Quantcast

Oculus Quest Mods ?

Hi,

I am very interested in getting a Oculus Quest but I am concerned with the comfort for my self and my son. Has anyone done any of the mods or bought some additional thing to improve it ?

I have seen lots of mods using the Vive deluxe audio straps (frankenquest I think its called) but they are basically out of stock everywere now so I think that is no longer an option. So is there any alternative for 2020 ? Cheers

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Only mod i'm trying currently is adding a battery pack to the back for weight distribution and a new softer face mask

I dont think it needs much more than that.

I would interested to hear how that works out , I have seen pictures of a few people using velco to attach either a weight or battery (acting as a weight also).

I have also seen a couple of additional straps that are for sale that get mixed reviews on how well they work to move some load from the top of your head. I value any information on these if anyone has one.

I would also be interested in any quest user who has no issues, are the comfort issues being over played ?

Last edited:

Hors1na

I have owned a quest since just before Christmas and have done no mods to it all and find the comfort just fine. I've played it until the battery died and had no issues.

RockSteddie

I really think it comes down to the size and shape of your head. I have a smallish head and I do find the Quest to be rather uncomfortable, mainly the pressure on the the cheeks and nose area. I also find the original foam on the faceplate to be a bit scratchy.

So far I've added a Anker powerbank to the rear strap to act as a counter weight and also added a Studioform head strap to the top front of the Quest head strap which provides more support and helps redistribute the weight to the forehead. Lastly a new PU leather face cover from VR cover which is much nicer that the original Quest one in my opinion.

All the mods make the quest much more comfortable for me and I can now use it for extended periods of time without issue, it is still not perfect but I'm happy for now.

So many people say the Rift S Halo head strap is much more comfortable so it's a shame Oculus could not implement a similar solution for the Quest so we would not have to shell out extra money to make things more comfortable!

Thanks for the reply - as it stands after much research I think I am going to get the Rift S over the Quest even in light of my pretty low IPD and hope I can deal with it. I also have a smallish head and my son whats to use it also and he is smaller than me. The PSVR we have fits us both nicely and doesnt have a IPD adjustment and it OK to use.

So a combination of it fitting better, slight better experiences in game e.g no compression, refresh rate better has pushed me in the direction of the Rift S over the quest. I only want to play linked to the PC so again it was only the IPD factor and I just hope I can deal with it - I tend not to play more that 30 mins at once so fingers crossed.

aoaaron

Thanks for the reply - as it stands after much research I think I am going to get the Rift S over the Quest even in light of my pretty low IPD and hope I can deal with it. I also have a smallish head and my son whats to use it also and he is smaller than me. The PSVR we have fits us both nicely and doesnt have a IPD adjustment and it OK to use.

So a combination of it fitting better, slight better experiences in game e.g no compression, refresh rate better has pushed me in the direction of the Rift S over the quest. I only want to play linked to the PC so again it was only the IPD factor and I just hope I can deal with it - I tend not to play more that 30 mins at once so fingers crossed.
I find the Quest's comfort absolutely fine. The key is making the weight bare all on the headstrap and not the front. Sure it might not be absolutely ideal for 2-3 hour play sessions but its great.

I'd personally go for the Quest. The Rift S has no mechanicap IPD which means even if your IPD is 'in range', its not going to be sharp as it would have been with a physical IPD. But its your choice and you'll get a better image than PSVR anyway.

The OLED is also beautiful on the Quest.

The Rift S has an awesome clarity and its comfy in regards to weight distribution but the actual visor wobbles in action a slight bit which isn't ideal whilst the Quest stays to your face.

Anyway given its for you and your kid, I can't help but feel you'll have infinitely more fun with the Quest. When you said 30 minute play sessions, it screams Oculus Quest. When you add in you're playing it with your kid and you sound like you genuinely just want to enjoy VR and have fun... again Quest.

I'd buy a quest and if the comfort is unbearable, then return it and get a Rift S. The quest is simply IMO the better engineered product and it is the only product released from oculus and designed totally by oculus.

Thanks for that Aoaaron, when you say "the key is making the weight bare all on the headstrap " do you mean ensuring the top (over your head front to back) strap is set right to take some of the weight ?

Also my IPD is 56 according to both a ruler and the eye measure app which is low enough t be out of scope on just about anything, but I suspect setting the quest to 58 which I think is its lowest at least gets me a lot closer. its a tricky one but all the games I and my son are interested are outside of the quest and need link to work - , boneworks, argards wrath, hotel RnR (my son wants this) etc.

really I need to demo a Rift S and see but thats just not possible. I just cannot decide which is best

aoaaron

Just buy it and play around with it. Everyone has a different head shape but basically attach the strap under the posterior side of your occipital border and tilt the visor downwards and it should be nice enough.

Especially for 30 minutes.

Yeah IPD 56 is going to be terrible for a rift s. Its actually even not in the range of the quest but it will look fine I’m sure.

Ordered a Quest in end - your right I need to focus on the fun rather than the numbers and the whole family will play beat sabre for example which can be quest only and wireless and I can play bone works teathered hence it will get used more, where as rift S not so much.

now I just see how long an amazon pre order take to arrive. bought an anker link cable as well hope 3m is long enough but I want to test it before condisering a £89 oculus cable.

aoaaron

Ordered a Quest in end - your right I need to focus on the fun rather than the numbers and the whole family will play beat sabre for example which can be quest only and wireless and I can play bone works teathered hence it will get used more, where as rift S not so much.

now I just see how long an amazon pre order take to arrive. bought an anker link cable as well hope 3m is long enough but I want to test it before condisering a £89 oculus cable.

i use an amazon basics cable. i connect it to my front USB so it actually gives me an extra metre over my Rift S cable anyway. I think 3M in a decent playspace is enough, and there are plenty of USB extension cables. I've seen people rocking a 10M-20M cable which isnt really possible with the rift s or index without buying VERY expensive cables.

u definitely made the right decision.

if you REALLY end up liking VR and want a step up in experience.. enjoy the quest first to the maximum.

then think about either getting:
1. valve index + base stations + index controllers £919
or
2. pimax 8kx + base stations + index £180

I think those are the two next proper step ups for PCVR where you'll be like 'wow this is next gen'.
But honestly I'd only do it once you've played the hell out of your quest and sure you love VR.
i also wouldn't play boneworks on anything which doesn't have index controllers because the experience is amazing with them. I'd save it until you're sure ur not gonna buy an index/8kx. There are PLENTY of games which work really well on touch controllers and also boneworks is really imo one of the last games someone should play as it makes every other VR game feel very very outdated, but it also requires a bit of VR expeirence (ok a lot).

Amazon advising me that its going be in delivered....

estimated arrival date: February 29 2020 - April 17 2020

OK better cool my boots for a while.

cancelled my order with Amazon UK - re-ordered with Amazon US, esitmated delivery is now 25-29 of Jan - yeah it will come with a US plug but I can get around that.

must.... resist.... buying...accessories..before it ...arrives...arhhhh.

Ok got some cheap ear buds

oh and this

and of course this

I will resist buying head straps and replacement eye cushions and VR walrus polishing kits etc until it actually arrives as I might find it comfy ! who knows ?

I have started collecting 2 pence coins to make a weight and velcro it to the back if needed.

It arrives on monday 27th so anyone with any questions for a first time users let me know. I will also be using it to warp the mind of my son so he can become the right kind of killer sociopath the new world will need after the forth coming apocalypse.

Last edited:

Atmos

The price of the Headstrap is crazy. I bought the Vive Deluxe Audio Headstrap for £99. I’m now selling it on eBay for over £180. I’m surprised HTC stopped manufacturing them so quickly given the demand.

aoaaron

try not to buy accessories. i found the quest comfortable by itself tbh. i think some people might just have weak necks and need to hit the gym hahahaa

Dwayne Dibley

@Fe_man2000
So?.... has it arrived? ..... what's the verdict?

I ordered it from Amazon US in the end and it arrived in around 6 days, so I have had it for a couple of weeks now. ITs really good, I can used it OK set at the lowest IPD. Glad I bought the quest over the Rift as the things I was worried about are small issues and the link works great so my son can play hotel RnR while beat sabre and robo recall are great unteathered.

Downsides - VR is not something I enjoy for more than a short session, its not relaxing so I have to be in mood for it. Its never going to replace PC/console gaming for me but there is nothing quiet like it and vadar immortal was a blast. I find my boy uses it much more than I do, he thinks its freakying amazing.

Dwayne Dibley

Thanks @Fe_man2000 .

I had a go on one last week. We fired up Beat Sabre, I think, and immediately I felt a bit woozy, so like a wimp I closed my eyes! Which caused the Quest to power the screen down. Which I thought was a nice touch.

I then tried the training / intro program, and was completely wowed! I am hoping that the wooziness will reduce as I acclimatise to the sensation. Did you find this?

I hope to pick one up, but not likely very soon, as they are not in stock anywhere.

As you say, VR gaming wont replace my conventional gaming setup, it will be in addition.

:thumbsup:

Its worth fiddling with the IPD slider to find where you can see the best, also its location on the head can help meaning some slight adjustments up and down to centre it on your eyes helped reduce the feeling of wooziness.

Trending threads

Latest News

BBC licence fee to be scrapped?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mini LED Active Matrix to boost market uptake
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2020 - What to expect
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Q950TS 8K QLED in Europe