oculus quest tracking vs WMR tracking.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks interesting if it pans out

dont get me wrong, it is still not rift levels of 360 degree tracking however stick a sensor on the back and maybe???

https://i.redd.it/dh566leza9rz.png

You're also going to have problems with the Touch controllers being close to your head which will cause problems playing bow and arrow games and turning on the light in Lone Echo.

This looks interesting if it pans out

dont get me wrong, it is still not rift levels of 360 degree tracking however stick a sensor on the back and maybe???

https://i.redd.it/dh566leza9rz.png
I think the reference position and orientation of the cameras needs to be static for it to work. Adding a camera at the back would probably mean a very rigid headstrap?

HTC have talked about an acoustic tracking system for controllers, not as accurate as cameras but you can get away with some inaccuracy of the controllers that you can't for the HMD.

A real world solution would probably use both. Camera based tracking when the controller is in your eyesight, acoustic tracking for when its behind you. May be a more elegant solution that a camera on the back.

A couple of cameras on the back may help a lot with the HMD tracking. The WMR apparently give up if you get to close to a wall. Eyes in the back of your head would allow it to hold on to some reference points. Can't imagine the cameras are very expensive.

But that's the problem - putting cameras on the back means you'd need a rigid headband or strap to mount them on (or the tracking would be horrible), which makes it a much larger portable device.

Exactly @ArmitageShanks

A rear camera needs to be fixed in relation to the front cameras. Otherwise it would be like one Rift sensor constantly moving around. No HMD will incorporate a fixed bracket to the rear because it would look horrendous and would be akin to wearing a full on helmet. It couldn’t be part of the headstrap either which needs to be flexible in order to match different size and shaped heads.

Which is precisely why I don't believe that Oculus are going to be using inside out tracking for the CV2.

It's going to be Constellation tracking for the CV2 and we won't see a different tracking system until the CV3 is released.

I also have my doubts that Oculus are going to release the CV2 next year, same for HTC and the next Vive. 2020 is the year for those devices from both companies imo.

We NEED constellation or lighthouse tracking.

If Oculus ditch the sensors, I'll ditch Oculus. Inside out tracking is GREAT for convenience but but perfect tracking >> resolution.

Losing tracking even once is annoying, especially in proepr VR games like superhot.

I thought generally WMR is solid for head tracking and solid for controller tracking except when behind or very close to you? If behind then a less accurate system like acoustic tracking should be enough as you aren’t looking at them - you just need to know if they’re moving and the rough location.

Inside out seems the way forward IMO - if oculus quest has it, then I can see OR2 having it as well - keep the tech aligned. Also removes the one thing people complain about with the rift which is the cabling and USB fun with multiple cameras

I thought generally WMR is solid for head tracking and solid for controller tracking except when behind or very close to you? If behind then a less accurate system like acoustic tracking should be enough as you aren’t looking at them - you just need to know if they’re moving and the rough location.

Inside out seems the way forward IMO - if oculus quest has it, then I can see OR2 having it as well - keep the tech aligned. Also removes the one thing people complain about with the rift which is the cabling and USB fun with multiple cameras

One time cabling setup + superior tracking >>>>

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom