Octopath Traveller - July 13th

Just noticed: the first letter from each character's name spells out Octopath.

Amazing!

Played two hours so far and my party is up to two people. Really lovely graphics and music. Story a bit slow but I’m sure it will kick on.

The music is really nice. I'm tempted to buy the soundtrack.

Loving this. Put about 6 hours into it so far, started as the thief and have recruited the hunter and the cleric into my party and done their first chapters and just arrived at the scholars town.

Loving this. Put about 6 hours into it so far, started as the thief and have recruited the hunter and the cleric into my party and done their first chapters and just arrived at the scholars town.

I must be zooming through then. Done about 5 hours and already got 5 party members and completed their first chapters. There doesn’t seem to be many side quests or anything away from the story, but perhaps that will change.

I must be zooming through then. Done about 5 hours and already got 5 party members and completed their first chapters. There doesn’t seem to be many side quests or anything away from the story, but perhaps that will change.
I have been dragging it out a fair bit which I tend to do if I'm enjoying a game. That said I'm up to four party members now after 9 hours!

If you go back to previous towns you've already been to a few side quests open up in them, plus I like to go back to them when I recruit a new party member to test out their special skills on people in the towns.

Do I have to have all 8 characters before I can change the party line up at the Inn? I’ve only got 6 and can’t see that option yet.

Got all 8 characters now and expected some dialogue to describe them joining up but no. Time to get going on each of their chapter 2 stories (11 hours in by the way).

About 35 hours in here, all 8 characters, 7 secondary job shrines and two chapter 2's done. Got absolutely battered a handful of times by one chapter two boss so I've left it for now and trying some of the others first. Loving this game.

I'm 11 hours in so far and I love it so far. It really is a love letter to the golden age of JRPGs. Wonderful soundtrack and the visuals are a really unique and beautiful mix-up 16-bit with papercraft.

My only gripe is over the games technical shortcomings. The frame rate tops out at 30fps, and it really doesn't hold that all that well. Lots of frame drops in the busier areas. It's not good enough, and wouldn't be the case were this a first party title. It takes some of the shine off.

I'm 11 hours in so far and I love it so far. It really is a love letter to the golden age of JRPGs. Wonderful soundtrack and the visuals are a really unique and beautiful mix-up 16-bit with papercraft.

My only gripe is over the games technical shortcomings. The frame rate tops out at 30fps, and it really doesn't hold that all that well. Lots of frame drops in the busier areas. It's not good enough, and wouldn't be the case were this a first party title. It takes some of the shine off.

I’ve barely noticed any slow downs at all, it’s not the sort of game that really need a high FPS.

Got this over the weekend and cant put it down, been a long time since a game has absorbed me like this...remember having zero interest when it came out but the demo has since grabbed me. I actually like the art style which i didn't originally like from the original screenshots as I'm not into pixel art but the hybrid combination of HD and SD is actually quite appealing and different. Also because its turn based its actually quite relaxing to play...probably not played at turn based JPRPG in over 10 years! Can't wait for work to finish so i can put in some more time!

I'm four hours in, started off with Primrose, then wandered over to collect Olberic, and I'm now on Alfyn's quest. Absolutely loving it so far. It's utterly gorgeous to look at and there are so many nice visual touches to complement the art style (shimmering lakes, god rays, shadows on all the sprites). The music is superb too. Genuine contender for best third-party Switch game

Fast becoming my favourite Switch game. It’s a work of art.

I wanted to pick this up before I went on holiday but never got around to it. Found a local Italian game shop a couple of days back and picked it up to play by the pool.

Wasn't totally sure I'd get into it but so glad I took the gamble. Haven't been able to put it down so far and agree with others positivity towards it.

If anyone else is on the fence then I suggest you take a punt.

Pure gaming goodness that is so often lost in today's market.

What's everyone's favourite party then? I've been going slowly, about 9 hours in and have 5 characters.....I can see the scholar, cleric and hunter being staples as I love their skills, although the thiefs skill in towns is obviously great! Found the thief and merchant to be fairly weak in battle though, am guessing that the fighter will round my party out nicely when I get to him?

What's everyone's favourite party then? I've been going slowly, about 9 hours in and have 5 characters.....I can see the scholar, cleric and hunter being staples as I love their skills, although the thiefs skill in towns is obviously great! Found the thief and merchant to be fairly weak in battle though, am guessing that the fighter will round my party out nicely when I get to him?
I'm 70 hours into this now! don't know where the times gone. I started with the thief so he's been in my party all the way and I almost always take the scholar with me as I like his skill that shows the enemies weakness, then I always have a healer in my party leaving one space open for the other characters to swap in and out.

Hit a wall at the moment though, I'm on what I presume to be everyone's last chapter and I'm getting absolutely destroyed by the bosses (tried two so far) I think the few characters I have that are very under leveled are costing me. Will have to try and grind them up and look for better gear I guess. Still loving it, so hoping this doesn't take the shine off it a bit.

I got all 8 characters yesterday taken me 18 hours so not been rushing.
The setup I've decided on going forward is I will have 3 permanent and 2 I will swap.:-
Primrose (Startout Char)- Mage, with Sp regen and multiple target dark magic wipes out low level mobs quickly when travelling around
Olberic - Hard Hitting Tank
Therion - Because why buy when you can steal stuff, find him the most useful in town character so want to keep him leveled up
Orphilis / Haanit - Depending if I want a healer in the group or hard hitting group to disperse mobs quickly.

Gotta say the past 3 bosses I've annihilated! Think my first 2 characters are way too over powered now for chapter 1! I did bit of grinding before bosses when I started out, now I'm tearing through lol

This sounds like it'd be write up my street. Reading all the posts makes me think of the time I maxed out all characters in every job class in whatever older Final Fantasy it was. I almost came to enjoy the grinding, knowing it'd be worth it in the end.

Just need to get clear of Breath of the Wild, which could still take some time.

Spent a productive few hours today grinding up my lower level characters and actually really enjoyed doing it. Was nice to leave the stories for a bit and just do some random battles and looking around the towns for better loot to steal.

Finally finished this today, loved every moment of it. My final save says 95 hours so it's been pretty epic! I hear there's a final secret, after credits dungeon to do that you need all your characters to be very high levels for, but i think it's time for me to put this down for a while now.

I have just purchased this game.looking forward to giving it a go this weekend

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom