Oculus 2 VR Ready PC suggestion

ivoru84

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just joined this amazing community, this is my first post!

I'm willing to buy a "VR ready" laptop, I would like to keep the budget under 2500 euro.

I own an Oculus 2, my first VR, I love it!

My expectations are that I want obviously to be able to play most of the "HEAVY" and "LATEST" VR games available on PC on the different platforms (Half-Life Alyx, Falcon Age, Resident Evil, Project Cars and so on) probably i miss many other games..

I will be mainly using link cable (Virtual Desktop is also an option but my wifi can be a problem!)

I'm in Europe so I would like to buy the laptop in EU to avoid custom and import fees.

I've experience in the past assembling desktop, and my fear is to spend lot of money and have incompatibilities issues (CPU,GPU,USBs and so on..)
I won't be playing PC games without VR, this will be exclusively used for the VR, so if I've issues it's going to be a disaster!

I'm finding very hard to understand what to buy, for example I thought to pick what i consider at the top in the market, eg Alienware m17 R4 or similar, but then I found out there may be incompatibilities issues with the GeForce RTX™ 3070/3080 series because of the lack of USB within the graphic card itself, oculus team itself replied to many users that this card may be not yet fully supported.

Also I will start with Oculus2 but i would like to buy something that would allow me to upgrade to a better VR in the future.

Have you guys any laptop to suggest, what can be the best option here? I want to be sure it will 100% works with Oculus 2 and most of the VR on the market.

I've been looking on VR ready laptops from Oculus website, but there are no preset configuration (e.g. falcon northwest), I still need to decide the hardware and I'm really confused about it.

I used to run my Oculus on my 5 year old laptop with an i7 CPU and GTX-1060 GPU and it ran very nicely. So it's difficult to recommend a laptop because almost any modern laptop with at least an i5 CPU (although I recommend Ryzen 5/7 or Intel i7) running an RTX-2060 (even Max Q) or better should run Oculus which few issues. If you have the money and can find a laptop with an Nvidia 30 series GPU then even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally ithink does not make sense buying a laptop if your never gonna use it for anything other than a vessel for vr to travel to the quest.do the desktop route get a 2080 version or even an older 1080ti and the cheapest monitor you can find if your TV won't do.iv seem some very decent pc sales second hand for around a grand all pre built.iv just spent 300 quid on a i5 8400 and used my 1660 super and I use virtual desktop. It looks fantastic when I play asgards wrath. Saving money for later when graphic cards become available again as gpu is everything in vr and cpu is not really gone make much difference compare to gpu upgrading. Of course this is all just my opinion and not fact

Personally ithink does not make sense buying a laptop if your never gonna use it for anything other than a vessel for vr to travel to the quest.do the desktop route get a 2080 version or even an older 1080ti and the cheapest monitor you can find if your TV won't do.iv seem some very decent pc sales second hand for around a grand all pre built.iv just spent 300 quid on a i5 8400 and used my 1660 super and I use virtual desktop. It looks fantastic when I play asgards wrath. Saving money for later when graphic cards become available again as gpu is everything in vr and cpu is not really gone make much difference compare to gpu upgrading. Of course this is all just my opinion and not fact
Good idea but I think he wants a portable solution which is why he specified a laptop.

Yeah, I would prefer a Desktop too, but it's not an option unfortunately, there is no place to play VR in any of the room where i can put a Desktop, and my wifi is not strong enough to play through Virtual Desktop..
A laptop would give me the ability of bringing in any room where I have enough space to play VR

At the moment i was considering this two models:
- alienware-m17-r4-laptop
- rog-zephyrus-duo-15-series

probably the version with the I7 and not the one with I9, any experience with these models?

About using just for VR, This will be my only laptop, i'm a programmer, and i will use it also for Virtual Machines and so on... what i meant is that I'm not going to install and play any non VR game, so my main desire is that it would be compatible with my Oculus 2 and able to run most of the available VR game on the market... possibly ALL of them! XD

Yeah, I would prefer a Desktop too, but it's not an option unfortunately, there is no place to play VR in any of the room where i can put a Desktop, and my wifi is not strong enough to play through Virtual Desktop..
A laptop would give me the ability of bringing in any room where I have enough space to play VR

At the moment i was considering this two models:
  • alienware-m17-r4-laptop
  • rog-zephyrus-duo-15-series

probably the version with the I7 and not the one with I9, any experience with these models?

About using just for VR, This will be my only laptop, i'm a programmer, and i will use it also for Virtual Machines and so on... what i meant is that I'm not going to install and play any non VR game, so my main desire is that it would be compatible with my Oculus 2 and able to run most of the available VR game on the market... possibly ALL of them! XD
Any modern laptop with at least an Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card will work. AMD cards should work but they are hit and miss.

I have an older Msi laptop
works a treat, take a look at the second hand market?

Any modern laptop with at least an Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card will work. AMD cards should work but they are hit and miss.

That's really good but I'm willing to spend more to get something that will last longer and that will be potentially compatible with next VR generation and newer games...

The only thing that turn me down a bit is that oculus 2 is not "officially" compatible yet with latest generation GPU like the GForce RTX 30 series... it is but is not...

So just afraid of spending so much money and then have to fight to make games work...or even worse, could not make them work..

I have an older Msi laptop
works a treat, take a look at the second hand market?

Can you play everything on that with Oculus 2?
I would think with that configuration you should already experience few issues with latest games, but i may be wrong

That's really good but I'm willing to spend more to get something that will last longer and that will be potentially compatible with next VR generation and newer games...

The only thing that turn me down a bit is that oculus 2 is not "officially" compatible yet with latest generation GPU like the GForce RTX 30 series... it is but is not...

So just afraid of spending so much money and then have to fight to make games work...or even worse, could not make them work..
I don't know if this helps but I have the original Oculus Quest. I've played games on my 1060 laptop which worked very nicely. I've watched 3D movies on my 20 series laptop which worked very well. I now watch movies with my 30 series desktop (obviously much more powerful) which works beautifully well. My desktop is small and portable too :)

Can you play everything on that with Oculus 2?
I would think with that configuration you should already experience few issues with latest games, but i may be wrong
I’ve used a rift and an index on it. Not a quest two. It was more of an example to help you save some pennies In the long run, I take it a laptop is a temporary solution for you.

As an RTX3080 owner with an Oculus 2, I have one question.... eh? When connected to your pc or laptop, there’s no such thing as compatibility. You’d use virtual desktop, which in turn will use your graphics card just as it would on the desktop...

As an RTX3080 owner with an Oculus 2, I have one question.... eh? When connected to your pc or laptop, there’s no such thing as compatibility. You’d use virtual desktop, which in turn will use your graphics card just as it would on the desktop...
The Oculus website specifies which cards are officially supported. That means if you have an issue with a non supported card that will refer you back to that list.

The Oculus website specifies which cards are officially supported. That means if you have an issue with a non supported card that will refer you back to that list.
3 series cards are not on the list but I'm sure myself and many others are using them (seems they are being lazy and not updating the website as 3 series isn't listed anywhere)

3 series cards are not on the list but I'm sure myself and many others are using them (seems they are being lazy and not updating the website as 3 series isn't listed anywhere)
Totally agree. I'm using a 30 series card myself. But you can see why the OP is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using a 3060ti since Christmas with my Oculus Rift 2 with no issues, if I was to advise, buy the laptop with the newest, most powerful GPU in it that you can afford

But it would be fun that an older laptop may be working better that a newer due to ""

Sorry i don't get what you mean.

I will use Link cable, and yes there may be incompatibilities with some version of GPU, now i'm not saying RTX3080 is not compatible, but it's not OFFICIALLY compatible YET, that would be the answer Oculus would give you...

Is there anyone else that is using Oculus 2 connected with LINK to a laptop using gForce 3 series???
Or even better someone using Alienware M15/17 R3 or R4 or Asus Zephyrus Duo??

That would be very helpful

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom