Octava matrix issues

p3eps

I’ve had a central AV installation since moving into my new build nearly 10 years ago.

Back then, I was fitted with an Octava HD48CAT4x8 Matrix. Everything has been working flawlessly until yesterday.

The sound to the TV’s started randomly dropping out. It started just dropping a second every few minutes, and became more frequent and noticeable… and then the picture started dropping too.
The whole system was rebooted, and gradually the same issue started occurring again. When standing looking at the Matrix, I could see it going off and on again.

I have a guy at work who spent many years working in TV repair shops down to component level - who said to bring it in and he’d have a look at it.
Has anyone heard of this fault and been able to repair it? It’s nearly 10 years old, so has done well!

If not - I don’t see many 4x8 units available anymore, and I’m loathed to buy an 8x8 as I only used 6 of the outputs… and even then, I only ‘really’ use 4 of them.

I currently have 2x CAT6 cables to each zone and both were used on the Octava matrix - which is only capable of 1080p. I notice a lot of the ones I’ve seen only use 1 cable, and are offering 4k. It’s been 10 years, so have they improved technology to get much better bandwidth through a single cable?

To be honest, I could probably run a 4x4 without any issues - although may need to add to it when my kids grow up a bit and have their own TV’s.

Are there any recommended brands I should be looking at, or any I should specifically be avoiding?
This has come a bit out of the blue… and I don’t want to end up spending a fortune if I don’t have to.

Appreciate any advice or insight.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
First option to try is swapping out the external PSU - get in touch we may have something suitable in stock.

Octava stopped manufacturing fixed chassis Matrix a while back - they now concentrate on the more modular HD or UHD over LAN systems which utilise a Gigabit network switch as the hub of the system, you can build any size of system you require. Happy to take you through the options.

We do also have alternative fixed chassis 4x4 options.

Joe

p3eps

First option to try is swapping out the external PSU - get in touch we may have something suitable in stock.

Octava stopped manufacturing fixed chassis Matrix a while back - they now concentrate on the more modular HD or UHD over LAN systems which utilise a Gigabit network switch as the hub of the system, you can build any size of system you require. Happy to take you through the options.

We do also have alternative fixed chassis 4x4 options.

Joe
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

I took the unit into work today and set it up on the bench. When plugging in, the lights didn’t come on the front of the Matrix at all, however the one on the balun lit up.

We checked both external PSU’s. One gave out 9V, and the other 0V. Checked it again, and both were 9V. A few more checks, and it’s seems there’s an intermittent fault with one of the PSU’s as it works one minute and not the other.

We found another 9V / 4A PSU in the workshop… so I’m going to take it all home and set it up again with this other PSU and see if there’s still an issue.

Hopefully it’s that simple!

p3eps

Just a follow up if anyone is interested.

The Matrix has been running fine since fitting the other external PSU nearly a week ago. No skipping sound, no dropping picture. Working as it should.
We ripped open the temperamental original PSU to find that the 2 large capacitors inside had given up - and were bulging at the top.
Got a couple of them off RS Components for under a quid, swapped out, and glued it back together as a spare.

All good - until next time!!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom