Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset Review & Comments

crabby09

I'd say it's a "gateway drug" but let's be honest - it's decent enough quality that higher quality headsets don't really need to be considered for the price difference.

Jenz

What we all really want to know if what was the image quality like post-calibration ? :thumbsup:

On a serious note how do people find these for actually watching movies? There's a VR app that's name escapes me that makes you feel like you are sat in a cinema.

crabby09

What we all really want to know if what was the image quality like post-calibration ? :thumbsup:

On a serious note how do people find these for actually watching movies? There's a VR app that's name escapes me that makes you feel like you are sat in a cinema.

I've visited a couple of screenings in VR... screen door effect is a bit of a pain, but you do feel the "scale" of the big screen. Without higher resolution it won't be replacing real life any time soon.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I'd say it's a "gateway drug" but let's be honest - it's decent enough quality that higher quality headsets don't really need to be considered for the price difference.
Yeah at first it was “this is enough”, but then digging around the VR world, there is a big VR world that has me thinking, hmmmm but the expense of buying a PC plus a good VR headset is enough to put me off and be happy with what the Quest is
Disappointing. But as mentioned, scale makes up some lost ground to quality. I found it can depend on the source.
Not tried loading a movie file directly, but anything on YouTube looks poor, and it’s a close call between Prime and Netflix as both have issues.

Fake Shempz

Bought the 256gb version for Xmas....and I have to say, its a fantastic piece of kit. I'd highly recommend the Elite strap for it - although its a bit pricey. It makes the headset way more comfortable (better balanced due to the increased weight because of the built in battery pack).

Netflix and Prime Video work well - the apps have been developed well in my opinion, and with Bigscreen tv you can watch some tv shows/movies that would otherwise not be free. Quite a few excellent games are available as well.

My next job is to rip all my 3D blu-rays so I can watch them on my Quest 2.

Captain Ron

How does this set handle 3D blu-ray playback? Is there player software for it that can handle frame packed 3D? Do you get full resolution per eye like you do with a 3D capable 4K display or is it compromised?

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I've visited a couple of screenings in VR... screen door effect is a bit of a pain, but you do feel the "scale" of the big screen. Without higher resolution it won't be replacing real life any time soon.
There should be no screen door effect with the Quest 2 with its LED screen. With the increased resolution and no screen door effect I almost upgraded from my Quest. But the screen door effect is something that can be minimised and I rarely notice it these days. Plus I use my Quest for watching 3D films and black levels are important.

How does this set handle 3D blu-ray playback? Is there player software for it that can handle frame packed 3D? Do you get full resolution per eye like you do with a 3D capable 4K display or is it compromised?
As I said above, I prefer the OLED eye panels for excellent black levels so I am sticking with the original Quest but everything I am about to say still applies. I know it may not look like it, but what I am about to say is the short version :)

Quest software only handles SBS and OU, not frame packed 3D. You can convert 3D films to SBS or OU then play them natively on the headset. I play 3D disc rips on a PC player which converts the film to SBS or OU on the fly. Virtual Desktop software wirelessly sends the image back to my headset and converts it to 3D. Besides the improved picture quality, my PC is connected to my receiver so I get proper surround sound/Atmos.

I prefer to use full OU which gets me 1080p in each half. Obviously that gets downscaled a little but downscaling from a higher resolution is usually better than upscaling from a lower one. The resulting picture quality is great ,but watching on a cinema sized virtual screen will highlight source defects, usually banding. But I also use MadVR which helps to minimise these issues and gives me the best image quality possible. You shouldn't have any screen door issues with the Quest 2.

HtH

Last edited:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Bought the 256gb version for Xmas....and I have to say, its a fantastic piece of kit. I'd highly recommend the Elite strap for it - although its a bit pricey. It makes the headset way more comfortable (better balanced due to the increased weight because of the built in battery pack).

Netflix and Prime Video work well - the apps have been developed well in my opinion, and with Bigscreen tv you can watch some tv shows/movies that would otherwise not be free. Quite a few excellent games are available as well.

My next job is to rip all my 3D blu-rays so I can watch them on my Quest 2.
Yes elite strap is a must or some 3rd party version, though mine is sound like a torture devise tightening it up, and it doesn’t fit in a new case I got, so might just get the official elite one.

I also got some hand grips which for me is a must too. Pistol Whip is a real workout. Beat Saber is too, but I use the claw grip for holding the controller, so they are not needed as much.

CaroleBaskin

I made the mistake of buying a PlayStation VR after using a quest 2 for a few months. Comparatively it shows how much value is in the quest 2, wireless, headset tracking via internal cameras, much higher resolution. PSVR has been a disappointment in comparison. I understand the multiple year gap between the two devices but the quest 2 is really something special for the price point.

Be sure to apply for the free silicone face shield to replace the carbon black which can cause major skin irritation. I’m not sure if current models on shelves are sold with the default carbon black foam, they may have switched, but the option for a free replacement under the program is available.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I made the mistake of buying a PlayStation VR after using a quest 2 for a few months. Comparatively it shows how much value is in the quest 2, wireless, headset tracking via internal cameras, much higher resolution. PSVR has been a disappointment in comparison. I understand the multiple year gap between the two devices but the quest 2 is really something special for the price point.

Be sure to apply for the free silicone face shield to replace the carbon black which can cause major skin irritation. I’m not sure if current models on shelves are sold with the default carbon black foam, they may have switched, but the option for a free replacement under the program is available.

There shouldn't be anyone selling the current version as Facebook has effectively issued a recall.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member

Yeah my PSVR has gathered dust from early on after playing it. The hassle of connecting it and then using it is maddening. The camera and move controllers do not make for a great experience, at least certainly not compared to the Quest.

The only thing the PSVR has nailed is the head strap. It’s very good.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
The only thing the PSVR has nailed is the head strap. It’s very good.
Yes elite strap is a must or some 3rd party version, though mine is sound like a torture devise tightening it up, and it doesn’t fit in a new case I got, so might just get the official elite one.
There were issues with straps breaking on the elite version so Facebook stopped shipping them for a while. I assume that there is a newer version out now? I would definitely look into 3rd party options as they tend to be cheaper and can work just as well. I know the new Quest is lighter but I couldn't watch a 3 hour film on my Quest without a 3rd party strap. It's just too heavy.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Who knows. But hope so. Just madding the strap I have doesn’t fit in the case I just got. But I know the kind of shape the strap needs to be, so might look else where knowing what won’t fit.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
It's a very good VR headset but I'm really looking forward to PSVR 2.
The new version will apparently not be wireless but it will have improved hardware and it will only require a single cable and not the current mess of cables all older gen VR devices use.

Don Rogers Tash

The new version will apparently not be wireless but it will have improved hardware and it will only require a single cable and not the current mess of cables all older gen VR devices use.
By the sounds of it, the tethered system will be worth it.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
By the sounds of it, the tethered system will be worth it.
The PSVR will likely have existing users upgrading and new PS5 owners as buyers. But with the Quest 2 I think that any tethered system might need far superior hardware/functionality or a unique selling point to sell outside of that audience.

originalbadboy

"Facebook will be busy mining your personal data, but at those prices who cares?"

And therein lies the problem .. I care.

I had serious reservations about buying a Quest 1 (even though I eventually did) due to Facebook, its good to see my fears we not unfounded.

Don't get me wrong the Quest 1 is a fantastic piece of kit, but Facebook cheaped out on the Quest 2 and the facebook account requirement is a step too far for me, I want nothing more to do with FB, they are a cancer of humanity.

huxley

"Facebook will be busy mining your personal data, but at those prices who cares?"

And therein lies the problem .. I care.

I had serious reservations about buying a Quest 1 (even though I eventually did) due to Facebook, its good to see my fears we not unfounded.

Don't get me wrong the Quest 1 is a fantastic piece of kit, but Facebook cheaped out on the Quest 2 and the facebook account requirement is a step too far for me, I want nothing more to do with FB, they are a cancer of humanity.
Agreed. But bang for buck the Quest 2 is the cheapest hassle free option to get into VR, no pc or unsightly wires. Convenience and cost is enough to make most stop caring about privacy. Those defending it just trying to convince themselves.

There must be a way to use the Quest and not give away info you dont want.
Throw away device for set up (mobile/tablet) VPN etc.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Agreed. But bang for buck the Quest 2 is the cheapest hassle free option to get into VR, no pc or unsightly wires. Convenience and cost is enough to make most stop caring about privacy. Those defending it just trying to convince themselves.

There must be a way to use the Quest and not give away info you dont want.
Throw away device for set up (mobile/tablet) VPN etc.
Choices are:
1. Get a Quest 1 and this is another reason I'm sticking with mine.
2. Use a different FB account. However if they catch you they might shutdown both of your accounts.

originalbadboy

Agreed. But bang for buck the Quest 2 is the cheapest hassle free option to get into VR.

No argument there, just wish it was anyone but FB that owned the hardware. Someone else will come along eventually and do the same thing. Whether it be MS, Sony, Google, Amazon or Nintendo.

Just got to wait, and keep using the Quest 1 for now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar