October Faction (Netflix UK) canceled after season 1

mafaa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based on the IDW graphic novels created by Steve Niles and Damien Worm, October Faction is created for television by Damian Kindler. The ten-episode first season of the series is officially described as follows:

"October Faction follows globetrotting monster hunters Fred (J.C. Mackenzie) and Deloris Allen (Tamara Taylor) who, after the death of Fred’s father, return to their hometown in New York with their children Geoff (Gabriel Darku) and Viv Allen (Aurora Burghart). In their new small-town setting, the family must adjust and assimilate while Fred and Deloris try to hide their identities as members of a secret organization.'

"As the Fred and Deloris become reacquainted with their old hometown and the secrets buried there, Geoff and Viv are forced to integrate into a place they’re unaccustomed to. Geoff deals with the close mindedness of a local bully and the more reserved Viv tries to make friends in high school."

cast

Tamara Taylor
(Bones, Altered Carbon, Lost, Justice League: Gods and Monsters) as Deloris Allen, the mother of the Allen family

J.C. Mackenzie (Molly’s Game, The Wolf of Wall Street) as Fred Allen, the father

Aurora Burghart (Sex Education) will play Viv Allen as daughter

Gabriel Darku (Impulse, ReBoot: The Guardian Code, American Gods) as Geoff Allen as son

Wendy Crewson (The Vow, Room), Megan Follows (Reign, Anne of Green Gables) and Stephen McHattie (Watchmen, Maurice Richard) also star.

October-Faction-Key-Art.jpg

Last edited:
Just about made it through the first episode. Will give it one more, but it's got a very cheap, sci-fi channel vibe to it.

I actually blitzed through this today randomly. I like anything werewolf/vampire/general monster so it appealed. I would give it 7/10 because I like the genre but if your'e not a massive fan its probably a 5/6. I really like the lore, mythology, world building that they had but the script, editing and some of the acting definitely could of done with more work, I found people become very close to each other very quickly, almost like you missed a few scenes.

Worth a watch if your'e a big fan of the genre as it has some genuinely interesting ideas but the execution isn't the best. Although I would rate it far above a Sci-fi channel average show.

completed, enjoyable :laugh: getting interesting from episode 6

Last edited:
Men In Black meets Supernatural. I've seen worse and will watch more.

it only get interesting from episode 6, beginning episodes quite draggy

I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I watched them all. 😮

Dreadful, cringy writing, dreadful characters who make the stupidest decisions with performances as though nobody involved with the production has ever met a human being with real emotions before.

I found myself shouting at the TV more than a few times. Still, the concept was fine, had they had a better budget, script and direction I think this could have been really good.

Dreadful, cringy writing, dreadful characters who make the stupidest decisions with performances as though nobody involved with the production has ever met a human being with real emotions before.

I found myself shouting at the TV more than a few times. Still, the concept was fine, had they had a better budget, script and direction I think this could have been really good.
nonetheless it is entertaining :cool:

Last edited:
Just finished this and it’s well erm 4/10 for me. The father (Fred Allen) I thought was terrible in this. I just couldn’t take to the character at all, very uninteresting. Geoff was another character I couldn’t have, though I thought the female characters all played well, not award winning quality but not terrible either. The story has a good premise but a few too many filler episodes and some drawn out a little long. If this gets a second season I will be surprised but the plot has room to breathe and grow.

A cider drinker's confession if ever I've read one.

A poor imitation of Supernatural with less of a sense of fun.

I made it to the seventh episode and gave up.

A poor imitation of Supernatural with less of a sense of fun.

I made it to the seventh episode and gave up.

You didn’t miss much of interest.

I'm reasonably entertained by this, 5½/10 so far and just two or three episodes left.
Ol baggy face looks 60 and is so mis-cast it's laughable, just the image of him holding a gun with that gormless hang-dog expression leaves me cold. I can't believe he's only 49 IRL.
I'm enjoying it more than the Witcher at least.

wached 6 eps so far - its OK and I will finish it for sure - 6/10

The last three episodes lifted this to a 6½-7/10 for us. Worth a look and the twists in the later episodes were pretty good and unexpected. If they do another season I'll definitely watch it.

agreed it got better if you stayed to the end - 7/10

Just finished watching it all. Enjoyed it right up until the last episode and then it just dropped off a cliff. The last episode was pretty appalling from a story perspective and for my wife and I ruined the rest of the season for us.

What was the scene with the cop and the demon all about and what happened to them after that? They turned up at a checkpoint, killed 4 or 5 soldiers and then were never seen again until after it was all over. What was the point of that scene at all as it didn't set anything up? Did I just sleep through a scene or did they accidentally delete it or something?

Not just that but why did the cop just accept the fact there were warlocks and demons and so on? Even more insane was that she was seemingly happy to work with them? No real "WTF is this all about" just a look of surprise and "Oh ok lets go kick arse"?????

What was that scene between Fred Allen and the warlock in limbo all about? "You can come back if you want" and then a scene showing his grave. What was the point of that entire scene? I'm guessing it's for Season 2 but it was so random and had no place in the final episode.

Did NO ONE notice or think to investigate the padlocked hole in the floor in the basement? It seemed to imply that scene was after all the rest of it had happened but it seems at no time did anyone ever look into or open the padlocked hole in the floor even though they had been in the room more than once. That's utterly ridiculous.

What happened to all the people who were "infected" by the warlock souls/spirits? There were probably 100+ people at the carnival but apparently only about 15 were infected? What happened to those people - did ALL the warlocks leave the bodies they'd been forced into? How did they know how to leave the bodies when some of them were just children? Why only 15 when there were 10's if not 100's in the village that was massacred? How were they chosen?

This season should have been split into 3. First season dedicated to the organisation, second to the demons and warlocks, third to the fight between the two. Give the story plenty of room to breathe and build the characters a little better especially the warlocks. There was way too little development of the characters in places.

Anyway overall a completely missed opportunity.

G

Just finished watching it all. Enjoyed it right up until the last episode and then it just dropped off a cliff. The last episode was pretty appalling from a story perspective and for my wife and I ruined the rest of the season for us.

What was the scene with the cop and the demon all about and what happened to them after that? They turned up at a checkpoint, killed 4 or 5 soldiers and then were never seen again until after it was all over. What was the point of that scene at all as it didn't set anything up? Did I just sleep through a scene or did they accidentally delete it or something?

Not just that but why did the cop just accept the fact there were warlocks and demons and so on? Even more insane was that she was seemingly happy to work with them? No real "WTF is this all about" just a look of surprise and "Oh ok lets go kick arse"?????

What was that scene between Fred Allen and the warlock in limbo all about? "You can come back if you want" and then a scene showing his grave. What was the point of that entire scene? I'm guessing it's for Season 2 but it was so random and had no place in the final episode.

Did NO ONE notice or think to investigate the padlocked hole in the floor in the basement? It seemed to imply that scene was after all the rest of it had happened but it seems at no time did anyone ever look into or open the padlocked hole in the floor even though they had been in the room more than once. That's utterly ridiculous.

What happened to all the people who were "infected" by the warlock souls/spirits? There were probably 100+ people at the carnival but apparently only about 15 were infected? What happened to those people - did ALL the warlocks leave the bodies they'd been forced into? How did they know how to leave the bodies when some of them were just children? Why only 15 when there were 10's if not 100's in the village that was massacred? How were they chosen?

This season should have been split into 3. First season dedicated to the organisation, second to the demons and warlocks, third to the fight between the two. Give the story plenty of room to breathe and build the characters a little better especially the warlocks. There was way too little development of the characters in places.

Anyway overall a completely missed opportunity.

G
Assumption -

sheriff Gina's experience - she shot herself - more willing to believe supernatural existence & willingness to cooperate, the cops way over powered by Presidio & Alice

Fred & Omari in limbo probably season 2

Basement only accessable by Samuel, how many secrets there nobody knows & it's size nor built neither

Regards to Warlock resurrection by Alice, probably more answers in season 2

Assumption -

sheriff Gina's experience - she shot herself - more willing to believe supernatural existence & willingness to cooperate, the cops way over powered by Presidio & Alice

Fred & Omari in limbo probably season 2

Basement only accessable by Samuel, how many secrets there nobody knows & it's size nor built neither

Regards to Warlock resurrection by Alice, probably more answers in season 2

Don't buy any of that as an excuse for the way it was written (poorly). I get that some of it was setting it up for season 2 but it was very disjointed the way it was done.

Basement clearly wasn't only accessible by Samuel as the mother knew about it and then the soldiers found it within a few minutes. Clearly Fred would have known about it too.

G

Last edited:
Don't buy any of that as an excuse for the way it was written (poorly). I get that some of it was setting it up for season 2 but it was very disjointed the way it was done.

Basement clearly wasn't only accessible by Samuel as the mother knew about it and then the soldiers found it within a few minutes. Clearly Fred would have known about it too.

G
mother & Fred not interested & they not living with him to check & likely Deloris never closed it properly that why the soldiers .. , also that the only basement ? or there are other hideouts where this monster reside in ?

Last edited:
Spoilers guys?

mother & Fred not interested & they not living with him to check & likely Deloris never closed it properly that why the soldiers .. , also that the only basement ? or there are other hideouts where this monster reside in ?

Check again. It's clearly the same basement room, with the same equipment and furniture.

I understand what you're trying to do but I'm not sure we should be trying and think up some fantastical or convoluted excuses to cover for the fact it doesn't make sense.

G

Check again. It's clearly the same basement room, with the same equipment and furniture.

I understand what you're trying to do but I'm not sure we should be trying and think up some fantastical or convoluted excuses to cover for the fact it doesn't make sense.

G
trying to list the possibility ... but still need to wait for season 2 renewal

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom