Octava Matrix Question

kevshed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just reading the install manual for one of these 4x4 matrix's - as i think this is perfect for what i need.

Clarifying questions though please, from anyone that has them.

1) It looks like IR passthrough is only done if using Cat5/6 - makes sense, but can someone confirm..... if this is true, then i wont bother running HDMI to the remote locations....

2) IR control of the switch itself.... this is a bit confusing. For the sources, there is a TX IR cable, which you put infront of the source.

Are the Switch IR commands captured when they arrive at the switch - OR, do switch commands TX to all ports etc.... I just dont get how the switch is controlled... which is a bit worrying. The manual mentions an IR Extender, which goes to a room, but i dont want to do that to every possible room....

Maybe im missing something.....

3) and finally... Is it possible to 'split' an output, i.e. Have 1 pair of ports feed 2 devices (i'm thinking plasma/projector in the same room - that will always be one/other on, not both).

Guess i need to see one to completely understand it - It looks perfect, but i guess the devil is in the detail.

If anyone has one on the south coast/M4 corridor installed that i could see i'd be grateful.

Thx
Kev

Hello kevshed

Each in-room Rx (receiver) is supplied complete with a plug in 2m IR receiver 'eye'. The IR signal is captured and sent to the Matrix over the CAT6 cables.

The Matrix has a corresponding IR output socket for each of the four HDMI/Ethernet output 'zones' and comes supplied with 4 x 4 head IR Blaster cables - you position the heads over any kit you want to control from each 'zone'.

Were looking at a range of optional IR connector units to cut down on the number of blaster heads you end up with in your rack and ways to add in a bit more intelligence to the IR control (without costing a fortune).

The Matrix is also RS232 controlled so many folk will be looking to integrate it with a control system.

If you need a PJ and Display in one 'zone' I'd suggest you add an Octava HDDA12-UK 1x2 Distribution amp to the Output of the Rx unit in that zone.

Joe

Thanks guys - appreciated.

i was looking at this switch as well, i understand everything about the passthru with the IR to the devices but still cant find a solution of how to control the actual switch in different zones i.e to change the input for each display.

If your not planning to use Programmable Remotes you can order the Matrix kit with extra Credit Card style remotes for each 'Zone'.

Joe

If your not planning to use Programmable Remotes you can order the Matrix kit with extra Credit Card style remotes for each 'Zone'.

Joe

hi Joe, sorry i havent rang you yet but with the move approaching and work been busy. i currently have 1 harmony 1000 remote and was going to get a harmony 1100 for the bedroom so i would have 2 remotes and the other 2 rroms would have the basic sky remote in.

is there a relative cheap way of solving the IR problem?

If your using the Matrix + four In-room receivers the supplied kit with the addition of one additional Octava remote along with your two Harmony remotes should sort you out.

You can control the Matrix + SKY over the CAT6 extenders - of course you will have to sort out who's in charge of the SKY box if a few folk are viewing simultaneously!!!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom