Answered Octava HDOCAT toslink transmit direction

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by reddom, Feb 1, 2018.

1. reddom

reddom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is probably a silly question (with the obvious answer) but which direction does the toslink connector on the HDOCAT send data in.

I have a set of these that sends HDMI from the AVR in the media cupboard to my wall mounted TV in another room via 2 Cat6 cables, and they have worked great for the last 6 years.
    I'm planning upgrading the TV to a 4K set and initially at least most 4K content is likely to be through apps on the TV. How do I get the audio from the TV back to the AVR without rewiring everything?

The TV has toslink out, and the HDOCAT has toslink ports. The ports are not labeled IN/OUT, Is it designed to send audio in the same direction as the HDMI, i.e. from transmitter (AVR) to reciever,(TV) or is it designed to send it back from the TV, in the same way that IR signals go in reverse.

thx
    RD

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by Joe Fernand, Feb 1, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    Best Answer
    If you have the units with a single TOSLINK socket on each unit they unfortunately are Uni-directional - Source > AVR/Display.

If you have the units with a dual TOSLINK socket they are Bi-directional so work either way around - you have to set a 'send/receive' Dip switch on each unit.

Joe

4. reddom

reddom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the help! Sadly it’s the single socket model. However it has occurred to me I have an unused coax cable that runs back to the media cupboard which I could probably use with a converter, there’s also an unused cat 6 cable but the tv will probably need it for 4K instead of WiFi.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    Optical over single CAT - we have used and supplied plenty of those devices.

Optical over RF - don't think we have supplied that option.

Joe

6. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    If the coax is a decent quality something like WF100 then you could use an optical to coax converter like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/POF-830-Optical-Coaxial-Converter-Optical/dp/B0015LNV2M
    Though it does require power