Oculus downgrades PCVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atmos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Onward has been peoples go to shooter since it’s release in 2016. It’s one of my favourite VR games and I’ve had so much fun playing it over the years.

So why has Oculus ruined it? Well they’ve seen it’s popularity on Steam just like they saw BeatSabers and decided they wanted it on Oculus Home too dispute their AAA curation. They couldn’t spend their own money on their own home brew shooter, instead they had to get their claws into what was a PCVR Steam only VR game.

Getting the game on Oculus Home isn’t the problem and I don’t care either way where people launch the game from but things took a dramatic turn for the worse.

Oculus persuaded Downpour to convert the game to Quest. So where’s the problem? Well instead of creating a dedicated Quest version Downpour and Oculus decided to make Onward cross play so Quest owners get to play against PCVR players. The problem is with the map design and the way Quest doesn’t have graphics Power to resolve PCVR graphics. Trees and foliage have been cut down in the Quest version.

To make things even the same had to be cut in the PCVR version otherwise plays would be standing behind phantom trees.

This has angered the OGs because they now have to play a dumbed down version just to support the Quest and it’s lack of horse power.

So once again Oculus have taken what wasn’t theirs and turned it into poop. Well done. Congratulations.

I can only pray Valve bring out Counterstrike VR so we get to enjoy Source 2 with high end AAA graphics without the worry Oculus coming along to destroy it.

Last edited:
This could just be as likely Downpour's action to bring their game to the Quest market and make more moolah! A competitive game like Onward needs parity so there are no unfair advantages.

I absolutely agree this is terrible turn of events for PC VR but it's a bit of a stretch to assume this was all Facebook's fault.

I think Pavlov is on Quest but without Crossplay, so no need to downgrade PC players.

Of course if Facebook had never released such a potato of a VR HMD this wouldn't have happened. Yet loads of people bought one!

Last edited:
What makes me laugh is you have Microsoft who are bringing out Flight Simulator on Steam for a headset that hadn’t been released yet - no complaints about player numbers. Then we have Onward who have a healthy PCVR community with hundred of players yet they don’t mind shitting on them just to get even more sales on a platform that dilutes your game on every level.

In all my gaming history I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game degrade itself like this. I bought Onward for PCVR not to play a Quest clone. Imagine if Sony downgraded all its PS5 titles just so people could play them on the PS3!

I’m going to delete Onward off my PC because I’ll never play it again in this state.

It`s Downpour`s choice no one else's, they went where the money is. Its not like Facebook snapped them up and forced them to do it.
I`ll be keeping an eye on the user numbers that's for sure.

Happens all the time.

When Kunos decided to release AC and ACC on consoles they got dumbed down on the PC. Was that Oculus' fault too?

When Bugbear decided to release Wreckfest on consoles it arguably got dumbed down on PC.Definitely Oculus' fault, that one.

Then when Perilous Orbit made Sportsbar VR cross-platform across Oculus, Steam and PSVR the PC versions got mega dumbed down. Oculus' fault?

The Sportsbar VR one was a particular hit for me, but it did mean there would be more players around (albeit mostly annoying squeaky children) so swings and roundabouts.

I guess you think that Oculus were responsible for the end of the Argos catalogue too? And how chocolate bars are smaller than they used to be? Rise in oil prices?

The Atmos butterfly effect. When a butterfly spreads its wings on one side of the planet, it's Oculus' fault on the other.

It`s Downpour`s choice no one else's, they went where the money is. Its not like Facebook snapped them up and forced them to do it.
I`ll be keeping an eye on the user numbers that's for sure.

Oculus can’t buy Downpour because it’s like a three man band lol. If Dante quit, Oculus would be left with nothing.

Why did Oculus buy BeatSaber? That was a popular title doing alright for itself. No need for Oculus intervention. They just removed it from Arcades stopping people playing it.

But hey if people want to play Quest graphics on their PC be my guest. I’ll look for an alternative.

Happens all the time.

When Kunos decided to release AC and ACC on consoles they got dumbed down on the PC. Was that Oculus' fault too?

When Bugbear decided to release Wreckfest on consoles it arguably got dumbed down on PC.Definitely Oculus' fault, that one.

Then when Perilous Orbit made Sportsbar VR cross-platform across Oculus, Steam and PSVR the PC versions got mega dumbed down. Oculus' fault?

The Sportsbar VR one was a particular hit for me, but it did mean there would be more players around (albeit mostly annoying squeaky children) so swings and roundabouts.

I guess you think that Oculus were responsible for the end of the Argos catalogue too? And how chocolate bars are smaller than they used to be? Rise in oil prices?

The Atmos butterfly effect. When a butterfly spreads its wings on one side of the planet, it's Oculus' fault on the other.

This is a Post Of The Week candidate 😂😂😂

This is a Post Of The Week candidate 😂😂😂

You get poster of the year. We’re still waiting for the Yaw, your game and that Oculus price drop lol.

Oculus can’t buy Downpour because it’s like a three man band lol. If Dante quit, Oculus would be left with nothing.

Why did Oculus buy BeatSaber? That was a popular title doing alright for itself. No need for Oculus intervention. They just removed it from Arcades stopping people playing it.

But hey if people want to play Quest graphics on their PC be my guest. I’ll look for an alternative.
I’ve been informed the beat saber licensing for arcades has been suspended due to COVID-19
maybe downpour is going after user numbers.

This is really poor by Downpour. I wasn't playing Onward but if a game I had bought and was playing got downgraded so spectacularly I would be extremely annoyed. Definitely would be very hesitant to buy from that developer again.

Its being Steam review bombed and it thoroughly deserves it! I'd be calling for a refund.

What is laughable is the dumbed down PC build runs like arse. I was getting as low as 30 fps in the Bazar level in single player. Its a bit of a mess at the moment.

This is really poor by Downpour. I wasn't playing Onward but if a game I had bought and was playing got downgraded so spectacularly I would be extremely annoyed. Definitely would be very hesitant to buy from that developer again.

Its being Steam review bombed and it thoroughly deserves it! I'd be calling for a refund.

Some one has asked for a refund and got refused. I'm not asking for a refund because I've had hours of enjoyment with this game but i'll never play it again.

Onward is a simple game nothing Valve can't handle.

1596224008828.png

Atmos, does your hate for Oculus know no bounds?
I am sure that the producers of the game will be wanting to target a greater audience and therefore make more money (basic trading protocol).
I VERY much doubt it will be Oculus fault, this looks to me like your personal opinion, wrote to be made to look like facts (something you said you didnt do) without any evidence to back it up.
Your public deformation of them may be detrimental to AVF, so you may wish to reconsider your personal vendetta against them on these forums..

Last edited:
Thread locked pending review.

Atmos, I don't like personal opinion being presented as fact and your issues with oculus are well documented here. If you wish to edit your original post please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom