Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset Review & Comments

my nephew has the Oculus Quest. has had it several months so must be the first iteration of it.
i sneered at the price when my sister asked me to investigate it for her prior to buying. having now had a go i've been massively impressed (even with mild motion sickness :zonked: must be an age thing)
lovely piece of kit

Glad you like it. In some ways the Q2 is a less premium bit of kit than Q1 .... But the guts of it and what really matters are a nice step up.

If we're talking about an algorithm deciding on bans based on what site your visiting that have no bearing on Facebook use, then I think it's moving into tinfoil hat territory. I don't restrict my browsing to what I think Facebook or anyone else would approve of and I don't always take the trouble to clear cookies because it's a pain to keep entering info into some sites that ask for the same stuff over and over.

There have been a number of people mentioning setting up a generic account without using their real names and it's more likely that this is the kind of thing that will trigger a flag if, or if IP addresses match countries where Facebook is prohibited, maybe via VPN use, that sort of thing. Or anything that makes it look like you're not the person you say you are.

FB are unlikely to give out any details of why an account was banned, only that they'll look into it so we have no reference on reddit or anywhere else about what the real trigger is for some accounts. If we had facts that would be helpful, on the other hand giving out that info would in itself be a privacy issue.
My own concern about the risk of linking several hundred pounds' worth of purchases to a Facebook account has less to do with conspiracy fears and more to do with what I see as a very real risk that a linked account might be erroneously deleted.

In recent weeks I've had 3-4 instances of posts being deleted as 'spam' and my account locked as a consequence. The posts were made on a 'private' group with 4 members (myself, my partner, and another couple who have live around 500 miles away and have been very close friends for around 60 years between them).

They were pictures of one of our cats, a comment about taking the same cat to the vet for his annual checkup, and a comment about a beer that appears to have been brewed for the purpose of setting a new ABV record rather than with palatability in mind.

I had the option to 'disagree' with that decision. Which I did, only to be taken to a page that told me, in effect, that I could disagree all I like, it would make damn all difference. Because Covid.

Quite apart from any privacy concerns (and I feel that ship sailed long ago) as mentioned in the review, I really don't
fancy taking the risk of my purchase being turned into an ornament through the actions of a faulty algorithm.

Are people really getting locked out of their oculus accounts erroniously tho?

i am not on about facebook issues here but specifically the oculus side of the account..... I know when the merger 1st happened there were a bunch of issues, including some locked out, but a quick google shows all the reports being from 2020

i didnt see any from 2021. its a genuine question however as i spent all of 20 seconds looking..... maybe it is still an issue but i have not known of it happen to anyone.

i am not on about facebook issues here but specifically the oculus side of the account..... I know when the merger 1st happened there were a bunch of issues, including some locked out, but a quick google shows all the reports being from 2020

i didnt see any from 2021. its a genuine question however as i spent all of 20 seconds looking..... maybe it is still an issue but i have not known of it happen to anyone.
Probably not, but people like to bring up the past as if it were the present to support their argument (not aimed at anyone).
Would be interesting to know though.

I mean, it IS a legitimate concern after all some people did get locked out and whilst as i understand it they were unlocked eventually - the ones erroneously banned - it was a PITA and this is unacceptable.
but I do think it is important to acknowledge if it was a problem that is now fixed or not.

and as for those who were legitimately locked out for one reason or another.... well, TBH I actually dont care.

for instance one could hypothetically argue freedom of speech all they want but we ARE in facebooks house when using their products so for instance if someone was kicked from facebook for preaching hate speech, I would find it hard to have sympathy for them if they lost their oculus account.
of course no one is going to go online and admit they were locked out because they were racist pigs on a facebook site and they had it coming ******

*****and this is absolutely aimed at no one here, I have never seen such behaviour by anyone here it really was a made up extreme example.

There are grey areas however and ultimately that is why i dont like social media and dont post on it at all.... imo the upsides dont outweigh the downsides.

at what point does dangerous speech become speech i just dont agree with??

I feel incredibly strongly against those who preach against vaccines for instance... but those people are just giving what they consider a legitimate opinion against a real threat........

where is the line however, i mean, I dont believe Jesus had no biological father or that he rose from the dead...... in fact i believe that is even LESS likely than the vaccine having tracking nanites in it.

hmmm i seem to have gone on a ramble.... sorry about that, however my point is, it isnt as easy to decide what is a legitimate usage of account locking than it 1st seems imo.

Last edited:
Probably not, but people like to bring up the past as if it were the present to support their argument (not aimed at anyone).
Would be interesting to know though.
I thought the reports of people being wrongly locked out of FB accounts were common knowledge. Just Google it and you will find dozens of reports.

But on the flip side, people who have been hacked and locked out of their account are buying the Quest because Facebook VR support can also unlock your account and they respond to user requests more quickly. I can personally vouch for their quick response times to requests.

I thought the reports of people being wrongly locked out of FB accounts were common knowledge. Just Google it and you will find dozens of reports.

But on the flip side, people who have been hacked and locked out of their account are buying the Quest because Facebook VR support can also unlock your account and they respond to user requests more quickly. I can personally vouch for their quick response times to requests.
Yes i am aware of some people being kicked from FB, but i was replying to Mike's comment about being kicked from Oculus.
Also, my point is that we hardly hear of it any more, so is it still really an issue?

indeed but how far back are you going..... the vast majority of the posts are from 2020, if it were true that large numbers of people were still getting locked out of their accounts now, would there not be loads of posts from the last month? esp given that sales of the headset are apparently greater than ever?.

Also dozens of reports........... out of how many million sales?

Yes i am aware of some people being kicked from FB, but i was replying to Mike's comment about being kicked from Oculus.
Also, my point is that we hardly hear of it any more, so is it still really an issue?
indeed but how far back are you going..... the vast majority of the posts are from 2020,
Fair enough. That looks like it was a particular issue Facebook had with merging accounts in 2020.

TBH I think the success of the Quest 2 upset the Facebook sign up process. Two of my colleagues got bans on new accounts on the same day. After a few days of faffing they were back up.

I can say from experience that my FB account has been locked several times recently. Yes, I've been able to unlock it after some fading about, but it doesn't fill me with confidence about other prproducts that rely on being linked with a potentially volatile FB account.

@TerraCanis why do you think your account has had multiple locks recently?
"Unusual activity" is what it says. I've looked and can't find anything unusual.

Each time it's been followed a day later by the deletion of a random post for "spam" or "violating community standards" Typically a photo of or a post about my cat, shared with a very limited audience.

I really don't see what "community standards" they break, so I can only assume that whatever algorithm they use to detect spam is generating false positives.

It's annoying, and as I said, doesn't inspire cnfidence.

He ONLY uses it to view family posts.
He doesn’t post himself or surf the net with it at all.
It used to be my iPad and I previously used it for my FB account.

It’s only been since May this year he has started using it for FaceTime also.
Well, if that's the case, then there's no other explanation than Fb algorithms are ‘smart’ enough to recognize that. Let's hope it won't change ;)

"Unusual activity" is what it says. I've looked and can't find anything unusual.

Each time it's been followed a day later by the deletion of a random post for "spam" or "violating community standards" Typically a photo of or a post about my cat, shared with a very limited audience.

I really don't see what "community standards" they break, so I can only assume that whatever algorithm they use to detect spam is generating false positives.

It's annoying, and as I said, doesn't inspire cnfidence.
That's a pain.
I don't suppose there's a chance someone on your friends list started being a dick and is flagging posts? FB probably wouldn't say if that were the case and just let it go through a process, hopefully that would include a human check at some point though. Just a thought if it's something that started happening recently.

That's a pain.
I don't suppose there's a chance someone on your friends list started being a dick and is flagging posts? FB probably wouldn't say if that were the case and just let it go through a process, hopefully that would include a human check at some point though. Just a thought if it's something that started happening recently.
All the posts have been on a group with only three other members, all of whom I've known for decades.

If that is what's happening, I can't imagine which one or why. I'd certainly be very disappointed.

Thanks for pointing out the inappropriate use of reactions.

note to all - the thread like many others around the need for FB for the Quest 2 has drifted way off topic. As pointed out there is a thread for the headset already and more to the point if you have general views on the evils and ethics of FB there is a thread for that already too.

Again folks please see post #85 as quoted above.

These review and comment threads should be more about the product. I understand the review asked the question about FB accounts linking to the headset. Can we try to limit the discussion to your individual thoughts on that please? General thoughts of FB ethics really should go in the thread I linked please.

Thanks

The 128gb Version is now on sale on the oculus website two day delivery £299.00

such a crazy amount of bang for your buck imo....
I said this on another forum but i think it is relevant here too......

The quest 2 is not the best vr headset on the market but I think it is the most important.
It is the 1st device to bring "proper" high quality vr at impulse purchase price bracket with no need for extra hardware.
If the quest 2 isn't enough to get vr into the mainstream then I don't think anything will.... (but I am actually fairly optimistic it will / is already doing it).

I've waited long enough to get VR and I want one ASAP! Oculus says free delivery by the 30th which is too slow for me. Is is actually quicker than this? I looked at scan and they don't seem to have any. Amazon offers free delivery by Friday. Overclockers says free delivery 1 to 5 days or £18 for DPD AM but will they actually send it today?

1629799750610.png

I ordered this morning will be here thursday (or so they claim).

Attachments

• oc2.jpg
    oc2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 49
I'm trying to work out if I can get Amazon to do next day delivery. Maybe if I get prime but not sure TBH.
Edit: On Amazon the delivery date changed to Monday, now it's showing Saturday. It changes every time I re-do my basket which I'm doing to to try and get the promised option of next day which might only be for prime IDK.

It looks like 31st August for the 256GB version in case anyone's interested (release date, not delivery date). Going by store expected date which probably isn't a guarantee.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom