Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset Review & Comments

Garioch

Distinguished Member
Agree, but I think it will never happen as I assume that they are worried about people walking out into moving traffic/deep water/landmines etc.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
This 100%…. That vile platform was destroying my mental health…ive been away for near;y 18 months and I’m far happier without it. If it means me latching back to mob culture, political divide, political activists, cruelty and a whole bunch of folk showing the life of perception, then (sadly) I’m out.
what A-hole found that funny ?
i totally agree and have a similar situation .

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
what A-hole found that funny ?
i totally agree and have a similar situation .
Yep, I thought the same but could not be bothered with the internet drama…..I find it contemptible that someone can decide on my behalf that if I set it up right it’s fine…..oh and I look for the horrible stuff that gets plastered on my timeline!

Its an awful place, so I’d rather just avoid it and wait for Psvr 2, but that’s not to say others don’t have the same issues I have, we are all different but I’ve just learnt to get rid of all negativity in my life and move on.

This headset looks brilliant tbh, just a shame I need to avoid the partners! For those that enjoy FB and this tech, fantastic but I’m not allowing myself to be drawn in to something that I have no time or desire for just to get my hands on a new bit of tech.

Great review though.

Queens Pawn

Good review. I own the original Quest but have not used it for some time as I find it uncomfortable and get VR sickness, despite enjoying the experience at least for the first few minutes. I'm not sure the quest 2 is a sufficient leap to upgrade.

JustinTheNick

Agree, but I think it will never happen as I assume that they are worried about people walking out into moving traffic/deep water/landmines etc.
It's more of a tech issue, the cameras are IR/near IR to pick up the LEDs in the controllers so get over exposed in bright light, there are also strong warnings on the Oculus site not to use it outdoors because of the risk of damage to the lenses/screen because of the way headset lenses focus light if you take it off, like using a magnifying glass to burn, and the damage can happen very quickly if it catches the sun.

rustyk21

It's more of a tech issue, the cameras are IR/near IR to pick up the LEDs in the controllers so get over exposed in bright light, there are also strong warnings on the Oculus site not to use it outdoors because of the risk of damage to the lenses/screen because of the way headset lenses focus light if you take it off, like using a magnifying glass to burn, and the damage can happen very quickly if it catches the sun.

Yes I've witnessed that myself as I own one too.
I suppose my comments were tongue in cheek, but at the same time I can see why they are in no hurry to solve the problem, for the reasons stated.

JustinTheNick

It's probably not a priority and may be difficult to solve.

As good as reviews of the Quest 2 are, I think there are functional improvements to come. AR is going to be the next big push (Infinite office is long overdue) and AR stuff like that should take untethered stand-alone headsets to a bigger market.

I was hoping for colour cameras in the Q2 when it was announced for rendering your surroundings for AR apps but maybe Quest 3 will get them.

outoftheknow

Yep, I thought the same but could not be bothered with the internet drama…..I find it contemptible that someone can decide on my behalf that if I set it up right it’s fine…..oh and I look for the horrible stuff that gets plastered on my timeline!

Its an awful place, so I’d rather just avoid it and wait for Psvr 2, but that’s not to say others don’t have the same issues I have, we are all different but I’ve just learnt to get rid of all negativity in my life and move on.

This headset looks brilliant tbh, just a shame I need to avoid the partners! For those that enjoy FB and this tech, fantastic but I’m not allowing myself to be drawn in to something that I have no time or desire for just to get my hands on a new bit of tech.

Great review though.
Thanks for pointing out the inappropriate use of reactions.

note to all - the thread like many others around the need for FB for the Quest 2 has drifted way off topic. As pointed out there is a thread for the headset already and more to the point if you have general views on the evils and ethics of FB there is a thread for that already too.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
ALso I wish they'd nail a form of technology to allow us to use it outside. I'd love to play some of the sports games in my garden.
Sadly that went the wrong way from quest to quest 2. I played the quest one outside in various lighting . It was flawless. Had great fun full garden VR just cannot be over stated.
It was my mates headset but is what convinced me to get a quest 2. Alas my controllers refust to track at all outside with my Q2

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
This 100%…. That vile platform was destroying my mental health…ive been away for near;y 18 months and I’m far happier without it. If it means me latching back to mob culture, political divide, political activists, cruelty and a whole bunch of folk showing the life of perception, then (sadly) I’m out.
Except this is nonsense. (Not that it destroyed your mental health... That is unfortunate ). But you don't have to be involved with the Facebook infrastructure if you don't want to. I think I last logged into it 6 months ago and only use it because my family in Canada insist on it being how to keep in touch and it was a convenient place to show them family pics

Other than that I don't use it. And there are plenty of avenues for weirdos to voice nonsense on the internet..... Facebook, Twitter, or forums.

There are Berks everywhere but if you don't look at them you won't get involved. I admit I do have a habit of feeding the trolls sometimes .(mostly anti vaxers and brexiteers but I digress)... But then it isn't upsetting my mental health. If it was I would stop.

No word of a lie the place where I get most unfriendly messages from is from.... The steam discussion forums.

Last edited:

bogart99

As far as faceberk is concerned, I’m a 98 year old Swedish grandmother called Frida.

Works great for the occasional group I want to read, and as a bonus it suggests some remarkably odd suggestions for things I might like to read 😊
Sounds like one can put in any old gibberish.

Coulson

Suspended
Sounds like one can put in any old gibberish.
You can. But if they catch you or even just decide that your account is bogus then they will ban you. A number of people have reported bring falsely banned so they're not playing.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
So these are in stock end of month? I'm tempted...and it's my birthday in a few weeks.

I think my laptop is up to some vr. Do we think a 1050gtx is ok? I ran the steam test but for whatever reason it used the inbuilt gpu which passed as capable (but slow).

Coulson

Suspended
So these are in stock end of month? I'm tempted...and it's my birthday in a few weeks.

I think my laptop is up to some vr. Do we think a 1050gtx is ok? I ran the steam test but for whatever reason it used the inbuilt gpu which passed as capable (but slow).
As long as you are running Quest games locally on the headset then it doesn't matter. It's only when you want to run SteamVR or PC versions of Quest games it might be a problem. The bare minimum you "might" get away with is the 6GB GTX1060 mobile. It worked nicely with the CV1 which came before the original Quest. But the Quest 2 is more powerful and has a higher resolution than even the original Quest, never mind the CV1.

On top of that, the minimum requirements to play SteamVR is a Desktop GTX970 which is a little more powerful than the GTX1060 mobile, but almost twice as powerful as the GTX1050 mobile.

Last edited:

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
How do these people get banned?
We made a FB account for my 87 year old father a few years back (he was about 82 at the time) so he could keep up with family postings etc and feel closer, especially since COVID (he is in a home and we couldn’t see him for a year).
He has never posted anything in all this time (he just views), he has never ‘liked’ anything in all this time either.
In fact he couldn’t even log in for at least 6 months until I could drop off an old iPad for him to use.
His account has never been blocked.
What must these people be doing to get blocked? Are they getting banned for other reasons? Or is it just scare tactics?
I think it's a matter of cookies files. I would take into consideration not only the actions taken on the platform itself, but generally in the browser and other apps. Your father is probably visiting and using websites defined as typical for his age group by the Fb algorithm and that might serve as validation. Also, there probably wasn't any other Fb login entry from his devices, which might also be taken into consideration. Nonetheless, I'm just wondering and might not be right.

Thug

I think it's a matter of cookies files. I would take into consideration not only the actions taken on the platform itself, but generally in the browser and other apps. Your father is probably visiting and using websites defined as typical for his age group by the Fb algorithm and that might serve as validation. Also, there probably wasn't any other Fb login entry from his devices, which might also be taken into consideration. Nonetheless, I'm just wondering and might not be right.
He ONLY uses it to view family posts.
He doesn’t post himself or surf the net with it at all.
It used to be my iPad and I previously used it for my FB account.

It’s only been since May this year he has started using it for FaceTime also.

stevos

Distinguished Member
I have the galaxy headset thing that turns my phone into VR headset, but the most annoying thing is it constantly steams up, it seems you have to warm up the lens/display before hand to avoid it and even thing it's not 100%. Does the quest also have this issue or have they solved it?

JustinTheNick

If we're talking about an algorithm deciding on bans based on what site your visiting that have no bearing on Facebook use, then I think it's moving into tinfoil hat territory. I don't restrict my browsing to what I think Facebook or anyone else would approve of and I don't always take the trouble to clear cookies because it's a pain to keep entering info into some sites that ask for the same stuff over and over.

There have been a number of people mentioning setting up a generic account without using their real names and it's more likely that this is the kind of thing that will trigger a flag if, or if IP addresses match countries where Facebook is prohibited, maybe via VPN use, that sort of thing. Or anything that makes it look like you're not the person you say you are.

FB are unlikely to give out any details of why an account was banned, only that they'll look into it so we have no reference on reddit or anywhere else about what the real trigger is for some accounts. If we had facts that would be helpful, on the other hand giving out that info would in itself be a privacy issue.

mrapbp

What do people think about the games and gaming experience for these? I am a casual gamer with a PS5 and typically play the last of us 1&2 and similar.

I had the tethered Oculus about 3 years ago and even bought some mega spec PC to get the best out of it. After I was done with the whole ‘wow’ factor of the VR experience (which was amazing at times) I quickly got bored of the crappy games and limited gameplay. Mine has sat in its box unused for a couple of years now and as far as I can tell it is more of an ‘experience’ rather than a true gaming platform

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
What do people think about the games and gaming experience for these? I am a casual gamer with a PS5 and typically play the last of us 1&2 and similar.

I had the tethered Oculus about 3 years ago and even bought some mega spec PC to get the best out of it. After I was done with the whole ‘wow’ factor of the VR experience (which was amazing at times) I quickly got bored of the crappy games and limited gameplay. Mine has sat in its box unused for a couple of years now and as far as I can tell it is more of an ‘experience’ rather than a true gaming platform
I have more games than I know what to do with. Of top of head if you like TLOU try edge of nowhere , hellblade, ..
Edit
Other great games, half-life alyx, lone echo, stormlands

And then a whole bagfull of racing Sims and flight/space games

Heaps more. Imo the argument that there are no good game in VR became invalid years ago

Last edited:

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member

Things are much improved now. Half-life-Alyx, Walking Dead, Boneworks, Doom VFR, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Talos Principle and Star Wars Squadrons are full fat AAA games that come to mind that can be enjoyed in VR.

Even some sub-AAA games, more equivalent to 'indie', are awesome: Moss, Budget Cuts, Arizona Sunshine, Pistol Whip, Beat Sabre, The Gallery Ep 1 and 2, Walkabout Mini Golf.

Even the 'experience' type stuff which is done in a couple of hours keeps getting better. Recently played through Down the Rabbit Hole, A Fisherman's Tale and Curious Tale of Stolen Pets and very much enjoyed them.

More to see here: Best Steam VR Games: 25 Apps For Index, Reverb G2 And Vive. And its worth noting the update history at the bottom of the article to see how vibrant VR has been over the last year and a bit.

Last edited:

Garioch

Distinguished Member

I think the experience factor is secondary to some genuinely excellent games. I tend to prefer titles with a rich narrative so have been completely drawn in to the likes of Saints and Sinners, Room VR and recently Red Matter. I know that the titles I've mentioned aren't even considered massively premium when compared to the likes of Skyrim or HL Alyx. I've got a PS4 and PC, plus a few novelty 16-bit consoles but I keep reaching for my Quest 2 more than the others.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR