Oculus Controller Free Hand Tracking rolls out this week.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quest only for now but I really hope Rift S gets it as well (surely would be bone headed not to).

I will be interested to see how well it works. Whilst i am not expecting hugely detailed tracking like a controller, some form of hand presence when playing racing games or elite dangerous using a wheel or HOTAS would be very cool indeed.

Be interesting to see how well it's adopted and whether it can be combined with Oculus Touch, i.e. the cameras see what your fingers are doing when not in contact with the controller. Could be a much more economical way of achieving finger tracking compared to Knuckles.

Really don't understand why Rift S has been left out. Could there have been some specific hardware onboard the Quest we didn't know about?

Really don't understand why Rift S has been left out. Could there have been some specific hardware onboard the Quest we didn't know about?
paraphrasing but back in the day didnt someone from oculus say they were not not supporting rift S, just that they were only announcing quest initially?

I am really hoping they are just working on 1 for ease, and once that is working properly they will roll out to rift S. (not sure why i care... i dont have a rift S... I guess it is more a point of principle as well as a yard stick for how much they care about pcvr)

So it would seem your hypothesis is correct. There is specific hardware onboard the quest for doing the hand tracking ...... This does not mean the RiftS wont be able to do it via your pc, just that it will be different software needed, and as such, Quest is getting done 1st and then hopefully riftS will follow (but not confirmed)

Last edited:
Nice. Now I just need a movie playing app to use it and I can start carrying around my quest without the controllers and watch films on it.

Do it would seem your hypothesis is correct. There is specific hardware onboard the quest for doing the hand tracking ...... This does not mean the RiftS wont be able to do it via your pc, just that it will be different software needed, and as such, Quest is getting done 1st and then hopefully riftS will follow (but not confirmed)

To be fair, the main advantage of finger tracking is just that we can use it to navigate menus without the controllers (aka when they're not around). The Rift S doesn't have this issue so its a low priority.

Also this finger tracking won't be leap motion-level. I think it'll be good enough to get the job done but no where near good enough to replace controllers for any games.

Please Oculus, prove me wrong.

I've never been a fan of not having controllers tbh. There may be some great uses for it like having a Minority Report kind of thing (is that the right film? Can't remember!) but for the majority of games you're better off having the tactile feel of holding something in your hands for the majority of games.

VR gloves will be a better solution but only if they were the ones that were previewed on Tested years ago with an exoskeleton that makes it feel like you're gripping something.

I've never been a fan of not having controllers tbh. There may be some great uses for it like having a Minority Report kind of thing (is that the right film? Can't remember!) but for the majority of games you're better off having the tactile feel of holding something in your hands for the majority of games.

VR gloves will be a better solution but only if they were the ones that were previewed on Tested years ago with an exoskeleton that makes it feel like you're gripping something.

Exactly. Ignoring button presses, the joy of having an analogue stick to move in games of navigate menus is awesome. Tactile feedback is amazing, and why we still use keyboards and mice over dedicated touch screens.

And finally from a gaming/feedback perspective, vibrations on controllers feel so satisfying, especially in VR. Removing that sensation for not having to hold anything in your hand is not the best trade off for VR.

However, as a convenient "oh i forgot my controllers" its amazing and makes the quest headset by itself useful.

To be fair, the main advantage of finger tracking is just that we can use it to navigate menus without the controllers (aka when they're not around). The Rift S doesn't have this issue so its a low priority.

Also this finger tracking won't be leap motion-level. I think it'll be good enough to get the job done but no where near good enough to replace controllers for any games.

Please Oculus, prove me wrong.
oh sure i am not expecting controller levels of fidelity, and certainly not looking to replace controllers. Like others here, i am a fan of controllers... they have their place and will do for the forseeable future.***

but being able to see your hands tracked on a steering wheel, or possibly grab an eject level / gear lever in a WW2 Aeroplane would be enough for me.

the problem (touch at least, i dunno about knuckles) has is when using a hotas or wheel, you cant at the same time really have any hand tracking.

but i am not expecting miracles... not this gen anyway.

*** although in a hopefully not too distant future i could imagine a scenario where a game forinstance could track a real tennis racket or gold club or ping pong bat with no need for controllers there (hopefully people will only do it in a good space, otherwise imagine the complaints :D

A good write up from Ars.

They found the FOV of your hands a little narrow and it to be somewhat imprecise. If you're doing what Facebook want you to do with your hands it's works well.

I think, as others have said, this is for slow time interaction such as menus not gaming. Can definitely see how not needing controllers and being hands free to enjoy... Uh... "Media"... On your Quest could be beneficial.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom