during a stress test!) the prospect of being reunited with their dinner lol :rotfl: :laugh:

If I don't get a payout on my Plevin claim then I'll carry on using my Rift S for a couple of years I expect.

2) Quest 2
3) 3080

If I'm REALLY lucky I might be able to get all three with my Plevin claim but I'm not expecting that much of a payout. I got a grand for my partial refund of my PPI payments so I'll probably only get a few hundred quid. Not enough to get my Yaw VR motion simulator but enough to get a Quest 2 with a bit of luck. If I get a few hundred quid it's not enough to make much difference to when I can get my Yaw VR motion sim but will move the Quest 2 from number 2 to number 1 in my priority list above because I'll have the cash in the bank to pay for it without a problem.

I've also got £35 in my Paypal account and by the end of the month I SHOULD have another 30 quid in my Paypal account and 60 to 90 quids worth of Amazon vounchers to spend too, so I may be tempted to get one anyway because it's only going to cost me maybe a hundred quid out of my own pocket.

I'm going to have around 1000 quid saved up for my Yaw VR motion simulator before Christmas and another 700 quid to add to that in May next year so getting a Quest 2 before Christmas and a Yaw VR motion simulator next year is certainly doable even if I end up getting bugger all from my Plevin claim. :cool:

Good luck with your claim.

Stand alone VR may never get any wider than Quests current FoV if Oculus prioritize graphics performance. And Quest2 is bound by Qualcomms XR2 chip which might not get replaced for another 3 years.

While Quest2 seems like a bargain now as its resolution is inline with current PCVR headsets I think its usefulness as a PCVR headset will be short lived. I give it 6 months.

Good luck with your claim.

Stand alone VR may never get any wider than Quests current FoV if Oculus prioritize graphics performance. And Quest2 is bound by Qualcomms XR2 chip which might not get replaced for another 3 years.

While Quest2 seems like a bargain now as its resolution is inline with current PCVR headsets I think its usefulness as a PCVR headset will be short lived. I give it 6 months.

Cheers 😁

I can't see the Quest 3 having the XR2 in a couple of years time, or maybe even 18 months time. They'll give the Quest 3 an upgrade in either resolution or FOV or maybe even both which will mean they'll also upgrade the XR2.

And its usefulness as a PC VR headset will be exactly the same in 6 months as it is now. In terms of visuals (according to various reports) it's on a par with or even beating the Index in some cases. There's considerably less SDE and godrays too.

Sure, there are artifacts and the black levels aren't as good but going by reports in PC VR terms it's between the Index and the G2 in terms of IQ, although admittedly closer to the Index than the G2.

And it should be noted that those artifacts will decrease in time as Oculus tweak a few bits and pieces.

2) Quest 2
3) 3080

Gimme a shout if you want me to test, I have a Quest, S and soon a Quest 2 :)

Cheers 😁

I can't see the Quest 3 having the XR2 in a couple of years time, or maybe even 18 months time. They'll give the Quest 3 an upgrade in either resolution or FOV or maybe even both which will mean they'll also upgrade the XR2.

And its usefulness as a PC VR headset will be exactly the same in 6 months as it is now. In terms of visuals (according to various reports) it's on a par with or even beating the Index in some cases. There's considerably less SDE and godrays too.

Sure, there are artifacts and the black levels aren't as good but going by reports in PC VR terms it's between the Index and the G2 in terms of IQ, although admittedly closer to the Index than the G2.

I wouldn't say its between the G2 and Index based on display and image quality. Its clearly trading blows with the Index, but with the provision of :

negatives against the Q2:
crap black levels, poor contrast, poor colours, artifacts which can't be completely eliminated because its compression based, no physical IPD for pinpoint precision of sharpness, much poorer vertical FOV, poorer horizontal FOV, poorer refresh rate, sharpness is variable due to the compression

positives for the Q2:
better SDE, much less glare, probably will have less vertical SDE on movement of head so won't need column correction

no point comparing to G2 cos G2 smokes Q2 in every single way. index still edges G2 on horizontal fov, vertical FOV, refresh rate but thats about it.

... anyway all this stuff is relative.
if you are happy with a rift s, you'll be ecstatic with a Q2. I thought the rift s was an awful VR headset so we all have different standards for what we think is acceptable and its important to appreciate that. and tbh if ur happy with that.. its a good thing as you save £££.

I wish i could be happy with a cheap LCD TV cos I could grab a £2k 85'' LCD TV rather than spending £5k-6k on a OLED TV. Likewise I wish I found TV speakers to be 'amazing' so I could not spend £6k+ on audio lol.

money u save on playing with the rift s + its controllers (rather than a higher end headset+controllers) u can put towards yawvr which if u like games which use it will provide much more immersion and fun than for u relatively speaking.

also lets not forget the Q2 is a bargain.

I think for the money the Q2 is fantastic but i hate fanboys trying to make it out to be better than it is. Its a great budget headset. and its sad that in the VR Tech world £399 is still "budget" as £399 is a lot of money given the quality of VR games we have.

only oculus have ever seemed interested in lowering the price point of VR so they are necessary in this VR world. (they did it with CV1 too).

also lets not forget the Q2 is a bargain.

I think for the money the Q2 is fantastic but i hate fanboys trying to make it out to be better than it is. Its a great budget headset. and its sad that in the VR Tech world £399 is still "budget" as £399 is a lot of money given the quality of VR games we have.

only oculus have ever seemed interested in lowering the price point of VR so they are necessary in this VR world. (they did it with CV1 too).
£299......... Just sayin'

Some people make the Q2 sound like its unusable.
Its still a VERY capable HDM. Yes there are better out there, but for the price its unbeatable and VERY VERY good.

Some people make the Q2 sound like its unusable.
Its still a VERY capable HDM. Yes there are better out there, but for the price its unbeatable and VERY VERY good.

I think this ends up happening because oculus fanboys decide to try and make the q2 to be better than it is.

In truth each headset at its respective price point has a target audience.

Its not that much of a bargain though is it? £299 for 64gb??? Most people will pay the extra £100 for 256gb. That's with the horrible strap reviewers say sits on your ears. So most people will get the £50 or £120 elite strap to ease the suffering. Then add on the 5m USB cable for PC play. Total £520-550.

People can still buy the Quest2 for £299 and use it solely for Steam games which means Oculus would take a loss on the sale and not recoup anything back through game sales. That would work out well for Valve. How many more Alyx sales will they make this Christmas through new Quest2 customers?

Its not that much of a bargain though is it? £299 for 64gb??? Most people will pay the extra £100 for 256gb. That's with the horrible strap reviewers say sits on your ears. So most people will get the £50 or £120 elite strap to ease the suffering. Then add on the 5m USB cable for PC play. Total £520-550.

People can still buy the Quest2 for £299 and use it solely for Steam games which means Oculus would take a loss on the sale and not recoup anything back through game sales. That would work out well for Valve. How many more Alyx sales will they make this Christmas through new Quest2 customers?

If you stick to the normal strap and buy the 64gb it’s a bargain.

No ones going to do that though are they?

I think plenty of people will, and plenty of people won't. A lot of people will be buying the Quest 2... a lot.

At least with Oculus, their fans know they'll get new headsets.

When are we getting the Index 2.0? Next year? The year after? Any news on the promised 3 games from Valve? No?

As much heat you throw Oculus, this does go around in circles as Valve aren't sitting pretty either in terms of furthering VR. We're 18 months on nearly and they've had shit loads of mistakes, plenty of RMAs, lots of flaws from the joysticks of the Index controllers to the vertical SDE issue which requires 'column correction' aka shifting the issue to another colour.

Similar to the Index, some people buy the Index, then buy some extra grips for £50, then mod the hell out of their Index. You'll get idiots with either brand which don't seem to be able to appreciate the value proposition of a device.

Not knocking the Quest2. Its good for what it is no doubt.

I was just pointing out 90% of Quest 2 sold will be 256GB.

Of all Quest2 sold 66% of owners will then go on to buy the Elite headstrap.

You'll propbably have less than 10% of Quest2 buyers who don't get either the 256GB model or the headstrap.

So £299 is not actually what people will end up spending.

If you already have the HTC BS and controllers then the Index is only £460 inc quality Audio and 5m cable and much wider FoV.

Just saying.

Not knocking the Quest2. Its good for what it is no doubt.

I was just pointing out 90% of Quest 2 sold will be 256GB.

Of all Quest2 sold 66% of owners will then go on to buy the Elite headstrap.

You'll propbably have less than 10% of Quest2 buyers who don't get either the 256GB model or the headstrap.

So £299 is not actually what people will end up spending.

If you already have the HTC BS and controllers then the Index is only £460 inc quality Audio and 5m cable and much wider FoV.

Just saying.

Yeah Oculus's business model is amazing. They've released a cheap built product and make users buy the optional accessories to make it a decent product.

Genius which will increase profits and sales further. They can even later on down the line price drop the Q2 to £250 but keep the peripherals the same price which will protect profit margins.

I wouldn't get an Index just for the headset. The main selling point for me is the controllers. Those vive wands are awful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom